Shotgun Stuttering (Freeze Frame) on Fire 252

2»

Comments

• KiloKilo Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187529Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ironhorse

Just wanted to report I've upgraded my gfx card from a HD 6970 to a HD 7970 and reinstalled windows and I still get this bug. I have just specced someone in a pcw who also gets the shotgun freezeframe and strangly enough everytime he fired it I was fine, I also watched a few other people with no problems. It seems the bug is only reproduced when I fire it and not when I watch someone else fire it.
  • Nemesis6Nemesis6 Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6633Members
    edited October 2013
    I just came by to see if others have this problem, too... I avoid the shotgun because of it. Nice to see it's gonna be fixed in the next patch!
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know if this is related but I've been playing not so long ago and the game crashed right when I fired the shotgun. It has segfaulted so it was not OOM-related crash.
  • KiloKilo Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187529Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've heared this IS FIXED in the new build thats (allegedly) coming out tomorrow. For anyone interested in why the problem existed, here is a brief and probably not 100% accurate explaination.

Each shotgun shell fires a triangular (3 point) trajectile hit line. There are around 17 shells in 1 blast from the shotgun. Therefore the game had to do 50 odd (3X17) calculations when it was fired. This was too much and was dropping players fps by 20-30 and stuttering the game for the player and the server.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Strange way of damage calculation. I doubt old games with shotguns like Quake/Doom did it this way. They probably just check if there's an enemy(ies) visible at the shooting direction and then apply some damage falloff function depending on how far the target is from you and from the point where you've shot (center of your screen). I don't see the point of calculating intersections for each shell, it adds to realism of course but also affects performance and probably makes it possible for the enemy to walk between shells getting no damage. And the player using shotgun has no control over this, it's purely random.
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    The interesting to note is that I didn't feel sg glich until I've deleted %appdata% folder :/ Now I can't aim properly.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    edited October 2013
    What is the status on this issue? I didn't see this thread until now but I too am having this issue, very annoying! I think it is still happening in b258 but I will double check and if it is, I will run the techsupport zip thing. I am noticing one common trend among people I talk to who have this, seems that we all have AMD CPUs and / or AMD GPUs.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    it is considered fixed. You should open a new thread with as much information as possible.