NS2 bugs/balance issues. @UWE

xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
This is a continuation of my previous topic I just wrong about the marketing and rookie proofing of NS2. I will be addressing some commonly known bugs that should be addressed maybe not in this next update but the update coming afterwards.

Again, TLDR warning.

High priority
- Don't post exploits. The previous report was moved to the internal forums, not deleted, and the issue is known. -Narfwak
- Assault rifles animation jam up (somtimes*) after sprinting, animation freezes completely until you switch weapons and back.
- Assault rifle also jams up randomly and doesn't allow you to shoot, this has been experienced with multiple people.

Medium priority
- Jetpacks appear to fail to take off sometimes when reloading a flame thrower.
- The server list anti spam timeout appears to be a bit too low, or the cooldown is too high, this is to prevent DDoS or spam attacks by using the refresh function, but this does sometimes cause the client to not see any servers.
- Some servers are determined as LAN on the server list but are actually online when full, when attempting to connect instead of waiting for the client to determine it's an online server it will evade the queue, connect to the server and bring up the loading screen and then kick you out for the server being full.
- Parasite textures sometimes show up black on some sections of your first person model.

Visual Improvement
- Shadows on the main menu UI are low resolution and draw away from the visual appeal, I think it would be nice if it were like Portal 2/Left 4 Dead 2 where it transitions through different UI screens, such as the original, GORGEous, and Reinforced UI menu screen whenever going back to the main menu.
- Phase gates lack animation, they are a still image that seems to have poor resolution, but when power surged they have a nice square particle effect.

Balance concerns
- Veil, System Waypoint is a major choke points for aliens in sub sector, not allowing them to cyst out and forces gorges in nanogrid and cargo to maintain the res nodes with gorge tunnels until system waypoint is secured. This significantly reduces the aliens ability to gain map control in early game as it makes them have to maintain that section at all time.
- Docking, while I did enjoy it being a 4 tech map, that's not my concern. Maintenance access/ball court and stability access are major cut off points for alien expansion, my proposal would be the north point and east point doorways to be merged into one room, only allowing 1 choke point but 2 access ways in the northern section of courtyard.
- Docking, the generator and departures power nodes should be moved to a more visible area from the hives view, I propose generator being moved near the tech point and the door frame of the departures east section near the power node being removed, to make them a bit more easier for aliens to see but still accessible for strategic marines.
- Mineshaft, late game Marines are easily able to take cave with jetpacks due to it's high ceiling and various perching points, defensive structures such as whips and hydras cannot reach marines due to the rooms large volume.
- Biodome, res nodes are blocked by various structures and railings that make rooms such as Seeding and Canopy easy rooms for aliens to evade shots on the marines end, ruining the marines ability to gain map control due to its forced reception spawn.
- Refinery, the vent in chasm and containment can be handled with a gorge a bit too easily, resulting in bilebomb of either the power or important marine assets.
- Parasites last for 44 seconds, I think it would be nice if Armories removed the parasites again.

Proposal/Suggestion
The welder is an addon for the building tool in document in the deluxe edition concept art .pdf, however the welder replaces your switch-axe resulting in you carrying both the welder and build tool. I've mentioned that instead of this being a solution the right click instead of being a rifle butting bind, the rifle melee animation can be moved to a keybind and welding of marines/building of structures should be right click. That way you can weld marines and structures and more quickly switch back to your weapon when released, allowing a bit more agility to marines. To clarify why welding cannot be E, it's the use key, welding armories would result in you accessing the purchase screen and welding a MAC would result in it offering you a coffee. With this option, welding being the primary build tool when purchased would also make building things as a marine more stealthy as the welder makes a quieter sound.

Comments

• JackieChenJackieChen Pakistan Join Date: 2013-10-14 Member: 188691Members
    thank you for sharing...!
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good stuff and details, this kind of feedback moves the development forward and improves the experience for all :D
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited October 2013
    It would have been nice if you had posted these in this thread rather than making a new thread. A number of these are actually known or already fixed in 258.

Reread your post and had to censor the first one. Seriously, stop it. That stuff doesn't stay in public discussion for a reason. It's known. Move on.
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Narfwak wrote: »
    It would have been nice if you had posted these in this thread rather than making a new thread. A number of these are actually known or already fixed in 258.

It's the reason why I said I already discussed one of the major bugs with @IronHorse, but the lack of response from the forum, UWE support, and him, made me think about starting my own thread of common issues I've come across personally. I figured I would start a fresh thread on the little things that are needed to be addressed in the possible (October 31st?) patch, as I doubt they will make it in the next update due to the Monday/Tuesday deadline.

[Edit] Noticed you removed one of the important issues, good on ya', it's all I wanted to know as I was left without a response on that issue.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    If you don't get a response don't assume that it went unnoticed. We always promptly report exploits that are reported.

In the mean time I would request that you post any bugs you have questions about in the thread that we actually monitor for that purpose as it's too much hassle to manage an entire forum full of questions about bug reports or upcoming updates. The rest of the post probably belongs here. With that said, sorry, gonna have to lock this.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @xbluexfoxx
    Yea I've been away from the forums for a few days now, needed a bit of a break.
    Typically i'm much more responsive, i apologize for the lack of response.
This discussion has been closed.