Accidental Beacon - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageAccidental Beacon - Natural Selection 2

We’ve all been that commander, or the marine on the ground when it happens. The misclick, the wrong hotkey, the shame as all marines are beaconed back to base by accident. Today, the forces of darkness assembled against poor WasabiOne, and the Natural Selection 2 World Championship (NS2WC) suffered a distress beacon that no one intended. All donations made over the past twenty four hours (Almost 10% of the goal, or 3,000) have been refunded and ticker reset to $0. Here is an explanation from WasabiOne about what happened: “An error occurred on the GoFundMe site that was forwarding contributions for the NS2 World Championship directly to our PayPal account rather than holding them for the All or Nothing …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    And with another witty, pithy comment, another thread is opened!
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    That's unfortunate, but as I mentioned before, the whole thing is moot.
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Looks like it reset a second time?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    worst email I have ever received :P and look, at the end of the day if we dont raise enough money the event doesnt happen and thats fine. But if people do like the idea and we do raise enough money then awesome! it doesnt hurt anything either way :)
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Btw, any reason on why using "Go fund me" rather than kickstarter/other alternative ?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    RedSword wrote: »
    Btw, any reason on why using "Go fund me" rather than kickstarter/other alternative ?
    Most likely because people outside the US can't donate to Kickstarter.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    RedSword wrote: »
    Most likely because people outside the US can't donate to Kickstarter.

That's incorrect; people outside the US and Canada can't start Kickstarter campaigns, but they can (and do) donate to them. The Mighty No. 9 kickstarter should be a pretty visible example to the contrary, with the Japanese campaign site providing instructions in Japanese on how to make a donation on the English-only site.

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    There is no place called Koln in Germany ....
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    lol...

The whole tournament is doomed, anyway. A shame, actually.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Ghostthree3 hahaha that's matching perfectly. ... Lame :)
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    On a side note, I guess these unwanted events are probably much more amusing for many people than an actual, real tournament could ever be.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Could we finally stop the sarcasm around here?
    Its great that the community organizes those events, naturally UWE will support such a big event. I'm for one look forward to it. As a pub player we can count on UWE trying to improve the game to give players the best experience possible during that event, including performance and bugfixes, something that will affect all of us.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Could we finally stop the sarcasm around here?
    Its great that the community organizes those events, naturally UWE will support such a big event. I'm for one look forward to it. As a pub player we can count on UWE trying to improve the game to give players the best experience possible during that event, including performance and bugfixes, something that will affect all of us.

Well, I guess you can order people to be quiet, but you cannot change their feelings (even military commanders and dictators cannot).

Many people contributed to the Reinforcement program because they love the game, and they care about its final polish, features and balance. So they probably thought - yeah, if it just takes more funds to see my favorite game to be finally finished, then so be it, I will be happy to contribute. And some people contributed ridiculously high sums, I must say.

And what signals they get in return?

- 258 patch is late (again)
    - Public statement that the 150k $ or so was nice, thank you all, there will definitely be some patches, but now UWE is moving to another project. I think for many people this was like a slap in the face, but I calmed myself down, and thought okay, the money was given no strings attached, true, but until I see NS2 in reasonably finished state, I am not buying/donating anything anymore.
    - People are asked YET AGAIN in a short period of time for funds, this time for a tournament that players may or may not care about. This could be okay, if it did not give so clear impression that finishing NS2 is really not the highest priority. And that, my brother, is sad.

From PR perspective, it would be much better for UWE to show a period of honest effort, trying to finish the game and address the most painful issues, and then, when the game is finished, you can fly it around the world and people will actually care.

From the design decisions during the development process, it's quite clear that there is a big ego in UWE not really in touch with reality - I don't know who, because I don't know the team, but even from the outside, it's quite clear. It may not be a bad thing all the time, because such people posses great energy, courage and often drive things forward, but when they get out of control...
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Kamamura wrote: »
    - 258 patch is late (again)
    - Public statement that the 150k $ or so was nice, thank you all, there will definitely be some patches, but now UWE is moving to another project. I think for many people this was like a slap in the face, but I calmed myself down, and thought okay, the money was given no strings attached, true, but until I see NS2 in reasonably finished state, I am not buying/donating anything anymore.
    - People are asked YET AGAIN in a short period of time for funds, this time for a tournament that players may or may not care about. This could be okay, if it did not give so clear impression that finishing NS2 is really not the highest priority. And that, my brother, is sad.

