Just finished watching "Gravity" (no spoilers)

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
...wow what a movie! This is one of the most intense films I've ever seen. Watch it in Imax 3D, it's definitely worth it.

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Man Sandra Bullock grunts a lot in the trailer.
    Can you tell what makes the movie great? Without spoiling ofcourse.
  • MarZMarZ Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162473Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Zaggy wrote: »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454468/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This score makes the movie great^^ All movies with higher score than 8 can be seen without doubts. I have not seen gravity so far, so i cant say why it is great^^

Btw i hate watching trailers, they are spoilering most times too much. Currently I only watch movies by suggestions from imdb or friends. For me it is enough to know which genre the movie depends to or in which age it plays.

EDIT: The movie is awesome, i saw it yesterday in 3D(btw i dont like these 3D glasses^^). The story itself is not the oustanding element. It is the presentation. The panorama, the point of views, the atmosphere, the high realism of the shown space(non gravity, impuls preservation). Including one "wtf scene", which blows your mind. You know which after watched the movie^^
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Man Sandra Bullock grunts a lot in the trailer.
    Not sure if movie is in correct genre :>

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Trailers and clips for Gravity don't really spoil the experience.

Part of the enjoyment for me was, being a filmmaker myself, trying to figure out how they did most of these shots.

Watch this, and think about how many cuts there are (it's zero :) ). This isn't a spoiler btw, this happens at the beginning of the film.

It's not an action-packed orgy of destruction like a transformers film, but I enjoyed this much much more. I saw it in imax 3d as well, so everything felt super real.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The most intense 90 minutes I have ever spent in a movie theater. This movie starts moving and just doesn't stop. It has an incredible pacing, beautiful and terrifying visuals and a core emotional story that works super well (most of the time).

I am the last person to tell you 3D is anything but a fad and a gimmick but this film truly does elevate the 3D medium. It adds depth and scale in a truly awe inspiring way, and makes the tense scenes inside the space crafts that much more claustrophobic. So if you go see it, go see it in 3D and preferably IMAX.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    So, I completely agree. go find the biggest, 3dest, screen you can and watch this film. its good. Best Film I have seen in a long while.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MarZ wrote: »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454468/?ref_=nv_sr_1

This score makes the movie great^^ All movies with higher score than 8 can be seen without doubts. I have not seen gravity so far, so i cant say why it is great^^

Btw i hate watching trailers, they are spoilering most times too much. Currently I only watch movies by suggestions from imdb or friends. For me it is enough to know which genre the movie depends to or which age it plays.

Not many films get 8+ on IMDB, I think I will give this a watch
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2013
    I honestly give this movie a 6/10, maybe a 7/10

While the special effects are amazing, the movie itself is predictable and quite frankly.. boring; the movie fails to build any sort of connection to the characters or give you any type of grabber to keep you interested; it's basically a modern movie made for people with short attention spans who can't watch a story build via character interaction for longer than fifteen minutes

Does it keep you interested to keep watching? Sure, with the amazing special effects and curiosity for outer space; but does the story leave any type of lasting impression or any chance of being unpredictable and wondering what happens next? No, and that's where it falls short

Also 3D is pretty awful in the movie theater setting, because movie theaters are still using projectors; the only way to get a really good 3D image is on one of those 3d LCDs with the fancy battery operated glasses, for whatever reason a projector (or the ones they use which are probably ancient) at theaters cannot compare to the new technology

so being honest, you can wait for this movie to be a four dollar blue ray; movie theaters are extremely expensive and almost never worth it, my favorite part was the person snoring behind me; or the people talking in front... maybe the constant sounds of people breathing or munching...... miserable

I mean compare this to a movie like UP, I don't really remember a single characters name in gravity and I saw it like two days ago; meanwhile in UP which I haven't seen for probably over a year, I can recall every single characters name, how they look, their traits, and some history about their past... that movie connected you with the characters, made you have feelings for the characters as if they were important; heck UP is one of the best movies of all time; not THE best movie of all time, but if there was a top 50 list I'd throw it up there

Being a very new amateur in film production though, I am curious how a lot of the camera angles were taken or how they even simulated space (or were they in space? or in water with some type of amazing editing) honestly don't know
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ezekel wrote: »
    I honestly give this movie a 6/10, maybe a 7/10

