Natural Selection 2 Build 258 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNatural Selection 2 Build 258 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Keep on truckin’. It is time for another update to Natural Selection 2! Even though this build took a little longer than we had hoped (alert: World first!) we are very happy with it. 258 addresses many issues that have been plaguing NS2 play since the release of Reinforced. First and foremost, our aim has been the reduce the incidence of crashes for users on 32-bit operating systems. Such crashes should be much, much less frequent now – Though we are not declaring total victory yet. As usual, we will be on the lookout for anything exploding tonight. Despite extensive testing, there is always the chance that something has slipped through. If you encounter something nasty, post it up in …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    By the power of the bump I command this comment section to open!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Long time coming, but it got here! Thanks.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Congratulations on posting the changelog as soon as the update went live. thanks :)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Glad to see it's out!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Removed Server hitch caused by shooting the Shotgun in some cases
    This applies to both the client hitch when you fire the shotgun and the server hitching that could occur as a result of lots of hitscan requests going off at the same time (which was the main performance problem plaguing servers the last few weeks).
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Inb4 rage that strafe jump wasn't nerfed. B-)

Perhaps it was and they just left it out of the changelog to see if people actually notice. :>
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    TYPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :

"Fixed hitching and visual artifacts when the menu menu cinematic was first shown"
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Already found a nasty bug. If server is full, all sounds get louder and louder including music.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Removed Server hitch caused by shooting the Shotgun in some cases

YAY!
  • shadenshaden Join Date: 2013-10-15 Member: 188700Members
    edited October 2013
    The menu is all black and very laggy. Can't see anything.
    EDIT :: Restarting my computer did the job. Seems like graphic cards were upset with the driver.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Crispix wrote: »
    Already found a nasty bug. If server is full, all sounds get louder and louder including music.
    Were you 100% certain this occurred on a Vanilla (no mods) server??
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Damn. Still no fix for the server queue issue where it always try to connect even when no free slot is available. :(
  • james-lee.warjames-lee.war Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76058Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold
    edited October 2013
    I concur with Crispix. My sound got ridiculously loud when just trying to join any server (full or not). I was getting booted of course cause the builds were different, but when kicked back to the server list my sound is at least 50% louder.
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Inb4 rage that strafe jump wasn't nerfed. B-)

Perhaps it was and they just left it out of the changelog to see if people actually notice. :>

Strafe jump is still there. :>

Marines will continue to feed on the tears of furious Skulks.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Turn your server mods off, ops! Don't join modded servers until they're fixed!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    Damn. Still no fix for the server queue issue where it always try to connect even when no free slot is available. :(
    We have no reports of this? PM me details if u can please.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I believe this has something to do with reserved slots.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    is 32 bit crash stil happen in Windows XP and 7 ? But its only got less frequent ?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    This is my favorite patch so far of the past months. Good Job everyone involved.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Crispix wrote: »

I thought this is how parties worked.

"Oh it is getting crowded. I better speak up so my friends can hear me. Huh, now I can't hear the music because everyone is talking over each other, better turn that up. Yeah. Now it's bumpin' in here." *eardrums explode*
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Marines strafe jumping still as high and far as Skulks, if not higher.
    I guess i missed the newspost where Skulks mated with Marine females and created the jumping marine variant we see now.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    I can see dev textures in the editor again!
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    No jump fix.. UWE you fail hard yet wonder why this game is dying.
    @Turbine what's wrong with jump? I haven't noticed any problems...?
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Turbine wrote: »
    No jump fix.. UWE you fail hard yet wonder why this game is dying.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

The ability to Jump still isent a paid DLC

• TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Seen all the messages on these forums about it and SamusDroid's comment in this thread. Or seen a marine jump? They jump miles high, a few versions ago it was okay.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seen all the messages on these forums about it and SamusDroid's comment in this thread. Or seen a marine jump? They jump miles high, a few versions ago it was okay.

yeah, I hate jetpacks too

*whoosh*

Also it seems ok to me.