New Server "Davil's Happy Fun Time Murder Games" Load Testing

DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hello everybody, I've recently started setting up one of my old machines to use as a dedicated server. Due to having a 120up and 25down type connection I feel I have to get my money's worth out of the bandwidth. The system is just a simple i7 2600k OC'ed to 4.8ghz and 32gb of RAM running the game off an SSD(probably doesn't matter so much) but I'd like to see what kind of numbers I can reasonably accommodate. So please help me out if you can by checking out the server and letting me know how your experience goes on it. Right now I'm starting off at a small 18 slot, but I'll see how far I can push this. Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please, make it 18 slots max. Its so sad to see so many server with 24 slots :(.
    You cant plan anything, strategically speaking...
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Walsa wrote: »
    Please, make it 18 slots max. Its so sad to see so many server with 24 slots :(.
    You cant plan anything, strategically speaking...

I agree that 18 would probably be best gameplay wise, but I want to experiment a bit with how many it can handle. I'll probably end up setting it at 19 with one slot reserved for me though.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    18 slot
    nsl maps + good custom maps
    vanilla

would play, good performance, good time
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    ezekel wrote: »
    18 slot
    vanilla

I noticed you said, "good custom maps" hard to come by.
  • TmpltTmplt Join Date: 2013-07-24 Member: 186368Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    Davil wrote: »
    ...just a simple i7 2600k OC'ed to 4.8ghz and 32gb of RAM running the game off an SSD
    simple?

Anyway, sounds awesome, some custom maps would be awesome. Finding balanced ones might be a challenge though. There's this map with portals (ns_co_portals) that came up not long ago, doesn't seem to be able to hold more than 18 players and I have no idea how balanced it is. But to your question, I believe you can push up to 24 players. I've seen others servers doing that with that i7.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Davil wrote: »
    ezekel wrote: »
    18 slot
    vanilla

I noticed you said, "good custom maps" hard to come by.

Jambi is great, tanith is getting there, and hotdog was pretty fun to play on but it's still greyboxed so idk how you feel about that.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am a fan of Jambi and Kodiak.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Whats the point of this thread?
    With this "simple" server you can run a server on every slotammount you want.
    There is no need for "testing".
    dePARA wrote: »
    Whats the point of this thread?
    With this "simple" server you can run a server on every slotammount you want.
    There is no need for "testing".

gauge interest, take feedback, advertise