Close That Gorge Tunnel!

NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
Seriously though, it would be nice if gorge tunnels that have no exit be closed.

Nothing is more annoying to me than when the team has a bunch of gorge tunnels together in the base, one dosent have an exit. And you have to choose the correct one in the heat of a game

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Now this is a post I can agree with :P
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited September 2013
    Good thought, I hate having to hunt for the correct tunnel.

Alternatively add the option to delete them, then you could lure marines into a dead end tunnel and kill the lot of them.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Good thought, I hate having to hunt for the correct tunnel.

Alternatively add the option to delete them, then you could lure marines into a dead end tunnel and kill the lot of them.

6... aaannndd 7, CLOSE IT CLOSE IT CLOSE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    And also wipe it. You just don't know where those tunnels have been.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Good suggestion. Adds something to the game also (even as a marine).
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Yeah I hate having to look at the map to see which tunnel has a huge white line coming out of it

Unconnected gorge tunnels make great hiding places for sneaky marines that hate upgrade structures ;)
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    How about still being able to go through a gorge tunnel after it's destroyed. :)

I'm guessing its a bug but it's kinda funny to pop out of thin air and bite the marine in the back because he thought he destroyed the tunnel. Ahaha
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    How about still being able to go through a gorge tunnel after it's destroyed. :)

I'm guessing its a bug but it's kinda funny to pop out of thin air and bite the marine in the back because he thought he destroyed the tunnel. Ahaha

omg! That happened to me at one game! Killed the gorge tunnel, and suddenly a fade and a skulk popps out after it's dead XD
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Anything in the tunnel when one side gets destroyed should have to turn around and go back from where they came.
  • xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    But then you can't hide from pesky marines! :P
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    There should be lick -skill for gorge. When applying on the tunnel sphrincter, it would tighten so that marines couldn't pass. Of course, all those moist aliens could go back and forth freely.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I agree.
    And on top of that, I want to bounce off when it's a closed entrance, because it looks like a trampoline XD
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This thread is going place, I'm just making damn sure I'm actually going somewhere else though :-$
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    This thread is going place, I'm just making damn sure I'm actually going somewhere else though :-$

Lol, I just wanted the petals around the Gorge tunnel to cover the opening when a exit/entrance is not built
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited October 2013
    That would be a useful indicator, agreed!

It totally makes sense because the phase gates show if they are connected or not... why not have this for the Aliens.
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    No exit gorge tunnels are homes for gorges. Dont let them be homeless. :(
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    SmashIT wrote: »
    I also get sick of entering the wrong hole in the heat of the moment!

... insert your own joke here ...

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Lol, I just wanted the petals around the Gorge tunnel to cover the opening when a exit/entrance is not built

UWE make it happen.

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    press map, see if line, prublem solved.
    Would reduce the one end gorge tactics
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah this does get anoyying
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2013
    reeql wrote: »
    No exit gorge tunnels are homes for gorges. Dont let them be homeless. :(
    xnor wrote: »
    But then you can't hide from pesky marines! :P

If you have to hide from rines in your unfinished tunnel, you probably lost the game anyways :>
    kalakuja wrote: »
    press map, see if line, prublem solved.
    Would reduce the one end gorge tactics

^ Edit > You shouldn't have too, marines do not have to check their phase gates to see if there is an entrance/exit (And hiding in the tunnel is pretty useless, will probably be best if it were removed anyways)
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I like that it's a very simple change to help on-the-fly tunneling, but I would miss hiding in my dark corner as my team loses :P

Plus an unbuilt tunnel is also closed, so it might confuse other Gorges. Maybe have connected tunnel openings emit gas particles into the air (like res nodes)?
  • zebroezebroe Join Date: 2013-08-15 Member: 186878Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Another thought, you should be able to choose which gorge tunnel you want to delete when you place your third tunnel down rather than it destroying the first built one.
  • stibaerstibaer Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186398Members
    I agree on the closed petals as visual indicator.
    I agree on the possibility to choose if you want to place a tunnelentrance or exit like you can do in TF2 with the engineers teleporters.

I also would love to see a smarter system for the tunnel.
    Imho it should be a tunnelnetwork. Once you are inside one tunnel you can walk into any other by using the sidepathes, that open up when a new tunnel-Entrance/exit has been built.
    Also the time to enter a tunnel should be shorter. When you walk/jump on a tunnelentrance the petals open the closer you are and if you are above it you fall right into it without delay. It should really feel like a pit in the ground.
    While the petals are open thx to a nearby alien, marines can access the tunnel right away.
    If not they have to force the petals open first by using the use-key. One marine can hold it open for others and than jump in himself. Same procedure to exit the tunnel.
    The downside is, that aliens wont see on the map, that marines are inside the tunnel, allowing more sneaky tactics. Thx to the tunnelnetwork they can also access any exit. Luckily gorges can place hydras and cloggs inside the tunnel and the gorgeupgrade will also activate the regrowing defensive mechanisms inside the tunnel, like those anemones that will try to eat nearby marines.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I'd prefer them to be more clearly labelled in general. Like each one have a different coloured outline, and the tunnel-line on the map being a corresponding colour.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    What i hate more is people placing the tunnel entrances all over the base. Has no one ever bothered to check a clear place to drop the tunnel so you instantly know which one leads where? Instead, i always have to decypher a bowl of tunnel noodles before i can even enter the correct one and go where i actually want to go...
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I'd prefer them to be more clearly labelled in general. Like each one have a different coloured outline, and the tunnel-line on the map being a corresponding colour.

I like the idea in the above quote...Or at the very least, text above or on the gorge tunnel that states where it leads to.

• Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    i think i have to highlight this again

the animation should be allready in place cause it expands anyway when it grows
    so it should be easy to do for them
    i think its an easy to do but good result change

ofc it would even tell the marines if the tunnel is up but aliens can see if a phasegate is up too so idk if its that bad