-258 is late for a good reason, it has to be stable first. Imho it will be the most stable and best performing patch that we had in a long time, so its really worth it. The changes to the engine where pretty big to make 32bit work again, leading to some bugs that had to be fixed first. that is normal and not a conspirancy, uwe is working fulltime + overtime to get this out.
    -They never said that UWE is moving to a new project and abandoning ns2. Most of UWE is still working on ns2, specially the people that are really needed on it right now like max, dushan, andi etc. If cory does concept art and stuff for a new game (i honestly dont know if he does that, but i would assume so), then that does in no way impact the fixes we all want for ns2, which are performance, balance and bugfixes.
    -Yes, the timing is not ideal for another fundraising. That said, that fundraising is not done by the same people. Wasabi and the others launched the idea, and UWE supports them. The two fundraisers are not connected.

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I don't think that 258 will be that great. They already said that it won't fix the crashes...it will only make them less frequent. That doesn't sound awesome anyways.
    Also tons of micro freezes are gone, so are the biggest server performance issues that where introduced with reinforced. Of course it wont be the perfect patch, but it will be a very good patch, with even better ones to come afterwards
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited October 2013
    I'll only ever fund NS2 in the form of buying more copies and sharing them with friends.

I couldn't care less about a world wide tournament.

At the moment, the game urgently needs more efficiency and smarter coding (since reinforcement, dedicated servers currently check to see if players actually owns reinforcement skins, like wtf)...

That being said, i'm looking forward to tomorrows patch.
  • chikotochikoto Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183078Members
    What happened to the raffle tickets and "one fan will be flown to the event"?

Is this still happening?
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    I thought this was going to be an apology for thier over hyping and letting down most of the community, instead it seems they just messed up donations and still want us all to pay for their fun filled trip to Europe, uh no....
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    yet another reason why UWE should've LET THE COMMUNITY DO THIS e.g. let wasabi one post the news
  • TaggartTaggart Canada Join Date: 2013-10-12 Member: 188668Members
    I think it's worth mentioning that a highly publicised event may strengthen their other efforts rather than weaken them. As they don't manufacture physical copies of the game, a new copy sold is just as good as a 25$ donation. Plus then you've got another mouth talking about the game, maybe streaming it.

The most important thing a game needs to keep afloat is people who want to play it, and I think this is a good way to do it. I for one will be forcing a few of my friends to watch this event if it does happen, they may turn around and show a couple of their friends. So on
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    I think it's smart to bring NS2 to the front page of Twitch.
    Lots of people who have never heard of Natural Selection might wonder what this game is all about and have a look into a game they would otherwise have never heard of. That's good publicity.

Just make sure your commentators adapt so even a total newcomer can enjoy the broadcast. And please leave that famous (?) StarCraft commentator guy who likened the Fade to the Mutalisk out of it.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tried to donate a few $ but the stupid site wont accept paypall. :(
  • MalGanis2MalGanis2 Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68174Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Tried to donate a few $ but the stupid site wont accept paypall. :(

Same thing.

Before the "accidental beacon" it accepted Paypal, now it doesn't. Any idea about this?

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    So uh, what happened to the raffle?
  • FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members
    Yes, Paypal is needed, I don't want to give my credit card details or register with Wepay. Who the fuck is Wepay??. Also, I'm surprised Kickstarter wasn't used. Kickstarter is great, and very streamlined and easy to use. Curious situation.
  • ZaliZali Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185668Members
    edited October 2013
    The raffle has become a quest for clogs. Also it's in violation of the gofundme acceptable use policy, and likely many states and countries anti-gambling laws. Chucklefucks.