Usable Key Binding System

driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
Hello all,

I'm sure this issue has been brought to your attention a few times already but since there have been no improvements in this direction in the last year and the implementation itself is extremely simple , I would like to suggest you improve the key binding system. Basically there already is ConsoleBindings.json and you can rebind some keys, but only very few and to a very limited range of actions (like join a team etc.).

What is really necessary is to be able to rebind ALL keys to ALL actions, and since the aliens play so very different from the marines there should be a possibility to bind the same key to different actions depending on what team your on.

Due to lack of official support this has already partially been addressed by mod authors, but due to consistency checking this only works on very few servers and you have to use the old system on all others.

I really can't understand why a game as customizable as NS2 still has a control setup worse than every other game I know. I mean, being unable to bind an alternate key for an action? Even half life 1 could do this, and were talking 1998! I have searched the forums and found a few threads suggesting similar things (like the ability to change the MouseWheel direction. Guys, I can't tell you how many times I killed myself with Xenocide while trying to parasite someone in the heat of battle). But not even once I did find an actual statement from a developer why they are ignoring this for years now, even if it's repeatedly being pointed out as a very simple to fix but annoying flaw in their game. I spend a frustrating 2 hours yesterday trying to somehow hack options.xml or ConsoleBindings.json to make the mousewheel only switch between weapon1 and weapon2 to prevent further Xenoxice kills but finally resorted to just creating a makro in my mouse driver to switch to parasite, fire it and switch back to bite.

The only argument I can think of that suggests leaving some keybindings not customizable is that people will start writing pistol scripts or binding jump or shoot on their mousewheel to spam commands. However, they can do this as easily with Autohotkey or their mouse driver. This is basically why the pistol script problem was fixed using a cooldown timer between shots, which of course is the right way and can also be applied to other problems (like spamming the mousewheel).

What I think is a stronger argument that suggests to make the keyboard fully customizable is that these bugs can be fixed, but if you don't and use this horrible binding system to prevent people from creating pistol scripts and whatnot in the game, you allow everyone using a custom mouse config or autohotkey to still exploit these issues. Also you push all honest players that just want to rebind some controls that simply don't suit them to resort to similar tools, which may lead to them creating unfair makros like the parasite makro or pistol scripts because now it's so easy and partially fixes their problem.

So could one of the devs please point out why you are not addressing this issue?

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I will never stop asking for config files :(
  • SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Been asking for this since the alpha, it's one of those tasks that the programmers obviously consider boring and would rather ignore.

Still can't command with V for voice as you end up recycling your base.
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    edited September 2013
    I made a similar thread yesterday, but you said it more clearly than I did. I will keep bumping this thread up until devs will notice it. NS2 is fast paced fps/rts and fully customizable keys are clearly needed. One thing, that I might add to your post driest, is that even every alien lifeform should be able to use same button for different actions; m4 for stab and hydra and parasite and boneshield etc.

Edit: I meant thread, not threat!
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hate it that i can't bind to a key "Ž" anymore (above R Shift next to big ENTER key, Slovenian layout). I'm playing with arrow keys since the early 90's when most of games were defaulting to arrow keys so "Ž" key is always designated for flashlight/nightvision. But since the update 255 i can't do this anymore. It's so annoying because all the other keys are fine, but this one isn't.

Also why you can bind "Taunt" to any key where "Chuckle" can only be accessed through a menu. I want to use Chuckle whenever i get out of tight situations with Skulk to further annoy marines. But i'm not going to use it through menus and get killed because its so slow.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    SlowLefty wrote: »
    Been asking for this since the alpha, it's one of those tasks that the programmers obviously consider boring and would rather ignore.

Still can't command with V for voice as you end up recycling your base.

Do what I do and press Q before talking every time.
  • MalkContentMalkContent Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I support this message. The existence of qwertz keyboards alone should be enough to enable editing commander keys (y and z are swapped compared to qwerty, but I still gotta press z). I also agree that there should be separate configs for com mode and infantry mode.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    I hope this gets addressed.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I am Han Sulu and I approve this message.

The ground work for bindable everything should already be in place from a mod that was made (I know it at least allows you to bind chuckle!).

Maybe this can be looked at to be made official.
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    @driest
    Your post drives tears in my eyes. I am sure there were complains about the underdeveloped key binding system. I remember especially the commander problems with non US layout keyboards. Guess what @UWE, believe it or not, but you have also non US customers! And one fact is that this problem isn't solved up to this day. It is still a workaround!!! What is holding you back @UWE? Do something or say something about this issue so we all know you, @UWE, knows about this problem and will address it.
    It isn't a question whether key binding should be improved but more of a question when. In my opinion it should have been done 1 year ago at the release date. I undestand there are problems you just didn't know would come up e.g. the problem with Reinforcement Program that induced the 32bit problem. I understand it is not easy nowadays to support 32bit systems hence the fact that video games have with higher visual quality a more resource demanding habit. The 32bit problem is by far not a standard problem but by all gods in the world improving the key binding system IS! Start working on this issue NOW, if you already hadn't! I guess I am not the only one who would like to shout out such a demand.

