Skulk: mid-late game parasite

reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
I would like to see parasite ability more usefull in mid to late game. Aura upgrade makes this ability worthless. It might be maybe some upgrade for this ability (maybe included in "skulk upgrade" upgrade). I would add to this ability some damage over time (only hp consuming) or just more dmg to lets say 20-30hp. What do You think?

Comments

• radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    i think it's helpful to parasite marines (and structures, depending on the situation) even late game. it gives a heads-up to teammates who don't choose aura.
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also it gives away the direction there looking which is really helpfull.
    Anyway, i don't think it needs an improvement but if it does, make that if you have aura and you parasite that other people that don't have aura can see the health as well.
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Maybe have it fire 2 parasite at once instead of one. Like burst fire thing. Same time to fire, etc... just two back-to-back.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    das0308 wrote: »
    Maybe have it fire 2 parasite at once instead of one. Like burst fire thing. Same time to fire, etc... just two back-to-back.

Why? You don't use parasite to kill a marine. 20 damage is not really anything.
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You could fire it while turning your head quickly to get a slight spread on the parasites and hit two marines. This would be effective when marines are clustered.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    There are a lot of spots where you can shoot through with the lmg but parasite can't "pass". It is like you are shooting with melons...fixing that would make parasite less risky, because you can use cover.

But give parasite more damage? I don't think that is what it should do. It is like giving a structure/player the mark of death. Every alien sees your position. That is a powerful weapon (like a binocular). Maybe two or three hives could buff parasite to the glory of ns1 parasite. Make it last longer with biomass X and only removable at an armory at biomass Y + let it parasite all structures. I would like that. Parasite is a great mechanic imo.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Or make parasite not reveal where it came from for marines at higher biomass. It's fun hitting a marine with parasite and watch him instantly snap to me in the dark.
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    Give Parasite a rocketjump ability.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Maybe adding new effects to parasite will help it scale to late game.

Infectious parasite: touching, or being close to a parasited marine infects you

Maybe a slowing effect that tapers away?

Add a random coughing affect that makes aiming harder? Maybe disable marine requests, marine just coughs in those cases and the commander receives no prompt?

Maybe create a color blind view, or something along those lines, while para'd?

Just a few quick ideas, thanks for reading!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are a lot of spots where you can shoot through with the lmg but parasite can't "pass". It is like you are shooting with melons...fixing that would make parasite less risky, because you can use cover.

But give parasite more damage? I don't think that is what it should do. It is like giving a structure/player the mark of death. Every alien sees your position. That is a powerful weapon (like a binocular). Maybe two or three hives could buff parasite to the glory of ns1 parasite. Make it last longer with biomass X and only removable at an armory at biomass Y + let it parasite all structures. I would like that. Parasite is a great mechanic imo.

Good idea.
    /thread.
  • rayzourayzou Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184066Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't agree at all with Kalabalana. This parasite weapon should never have a negative effect except giving aliens a legal wall hack.

Maybe just make the parasite last longer thanks to biomass upgrades ? This would make more sense. Since there aren't a lot of skulks on the field during mid / late game, it will reward the lonely skulk to parasite not for nothing...
  • zebroezebroe Join Date: 2013-08-15 Member: 186878Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Parasite is good throughout the whole game since you can spot the Observatory for your teammates so you won't have to run cluelessly around the marine base during a rush or something like that. Parasite is also useful because you can still see the marine across the map even if nothing is nearby unlike aura. I do not think that parasite should be changed.