Freeze and crash repeatedly after 258

AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
So I've never had any problems with any NS2 buils, performance or otherwise, but now I've gotten 3 total freezes in about 3 hours of playing after 258. I have to ctrl alt delete and kill NS2, it just freezes seemingly at random. Can post more info if necessary, but too tired atm.

I'm sure I'm not the only one having this issue. My pc has run the game great through every build, on nearly every setting. Now my graphics settings are mostly low or off, but I don't know if that matters with this issue.

Comments

• Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    See I was having a very similar issue towards the end of 257, but now that 258 is here it hasn't happened yet. Not sure the cause, as my CPU and GPU temps are perfectly fine (65-70 C) even under extreme load. Yeah, like I said though this hasn't happened since 258 but it happened in 257 during the last 3-4 days of its life. I've attached a tech_support.zip that has my computer specs and ns2 settings just in case we have similar stuff and it turns out not being build related. Good luck with it though, it was extremely annoying for me when I was experiencing it.

• phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2013
    If Achilles could post any info about what he thinks might be causing it / if there might be any crash windows hidden behind the crashed NS2 screen, it would be most helpful.

Perhaps the first thing to check might be what rendering option you're using - DX9 is currently the most stable, followed by DX11 and OpenGL in no specific order (in my experience). I can't remember when the cache changes went in, between the rendering options, but that also caused odd problems (before the changes).

I'm currently seeing some strange crashes for no reason when I join a team, but restarting and rejoining the same server resolves it for me, but that might not be in the "steam" version (i.e. beta test only).
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    Yeah I'm using DX9, most options turned off except for medium textures and shadows + reflections at times. The freeze literally happens at random. First time I was Lerking through Drone Bay, second time I was at an Armory, third was just walking down a hallway iirc.. Match times and activity were all different.

It's annoying, but I can just restart and rejoin without a problem. I had a bit of an optimization hiccup after 258, in that I optimized, but when I reloaded, the game said I needed to optimize again so did it again.

I'll try verifying my game cache, and some other things to see if that works. Might just be me. If you want more info, just let me know. I'll post whether the problem persists or not over the next few days.
  • void_876void_876 Jamaica Join Date: 2013-10-19 Member: 188762Members
    I'm having exactly the same problem. Totally random freezes. I used to think it was certain key combinations that did it, but it really does seem to be random now.

I also never used to have any problems with previous builds.

I've tried DX9 and 11, changing my settings to low, verifying my game cache repeatedly to no avail.

I had that same double optimization happen as well.

Let me know what other info I can add to help.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Same. AFAICR, the 2 last time where when I was either shooting LMG or being shot by a LMG (my be something else thought).

(Late 257 & 258)

edit : just rehappenned when reloading...
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    guys, it would be super helpful to get log files when you crash. If you get the option to send a tech support zip to UWE, please do it. other wise post them in here and we can see what we can discover /replicate
  • void_876void_876 Jamaica Join Date: 2013-10-19 Member: 188762Members
    edited October 2013
    So I followed Confused's awesome post here forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post#latest, reset my options and haven't had any freezing since. Game immediately felt smoother after re-optimizing.

If I experience it again, I'll create a tech support zip.

edit: typo
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • EvergreenEvergreen France Join Date: 2013-11-13 Member: 189334Members
    Hi,

I've the same problem described in this page. The game completely freezes randomly, in any situation (Humans or Aliens, weapons, lifeformes...). Sometimes I can play for hours without any problem, sometimes these freezes happened 3 times in a row. These freezes started on mid-October, about 2 NS2 updates ago (sorry I don't remember exactly).

I have done the procedures described in the FULL NUKE NS2 GUIDE, Re-installation, reset options... but the problem still occure. Can you help me ?

These are the usefull files your demand :

Log : https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mcda9szel54nr0/log.txt
    Tech Support : https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6oegb952g3vfgi/TechSupport.zip

Tell me if you need something else.

Thanks.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Error: lua/Weapons/Marine/Rifle.lua:375: Attempt to access an object that no longer exists (was type Cinematic)
    [Client] Script Error #1: lua/Weapons/Marine/Rifle.lua:375: Attempt to access an object that no longer exists (was type Cinematic)
    Is usually a harmless error that we don't know the cause of. Don't know why it would be giving you a bigger error than normal.
    Other than the ridiculous amount of mods that server is running, I'm sure that's the cause, a conflicting file in a mod somewhere