Basically @UWE is my generalized category for the dev staff of Unknown Worlds.
    Just to grab the attention: @hugh, @max, @chops, @dushan, @squeal_like_a_pig, @steverock, @acedude and last, oh boy, so not least @flayra (sorry Brian "BadAssRealName" Cronin, didn't find your forum nick). Tell us all at least the status of a key binding system that deserves to be named so. I am sorry that I am so upset about this topic but in a whole year I didn't hear or read the least of a bit that would assure me that @UWE is concerned about this issue.

EDIT: typos due to rage writing.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I will never stop asking for config files :(

I seriously wish we had this, that way I'd be able to copy all my config files onto a cloud and whenever I swap computers or reformat, I can just copy/paste all the files to a folder and be done with it.. not place in one file and then have everything else not saved; also an autoexec!

And in the future, I mean it's not the biggest of issues but I think we really need separate binds for the commander, too many of my actions keys overlap with commander keys; I know there's mods for it but they don't work everywhere afaik

edit: I forgot what I was going to type in this edit.. but I'll edit it again if I remember.. lol
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    ezekel wrote: »
    I seriously wish we had this, that way I'd be able to copy all my config files onto a cloud and whenever I swap computers or reformat, I can just copy/paste all the files to a folder and be done with it.. not place in one file and then have everything else not saved
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for. Right now we save the key bindings and system-independent settings to Steam Cloud, so this should happen automatically. Can you clarify?
    @Max, thank you for showing up here. My question still stands: are there any considerations improving the key binding system?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160590541 http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=178532446
    Talk to more server owners, get them to add the bindings mod. It technically could be possible to make my mod client side, but it would be near impossible to get it to pass consistency. Due to people not showing barely any interest in it, I didn't bother. Really only Survival of the fattest runs it AFAIK, I would have thought a lot more people would want to use it than that.
    You can edit everything that currently exists in Steam/userdata/USERID/4920/remote/options.xml.
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Well, thank you for your effort @SamsusDroid, but that is not what I searched for. I want to bind keys per alien class and per marine gear level and of course for the commander. Those keybindings would of course switch automatically depending on the class or gear you are currently have. Also I want to change quickswap priorities so I don't kill my self accidentally with xenocide when I want to use parasite in a rush. Can I have all that without failing a consistency check and being denied by a server?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Husar wrote: »

Well, thank you for your effort @SamsusDroid, but that is not what I searched for. I want to bind keys per alien class and per marine gear level and of course for the commander. Those keybindings would of course switch automatically depending on the class or gear you are currently have. Also I want to change quickswap priorities so I don't kill my self accidentally with xenocide when I want to use parasite in a rush. Can I have all that without failing a consistency check and being denied by a server?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=178532446 passes consistency.

Great, now there just needs to be a per class/gear/commander binding system.
    edited October 2013

Great, now there just needs to be a per class/gear/commander binding system.
    I must be completely misunderstanding you. You want to be able to bind things like equip Celerity, or Evolve Gorge, or buy Jetpack? And be be able to have per team binds?
    Default Keybindings (change these in the Bindings menu)--
    Alien:
    -NumPadEnter -- Begin Evolving
    -NumPad1 -- Select Skulk
    -NumPad2 -- Select Gorge
    -NumPad3 -- Select Lerk
    -NumPad0 -- Select Fade
    -NumPadPeriod -- Select Onos
    -NumPad9 -- Select Carapace
    -NumPad6 -- Select Regeneration
    -NumPad8 -- Select Phantom
    -NumPad5 -- Select Aura
    -NumPad7 -- Select Adrenaline
    -NumPad4 -- Select Celerity

Armory:
    -1 -- Purchase Mines
    -2 -- Purchase Shotgun
    -3 -- Purchase Welder
    -4 -- Purchase Cluster Grenades
    -5 -- Purchase Nerve Gas
    -6 -- Purchase Pulse Grenades
    -7 -- Purchase Grenade Launcher
    -8 -- Purchase Flamethrower

Prototype Lab:
    -1 -- Purchase Jetpack
    -2 -- Purchase Minigun Exo
    -3 -- Purchase Railgun Exo
    -1 -- Purchase Dual-Exo Upgrade
    Or are you talking about commander binds. Because my mod also has those. Like I said, yes it could be possible to make my mod client side, but that would require a complete rework. Yes we could merge Buy Menu Hotkeys and my mod to make it client side, but it would not be the same as you can't do some things in my mod that you can by overwriting files and therefore failing consistency.
    No, I want a per class/gear completely independently customizable movement and attack keys. And of course I want to define commander keys my self.
    edited October 2013
    No, I want a per class/gear completely independently customizable movement and attack keys. And of course I want to define commander keys my self.

So basically you want the options that are there now, but 1 for each team.
    edited October 2013

YUUUUP!

