Natural Selection 2 Build 258 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Marines need to feel extra powerful since they get all the nice new models for $75 :)

I'm looking forward to a session tonight.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    Seems stable now. Congratulations.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Marine Jumping is fine (I play aliens approx 95% of the time).

I say take away jump from everything or leave as is.
  • RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
    - The commander selecting/deselecting bug of i.e. drifters needs to be researched further as it's still there. Saying that it's irreproduceable isn't good enough. It happens to me several times every single round that i command.

- I haven't tested build 258 yet, but in 257 drifters were unable to build the hive in Platform on Biodome.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    *I'm a little disappointed to see the simple things not being done:
    -Alien vision apparently not improved (i may be wrong about that particular matter)
    -SJ is still here. Bo...oring!
    -Nothing said about "rubber banding" (lag issues).
    -Keybindings...
    Texture bug are a concern but not the main obviously. Sad. Worse is not having any message from UWE about the simple issues many players want solved/improved (keybindings).

The focus of this patch wasnt movement or alien vision, but performance and stability. And yes, the rubber banding issues have been fixed. Keybinding also would have been a big change for a patch which had the focus to make the game run better for everybody. I'm not sure what you mean by the texture bug.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited October 2013
    - a skulk can climb the fricking wall and the ceilings!!
    - a lerk can FLY!!!
    - a fade can T E L E P O R T! ! !

can the marines atleast have jump? Make it stay the same, because if you cannot kill a marine go gorge and support those who can.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Did we really need those nerfs? I haven't found whips and any of the drifter abilities to be much of an issue as a marine.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    SeeVee wrote: »

As a A0W0 Marine I don't give two craps about a skulk. The only way to lose that is to fail at aiming or run out of mouse mat. You can easily out pace a skulk for a jump or two, after which you should have unloaded an entire clip.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah it was needed. Muccous basically made an onos invulnerable and bombard whips 1 shot A3 and decimated any structures or power nodes nearby. An ability they get for free and automatically use.
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    Even in NS1 the marine loses their momentum with successive jumps. I don't mind the current acceleration and distance, but it's the ability to recover and continue these jumps that concerns me.
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Did they really not tone down the marine jumping? The only people defending that change are the people that play nothing but marines.

I play aliens just as much as marines and I have no problem with the SJ. If you expect to get a kill from sitting on the floor and holding mouse1 you deserve to die. Control your bites, use the walls, and try to attack in places that give the best alien advantage. AKA use your brain. I mean, you already have the advantage of walking on every surface, jumping/running at incredible speed, and throw in the "phantom" ability... if that combination doesn't get you kills then your not using the skulk properly.
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love the new loading times! They are like "omg zooooommmm!"

Quote from a server: "Now I don't have time 2 pee anymore..."
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Even in NS1 the marine loses their momentum with successive jumps. I don't mind the current acceleration and distance, but it's the ability to recover and continue these jumps that concerns me.

Agreed, if I strafe jump and miss the skulk and need a reload, i should die with ease.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    SeeVee wrote: »

Playing 99% alien since SJ, always on top 3, 4 scores, and i still vote against.
    Many reasons: Lag issue (wall jump too), unskilled marines get away, ridiculous to watch from a distance. 2 opponent jumping around... all the things already said. This is junk.

The greatest argument would be : you don't implement something in the gameplay when it deeply relies on the weakness of your engine. Anything that is lag (network or CPU bounded) related is ultimately wrong in this game.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited October 2013
    So Aliens could sometimes whip rush and have succes. Takes a team effort to do right. Incredibly fun and rewarding.

UWE: "omg nerf whips immediately"
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Asraniel wrote: »
    *I'm a little disappointed to see the simple things not being done:
    -Alien vision apparently not improved (i may be wrong about that particular matter)
    -SJ is still here. Bo...oring!
    -Keybindings...
    Texture bug are a concern but not the main obviously. Sad. Worse is not having any message from UWE about the simple issues many players want solved/improved (keybindings).

The focus of this patch wasnt movement or alien vision, but performance and stability. And yes, the rubber banding issues have been fixed. Keybinding also would have been a big change for a patch which had the focus to make the game run better for everybody. I'm not sure what you mean by the texture bug.

Let's say "graphical bug fixes" instead of "texture bugs".

Fixes
    Fixed the depth test not being properly set in D3D9 on the first rendered frame
    Fixed bug where shadows and ambient occlusion effects would be rendered incorrectly after a device reset in D3D9
    Fixed bug where Infestation would not be visible after a device reset in D3D9
    Fixed bug where going from windowed mode to fullscreen windowed mode and back to windowed mode would result in the loss of the window border
    Fixed bug where textures would be lost if the device was reset while the map was loading
    Fixed bug where UI textures were loaded into video memory and system memory
    Fixed bug where updating drivers on OpenGL would not cause the shaders to be recompiled
    Fixed hitching and visual artifacts when the menu menu cinematic was first shown
    Changed uncompressed animations to be sampled at a lower rate on 32-bit systems without large address space to conserve memory
    Fixed bug where textures would load in very slowly if texture streaming was disabled
    Fixed bug where toggling the bloom option on and off would cause graphical corruption in OpenGL

Optimizations
    Added caching of compiled .effect files (speeds up loading shaders and reduces memory fragmentation during loading)
    Changed D3D11 shaders to compile at the maximum optimization level

Nice but not what i wanted to see fixed.

