What if NS2 was a blockbuster AAA action movie?

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
Marines would not have strafe jump and move more like they do in battlefield series (aka realism). Marines would get bigger badder louder badass guns, kinda like AVP, because people just love over done weapons. There would be explosions every few minutes because every typical AAA action movie has innumerable explosions and overdone special effects (aka immersion). There would be one woman probably scantily clad, who in the end the big strong hero gets because he saved her. The rest of the squad would of died, but the two of them escaped somehow just because they kharra can never seem to get kill Joe Hero.

Realism would reign supreme over Fun. I don't know about some of you, but I find those explosive AAA action movies boring. This is a game, where fun should be prioritized over realism. Things like strafe jumping and other mechanics may be arcadey but they are fun.

"A major factor in the balance between the Yin and Yang (Realism and Unrealism) are the graphics. Uncharted 2 has amazing graphics, and their realism really immerses the player. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker has cartoony graphics that seem more fun than serious and real." Link

NS2 has semi realistic graphics, at least in comparison to games like TF2. I bring this up because maybe if ns2 has graphics like TF2 people might accept the more arcadey aspects of NS2.

When I started making this thread I was thinking about how bad an AAA action NS2 movie would be. This lead me into thinking about Fun Vs. Realism. Then I made this rambly post with half thought out ideas. I could either wait a few more days thinking on this topic and try to write something good with a conclusion, but I am lazy and would rather post this and just discuss.

Comments

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Sounds more like a B-movie from me, or at least a nineties movie.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »
    ... but the two of them escaped somehow just because they kharra can never seem to get kill Joe Hero. ...

not if the script is written by Ge(o)rge R. R. Martin ;)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2013
    Six days in Sanjii... And GO!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Six days in Sanjii... And GO!

6 day in Sanjii did come up while I was thinking about this. I couldn't remember what it was called or else I would of mentioned it.
    B3rT wrote: »
    ... but the two of them escaped somehow just because they kharra can never seem to get kill Joe Hero. ...

not if the script is written by Ge(o)rge R. R. Martin ;)

George would write about a fadeplosion.
  • LerkinOffLerkinOff Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185254Members
    I've actually been thinking about this a lot too but I think a key factor in making an ns2 movie unique would be focusing on what makes ns2 so awesome. Firstly, I would plan the whole thing as a trilogy but not make the first movie a first contact story since that's how Aliens started(Fuck Prometheus). So the premise of the story could be similar to how the ns2 wiki describes it where there's a huge political mess and people are unsure how to deal with the Kharaa and the TSF gets created to save the sector of the galaxy where the kharaa are instead of quarantining it and letting the people living there die.

The plot of the movie could be somewhat like this
    - summary of galactic conflict
    - introduction of TSF, focus on training, how to fight each lifeform
    -TSF going into battle
    - TSF encounter Kharaa
    - Make each encounter with the Kharaa similar to the game
    - Realize they have to destroy hives
    - etc.(obviously this sounds kind of stupid but this is just a basic idea)

So this is general idea of what an ns2 movie could look like but to make it good there has to be interesting characters and enough ns2 lingo to distinguish it from typical alien movies. What would also make an ns2 movie super awesome is to make a tribute to the ns2 community. For instance TSF squads can be named after comp teams. So lets say all the TSF marines look up to Titus squad and respect them as elite marines. There's obviously a lot of problems in making a movie faithful to the game such as incorporating all the alien and marine tech into the movie but still making encounters dramatic(for instance ip's make each encounter less dramatic because soldiers dying isn't as big of a deal, how do medpacks work etc..)

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    starship troopers is one of the most enjoyable movies ever, ergo your post is a mummer's fart.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did I inadvertently describe star ship troopers? Maybe. I was imagining more along the lines of AVP but a movie as bad as Machete.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    There's realism in AAA blockbuster action movies?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Did I inadvertently describe star ship troopers? Maybe. I was imagining more along the lines of AVP but a movie as bad as Machete.

In what version of reality is AvP a AAA movie?
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Michael Bay...

Plot: Every marine gets free grenade launchers and cluster grenades with unlimited ammo.

That's the plot.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I don't think it'd be possible to make NS2 as a movie without it being verrryy cheesy. Starship Troopers 3 cheesy.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    There's realism in AAA blockbuster action movies?

Yes, and Lens Flare! Don't forget the Lens Flare!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    starship troopers is one of the most enjoyable movies ever, ergo your post is a mummer's fart.