EDIT: and of course the bindings change automatically dependent on class/gear like I said before.
    EDIT2: and not just per team but also per alien class skulk/gorge/lerk/fade/onos and gear marine/jetpacker/exo
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have wanted sepeate sensitivities and fov per team. Just aliens and marines, not per class because that would be a bit much.
    edited October 2013
    james888 wrote: »
    I have wanted sepeate sensitivities and fov per team. Just aliens and marines, not per class because that would be a bit much.

No, it would not be to much, it is a necessity. You can always have a standard preset per side. And people like me do a setup per class/gear. It is a question of choice which we don't have right now!
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2013
    Its because this game is made by people who think female marine is more important than usability, ie amateurs. Like wtf can you not change commander binds, its not like the com is important or anything. Or binding chuckle, who gives a crap about that amirite?
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Definetely not. The keybinding system at the moment is a complete and utter mess. There are 2 locations for Bindings, in obscure and undocumented places (don't tell me that
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\USERID\4920\remote\options.xml

and
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\ConsoleBindings.json

are easy to find). I can't find any documentation on what keys are bindable and some simply don't appear to be (The mouse wheel up and down for example, there is just the mouse axis Z aparently). Both configs being different formats (xml vs. json) doesn't really help the issue, also there is no list of commands anywhere.

The way I understand it now (and I have to guess because it's not documented anywhere) is that there are actions that have bindings that can be configured in options.xml, as well as console commands that can be configured in ConsoleBindings.json. Some actions have console commands (like j1, j2), some do not (like Jump). I could not find an exhaustive list of console commands or actions, does one exist? Also, ConsoleBindings configures actions by keys and options.xml configures keys by actions, which further confuses anyone trying to mess with them.

What is missing and is very important:
    • Documentation on these 2 files. Which should be used for what kind of binding?
    • Unification of these systems. Why are there 2 so completely different systems for very similar if not identical things?
    • Completeness! Why can't I bind any key to any action?
    • Alternate Bindings. Why can't I bind multiple keys to an action?
    • Menu support. Why are many simple things (like taunt) bindable in the menu, but others (like chuckle or jointeam1) only by editing obscure files?
    • Commander Keybindings. Commander controls are pretty complex and break on different keyboard layouts.

What is missing that would be nice to have:
    • Buy/Evolve keys. In other games there was scripting and one could write buyscripts with 10 lines of a simple language. Here I need to create a freaking mod for the game and even then the server has to also have it for me to be able to use it.
    • Sensitivity as a numeric value in menu, because a slider position cannot be reproduced perfectly from memory. Sure i can edit options.xml, but It's cumbersome for the average user. Also having it configurable separately for marines and aliens would be nice.
    • Alternate Bindings by Hotkey (or even automatically by lifeform). When I'm playing marine the standard control scheme is fine. As a skulk I would really love to bind parasite on a mousekey to have it handy in battle. Or when playing late game fade having vortex on a mouse key would improve usability of that ability a ton. Of course this is possible using a mouse macro, but not everyone has a mouse that supports these or knows how to configure them.

Don't know if this is an exhaustive list but that's what's bothering me most at the moment. And @SamusDroid, your mods are great and all but as you said yourself they need to be run by the server which you can't count on. Having a great control setup when playing on one server and another one on all the others doesn't exactly improve the overall experience ;).

So imho the keybinding system needs a complete rework, or at least some polish and documentation. And @Max, it's nice that these files are synchronized with steam but I don't see how this affects any of the problems I mentioned. But thanks for joining the discussion, it is appreciated.
    edited October 2013
    Max wrote: »
    I seriously wish we had this, that way I'd be able to copy all my config files onto a cloud and whenever I swap computers or reformat, I can just copy/paste all the files to a folder and be done with it.. not place in one file and then have everything else not saved
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for. Right now we save the key bindings and system-independent settings to Steam Cloud, so this should happen automatically. Can you clarify?

When going through a reformat and re-installing NS2, several things just don't store on the cloud (in my experience) -- this was a while ago so asking for me to recall it now isn't really possible, I just know that after reformat some things saved and a bunch of other things didn't

Also an autoexec is basically a config where you can put either bindings/settings/input commands and have them 'execute' everytime the game is launched to ensure the settings never changed, people would basically copy their entire settings/playerconfigs into an autoexec and change all the values to their preference then store the file on a cloud, now everytime they'd go somewhere they'd bring this one file and it'd adjust everything in their settings/bindings/input and etc so they wouldn't need to carry several modified files, they'd have one file that would be executed and adjust all the files that come default with the game

If someone has reformated for ns2 recently, hopefully they'd be better able to tell you exactly which files do not save, but I could be wrong and it could have been something only I experienced? (although I'm positive things did not remain the same)
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2013
    Is it me or is this place fucked?

Comprox fixed Samus

^-Edit-v

No fun
    edited October 2013
    Does this page look like this for anyone else?
    Edit: doesn't look like it's just me :-??
    I think I broke it.
    DO THE WAVE ROUND 2!!!!!!
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Using hax, I have fixed the problem. Please continue.