Why doesn't the welder overlap the standard build tool?

2»

Comments

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Am I really the only person who actually rebinds keys? Since this is a game for the PC and I actually can?
    My use key is Return, my movement keys are the arrow keys. Building something while strafing is no problem that way.

You are not only, though mine are still completely different from what you explained :P

Holding -E-, while using -Q- and -W- to strafe is a breeze
  • witalitwitalit London Join Date: 2013-10-07 Member: 188623Members
    What about when you pickup a welder and press E it uses welder instead? Like an upgrade to your building tool.. of course only occurs when you have one.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    WHAT IS THE STANDARD BUILD TOOL EVEN CALLLLED!?
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    witalit wrote: »
    What about when you pickup a welder and press E it uses welder instead? Like an upgrade to your building tool.. of course only occurs when you have one.

The issue is, welding an armory for example would make you access the armory, macs would offer you coffees, and it would be too difficult to weld moving targets. TLDR?

• B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    xBlueXFoxx wrote: »
    witalit wrote: »

The issue is, welding an armory for example would make you access the armory, macs would offer you coffees, and it would be too difficult to weld moving targets. TLDR?
    I think you misread his post.

He means that the build tool itself is upgraded to a welder. so whenever you use now the build tool you use then the welder instead. But you have of course still the option to take the welder directly as weapon and weld with left click like you can now.
    So nothing changes, except you don't need to bother with the standard build tool anymore.
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    I mentioned that also previously, the idea of what I mentioned voids out the build tool once you have a welder, as the welder is as mentioned even in the concept PDF's is an extention/addon to the build tool. I brought up the idea mentioned in a previous topic that it can also be binded to right click for fast access/swapping between welder and primary, for someone like me a system like this I'd personally see as more convenient than rifle butting, which can just as easily be thrown to a key bind.

Hitting E to weld as I mentioned a few times before wouldn't work so well when trying to use your welder on armories/MAC's, unless you want a coffee.
    http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/MAC

The switch axe still being "3" as it deals more damage than the welder, I know this wasn't mentioned, I just wanted to clarify.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    If welder no longer takes a weapon slot, how will I drop it so my welderless rine meat shield can weld me?

Still want the build tool to become the welder when you have a welder. I wouldn't take off the welder attachment to make it less efficient.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    WHAT IS THE STANDARD BUILD TOOL EVEN CALLLLED!?
    Nothing fancy, just Build Tool :P
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    If you look at it from a newbies perspective, the welder and the build tool look the same. This means when you are building by pressing E, you are not daft to assume it is the same as welding it. I bet you there are a sizable amount of new players who don't realise they can get a different result from welding instead of building. That really isn't intuitive.

If a player doesn't know there is a difference between building and welding, it'll lead to another confusing in-correct observation: Why do they need to get out their welder and click for somethings and press E for others.

Pressing the "Use" key to build doesn't seem totally intuitive (despite being very used to it) but I think this is done so that new players are not running around wondering around with their build tool out trying to understand why it doesn't do much or why it doesn't do damage to aliens.

I do think the simplest compromise is for the welder to look very different and for the build tool to appear as the welder (with it's bonuses) when bought (when you press E to build).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Also mandatory...

Why back in my day we didn't even need no fancy build tool, we just constructed stuff with our bare hands. Damn kids!
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Also mandatory...

Why back in my day we didn't even need no fancy build tool, we just constructed stuff with our bare hands. Damn kids!

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

• TheKarvaTheKarva Join Date: 2011-06-13 Member: 104251Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tap e to use, hold e to weld. I also dislike loosing axe for welder when it clearly is an addon to the build tool. And it doesnt just weld, it also builds, right? Axe> riflebutt anyday
  • zebroezebroe Join Date: 2013-08-15 Member: 186878Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Off topic but, WHY are nades bound to #5 not #4??
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Because mines are 4.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    ezekel wrote: »
    Here's a tip, if you're low on armor and near a structure that needs to be built and have a welder, begin building the structure with the regular build tool, then halfway through begin welding it; the building is more complete than it has health/armor so anything you do with the welder now counts as healing it to the health it should have at that built percent, thus giving you armor from a structure that was never damaged to begin with :)

Huh, you learn something new every day. And here I thought always using the welder to build was the correct move all the time. Nice. :)