I would like to know more... ;))
    edited October 2013
    @F0rdPrefect
    I did not say that AVP was AAA. I meant AVP mixed with one of the really generic action movies with that have innumerable explosions and such that make billions upon billions for a reason I don't entirely understand.

Looking at IMDP's "In theaters list for examples of such a generic bad action movie...
    MV5BMjA2MzUxMTM3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzA2NzkxMDE@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Looking at the coming soon list on imdp I am going to guess these will be generic and bad. I have not watched these so I do not know this. I am merely guessing.
    Sabotage
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Here is a whole list.

I have not watched this one, and can not say if it is bad or not, but in fact an ns2 movie could play out like this.
    Ender's Game: 70 years after a horrific alien war, an unusually gifted child is sent to an advanced military school in space to prepare for a future invasion.
    I think to create a proper movie would have to cut many corners (just like NS2's architecture...). I wouldn't expect too much gameplay being resembled.

Just like with any videogame/book adaption.
    I think to create a proper movie would have to cut many corners (just like NS2's architecture...). I wouldn't expect too much gameplay being resembled.

That is kinda the point I am trying to make with this whole thread. If ns2 were made to a movie it would not be anything like ns2. The gameplay is fun and is what makes ns2 great. Then we get people who come here and suggest ns2 be more like AVP, have bigger guns, have more immersion, have more realism. Many of ns2's mechanics don't make sense but it doesn't matter because they are fun. Strafe jumping seems to be the hot topic right now. I have seen posts about people saying marines have bionic legs now and that it is so unreal. That is the post I am talking about. Ns2 is not a movie it is a game. Games are supposed to be fun.

That is kinda the point I am trying to make with this whole thread. If ns2 were made to a movie it would not be anything like ns2. The gameplay is fun and is what makes ns2 great. Then we get people who come here and suggest ns2 be more like AVP, have bigger guns, have more immersion, have more realism. Many of ns2's mechanics don't make sense but it doesn't matter because they are fun. Strafe jumping seems to be the hot topic right now. I have seen posts about people saying marines have bionic legs now and that it is so unreal. That is the post I am talking about. Ns2 is not a movie it is a game. Games are supposed to be fun.

And... how did you come up with the topic in the first place?

Btw, I'm pretty sure such a movie would feature an onos mount... ;)
    edited October 2013
    I came up with it similarly to the onos mount idea, but with actual thought put behind it.

Onos mount would make the movie good...
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't think it'd be possible to make NS2 as a movie without it being verrryy cheesy. Starship Troopers 3 cheesy.

Starship Troopers 3 should never be mentioned in the same context as Natrual Selection.

That atrocity should be forgotten forever.

Now Starship Troopers: Invasion, is much more worth seeing.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    An NS2 movie... Hmm, maybe...
    hKIn7EV.png
    Maybe not.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    edited October 2013
    Natural Selection: Introductions

ACT 1: Backstory and character development

The year is 3147. Humanity has expanded into the cosmos as resources on their home planet "Earth" dwindled. Recently discovered nano-technology is capable of supporting the Human race through the manipulation of particles to replicate an object. Unfortunately this technology is extremely energy consuming and scientists have been tasked with locating a power source capable of meeting the ever increasing demand for nanites. As unrest grows in humanities outer colonies,
    TSF marines are stretched thin and time is running out to secure new power sources.

A secret research station situated in orbit of an unnamed planet observing mysterious discharges from the planets surface begin mining operations to find and analyse the plumes of unknown material. They'd received a shipment of 'classified' blueprints from 'financial backers' for the operation which nanites created on top of the plumes and somehow converted it into massive amounts of usable energy. Orders came down for the research team to focus on finding ways to transport such massive amounts of energy and the analysis process was halted. Massive mining operations began on the planet to extract as much of this resource as possible.

The main character (pick your own name!) was a scientist recruited onto the research team. He's not comfortable with how shady the whole operation feels, with mysterious backers and being sidelined in favour of mining operations. He gets himself into hot water asking too many questions and/or poking his head around in restricted areas but he manages to get a few other people on his side (including a security guard) and together they continue to analyse the plumes in secret.

At some point, Miners blasted into a cavern and a screech echo'd through the entire compound. contact with outlying miners was lost almost immediately. the main character and his supporting cast are out investigating plumes at this point, and they hear some of the chatter about dog like creatures and the walls turning green and bulging on the intercoms before the line goes dead. after taking a quick reading, they get spooked and start making their way back. They get attacked on route by a pack of skulks and the security guard dies protecting the others. the main character (Ok let's call him Dave) manages to grab his rifle and dispatches the remaining skulks. a couple of the supporting cast begin to lose it at this point, screaming, pretending it's not real, the usual. Dave gives some speech and they head back to base.