While the special effects are amazing, the movie itself is predictable and quite frankly.. boring; the movie fails to build any sort of connection to the characters or give you any type of grabber to keep you interested; it's basically a modern movie made for people with short attention spans who can't watch a story build via character interaction for longer than fifteen minutes

Does it keep you interested to keep watching? Sure, with the amazing special effects and curiosity for outer space; but does the story leave any type of lasting impression or any chance of being unpredictable and wondering what happens next? No, and that's where it falls short

Also 3D is pretty awful in the movie theater setting, because movie theaters are still using projectors; the only way to get a really good 3D image is on one of those 3d LCDs with the fancy battery operated glasses, for whatever reason a projector (or the ones they use which are probably ancient) at theaters cannot compare to the new technology

so being honest, you can wait for this movie to be a four dollar blue ray; movie theaters are extremely expensive and almost never worth it, my favorite part was the person snoring behind me; or the people talking in front... maybe the constant sounds of people breathing or munching...... miserable

I mean compare this to a movie like UP, I don't really remember a single characters name in gravity and I saw it like two days ago; meanwhile in UP which I haven't seen for probably over a year, I can recall every single characters name, how they look, their traits, and some history about their past... that movie connected you with the characters, made you have feelings for the characters as if they were important; heck UP is one of the best movies of all time; not THE best movie of all time, but if there was a top 50 list I'd throw it up there

Being a very new amateur in film production though, I am curious how a lot of the camera angles were taken or how they even simulated space (or were they in space? or in water with some type of amazing editing) honestly don't know

Did you see it in Imax 3d or just some random theater's 3d? I've been to some theaters where the 3d is terrible. Hold that against the theater, not the film. Also, projected 3d is better than shutter glasses. No flickering in your perhipheral. (I have shutter glasses for my computer for doing stereo work, I know).

I don't know what you're talking about with the characters, but I definitely felt connected to them. I can't go into too much detail without spoilers though... let's just say I wish things had turned out a little bit differently for some :(

Also, pretty much every shot was actor in lightbox w/ motion controlled camera, roto'd, and placed over full cg background.
    It's not the 3D that had any weighing into my rating of the movie, I personally wanted to see it in 2D, and no I was not in Imax, I was at a regular theater with their 'projector' attempting 3d (aka it doesn't look 3d at all, just makes the whole movie darker)

I personally don't even want to see movies in 3D, but there was no option with the times it was being shown, anyway it's my opinion
    ezekel wrote: »
    It's not the 3D that had any weighing into my rating of the movie, I personally wanted to see it in 2D, and no I was not in Imax, I was at a regular theater with their 'projector' attempting 3d (aka it doesn't look 3d at all, just makes the whole movie darker)

I personally don't even want to see movies in 3D, but there was no option with the times it was being shown, anyway it's my opinion

3D is always darker because of the methods required to isolate each image for its intended eye. With active shutter glasses 3d, the "shutter" has to be closed slightly more than half the time, so you're losing more than half your light. Even with my 3d monitor, 3d still appears MUCH darker, which just means I have to use it in a dark room. With the other kind of 3d, the kind that RealD and Imax use, the glasses are cheap, passive things, but the polarization of the lenses means that you're still losing about the same amount of light in each eye.

Tldr: doesn't matter if it's a projector or a computer monitor, you're still going to have a darker image.

I know some people don't like 3d, and I respect that. But still, this is the one movie you really need to see in IMAX 3d.
    edited October 2013
    lol thanks for the not needed explanation, regular screen > projector for 3d

Also watching it in super 3d won't change my opinion on the actual movie not being that good, also I would have watched it in 2d if I had the option; watching movies in 3d is obnoxious imo :P

As for good movies, I recently watched "The Call" and thought that was pretty awesome, a few scenes could have been done a bit better.. but other than that pretty realistic and awfully creepy/suspenseful
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the picture is darker, then shine a torch into it. It should help
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I'm surprised no one else has been That Guy yet so I guess I'll do it. I worry I'm going to have a difficult time suspending disbelief with all the KSP I've played lately. Like, that jetpack thing? It only has something around 5 m/s of Δv. Nevermind the massive differences in orbits between start and destination, but you'd barely even be able to start moving anywhere away from where you started with that thing.

There's some nice touches to actual space flight realism, though, and it is nice to see a sci-fi movie about how goddamn hard it is instead of cool it would be if it were easy. NASA needs more funding, yo.