Well; i believe a lot of people were expecting something else. I mean the NS1 greatness wasn't the graphics, Right ? It was okay as long as we had the game working and somehow balanced. So why NS2 is (IMO) to much focusing on graphics or cosmetics while the player base is shrinking and obviously asking for something else ? First thing first.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    The only problem with marine jumping I see right now is that it looks ridiculous. It's like the marine is suddenly rocketed to a random direction at full speed.

It is a fun mechanic to play with/against, but at the same time it looks silly and the fact that I'm a 4 legged beast and I'm getting out accelerated by a human nags at me a bit.

So I don't know. I guess I'm in favor of the time before ninja-acceleration, simply because I didn't find anything wrong with marine movement then. I guess my mind could be changed if some really good marine would come and tell what kind of moves make it a fun thing to do.
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    Max wrote: »
    Omega_K2 wrote: »
    -Keybindings...
    The server "rubber banding" issue we identified was caused by the shotgun (and other bullet weapons to a lesser degree) causing a large slowdown on the server. The log message is "Removed Server hitch caused by shooting the Shotgun in some cases".

We are working on solving issues with non-US keyboard layouts that were introduced in the Reinforced patch. I don't know if this is what you mean by keybindings.

If we could properly remove key bindings in game and shift from any "hard coded" bindings. Think HL1 under steam when you change keys.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    rkfg wrote: »
    Played 3 or 4 rounds without a crash on Linux/OpenGL. Great job so far! Though FPS isn't smooth on higher settings, it stutters a lot for me. Medium textures, reflections and shadows on and everything else off == quite smooth. If I won't experience any nasty crashes tomorrow I'll start complaining about that next ;]
    You will get shutters first game when it loads some things still
    It was constant, not just the first time. I'll investigate more.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited October 2013
    Drifters still cost as much as one harvester? :(
    reeql wrote: »
    Maybe isnt broken but is ***** annoying and non friendly for new players. Deal with it.

Actually it is too forgiving to newer players which is precisely why I hate it. A marine with terrible aim can miss me completely on the approach but hop around enough to make up for it.

You still lose momentum after successive jumps if you immediately jump afterwards. However the cooldown time for a new full strafe jump is something like 1 second on the ground.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited October 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Kamamura wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Inb4 rage that strafe jump wasn't nerfed. B-)

I am passed rage

Fixed, god damn it I hate this misspelling more than any other in the English language.

er... wut? You serious?
    Max wrote: »
    We are working on solving issues with non-US keyboard layouts that were introduced in the Reinforced patch. I don't know if this is what you mean by keybindings.

Awesome!

edit: Wait. That were introduced?
    Did you ever try to build a robo factory with a german keyboard some months ago?

:\
    not true. I experience no cool down if I use nothing but strafe augmented with a twist of my wrist and occasionally crouching.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Jekt wrote: »
    Yeah it was needed. Muccous basically made an onos invulnerable and bombard whips 1 shot A3 and decimated any structures or power nodes nearby. An ability they get for free and automatically use.
    I was alien commanding the last test game before we pushed the build out and I honestly didn't even notice the mucous change and since I missed the checkin when it happened I had no idea it was even in there. Even with the nerf it's still pretty dang useful and probably won us the game with a very narrow early game defense.

All in all the balance changes are all very good, small tweaks... y'know, the kind of thing people had been asking for in future patches. A focus on fixes, performance, and small tweaks.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    There is both a cooldown on strafejumps, and a slowdown applied on land for marines. The fact of the matter here is 95% of the people complaining about strafe jump have absolutely 0 clue on how it works, or why its removal will change almost nothing. The problem is not the small amount of speed you gain from a strafe jump.

The double jump from ns1 was way more useful that the crappy strafe jump thats in ns2 currently, and about equally as situational. However most people here probably dont even know what that was.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    xDragon wrote: »
    or why its removal will change almost nothing. .
    Oh good, so then there's really no argument to keep it then.
    Glad that's settled.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Crispix wrote: »
    Already found a nasty bug. If server is full, all sounds get louder and louder including music.
    Were you 100% certain this occurred on a Vanilla (no mods) server??

This happens when trying to join any server. It's not in-game sounds, it's all menu sounds and menu music that gets louder. This is regardless of joining a server that is full, or is an older build version.

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    I want it removed, i have been saying to do that forever now... But like i said, it wont fix anyone's complaints on here. I actually wanted them to remove it silently to see if people actually realize its changed.