They rush to warn command but are laughed at and locked up for accessing restricted areas. Before long though, the compound is under attack. someone let them out of jail and armed them with guns, joining their group. They figure the best bet of stopping the attack has something to do with the plumes. Instead of evacuating they head to the research facilities and complete the analysis. the sample they took after the screech was 300% more dense and there were quantaties of bio-matter. They figured out that they were extracting bacterium being produced by the infestation, It was dorment before, but something triggered it to become active, which increased energy output but produced these lifeforms (Khaara).

Act 2: Sub-Plots!

The sample from the plumes was useless in stopping the Kharra. After some bickering where they looked they were toast (the whole compound was ruined, and they sealed themselves up in the research labs) they decide their only hope is to reach the landing pads and hope there's a ship left. They sneak towards the landing pad and on the way observe a gorge healing up a harvester, seemingly harmless. it spots them and slides off. they spend some time talking about the encounter while they walk, and distracted, get ambushed by a fade, capable of going invisible. 3 of the group die, leaving the main character and 2-3 supporting cast. they escape the station and fly up to the research station. unknown to them, a gorge had snuck onboard.

Back on the research station, they find TSF military have taken command. After sharing what they knew and saw, the TSF officials didn't seem suprised and dave figures out they knew about the khaara before, thats where the extractors came from etc. etc. the TSF give some speech about the needs of humanity and how close to a civil war it is. he orders the group (because they've got experience now/expendable)head back to the surface and re-establish power. given no choice but to go, they succeed and get a command chair functioning. top secret Infantry portals create clone soldiers from nanites who begin to eradicate the khaara. Dave assists reluctantly (he can still die afterall) and a huge battle ensues with exo's and onos to boot. the rest of the supporting cast die except for the 'girl'. They lose the battle after the Infantry portals and communications suddenly stop functioning.

Act 3: Conclusion

The nanite soldiers dissipate leaving Dave & the girl in the compound alone and without ammo. They sit waiting for Khaara to rip them to shreds. The infestation starts to recede, so they begin walking back to the landing pad. on the way they see the Khaara lifeforms dying off and Dave realises that humans were the catalyst that activated the bacterium to produce the Khaara. It needed us as much as we needed it. They get to the ship and find just enough fuel to get back to the research station. once there they discover that the gorge's babblers had got inside the electronics and wreaked havok, but they couldn't find the gorge. Dave finds it and hides it away. He confronts the TSF commander and ultimately kills him and some of the troops on-board. wounded, Dave makes it back to the girl, but it's the gorge who saves him with heal spray. They make it to the hanger bay and Dave, the girl and the gorge escape on a ship and the screen fades to black.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I think if it were, they'd get sued by whoever owns the Aliens franchise now, and probably blizzard, and maybe someone else.
    Davil wrote: »
    I think if it were, they'd get sued by whoever owns the Aliens franchise now, and probably blizzard, and maybe someone else.
    I don't see how. It might have similarities, what with it being inspired by those. But other than that it's a completely different story and the artwork or general look isn't exactly similar.

"Inspired by" is not infringing on anyones legal or proprietary rights ;)
    I don't see how. It might have similarities, what with it being inspired by those. But other than that it's a completely different story and the artwork or general look isn't exactly similar.

You never know. Apple has/had that patent on rectangles didn't they?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We'd totes give press rides to our massive press parties in Ferraris and all that
    Hugh wrote: »
    We'd totes give press rides to our massive press parties in Ferraris and all that

You sell outs!
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    I love all those cheesy action movies, DO IT! Natural Selection the movie..........starring Bruce Willis. Cameo by Danny Glover.

Elevator door opens in the hive room. Gorge dead inside with a sign written in green: "Now I have a Dual Exo, HO HO HO..."

Onos shows up. Glover: "I'm gettin' too old for this SH**!"

CONSOLE: "5 more votes needed to concede.........."
  • uCantBeSeriousuCantBeSerious Cave Join Date: 2013-10-12 Member: 188678Members
    It would be like the curb stomp scene from American History X but drawn out for 3 hours.

Oh and the player base is the robber and Charlie is Ed Norton.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation

Yep apple was the somebody else.