I can't understand NS2 very basics not getting done right...

Comments

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    The gameplay in ns2 is actually really great. The problem is that it isn't fun for newbies.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I am quite surprised UWE didn't address the marine jumping issue yet. I have decided not to touch NS2 until the jump is fixed... that was a long time ago :P
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Yeah, the game is not friendly for noobs. Its pain in the ass to kill "pogo" rine as a skulk. It discourages a lot of players to continue playing. We also need some noob friendly mechanics i think.
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    I love this game, and will stick with it until the end because of what it does offer, but I share most peoples opinions here.

The decision to include strafejumping not only exaggerates the constant beta feel of the game, but makes players lose confidence in the developers because of how radically it changes the game. Just by the very nature of the movement changes, and how unfitting they feel compared to previous versions and the idea for the game in general, I would expect something like this to never be allowed to happen.

Where was all of the input saying that marine v skulk was fine, and aliens should be balanced in other areas instead? It WAS fine, and it WAS an obvious L2P issue from the marine perspective. The gameplay was where it should've been, and I expected the devs to say something like "we've got marine vs skulk early game feeling like we want it, so the only tweaks will be minor to effect balance in smaller ways and not disrupt the flow and feel of the engagements."

It's obvious that it was an attempt at further alien balance given more oomph by whining marines that literally couldn't learn to aim or engage skulks properly.

Just on how it changes the look and feel of the game alone, I think this should've been a no-brainer for the devs to say no to something like this. What has happened shakes confidence, and I've only been here a short while. I can't imagine how you guys and gals feel that have been with it for the long haul. :/

A change like this makes it seem like everything is still up in the air. How many times are things going back to the drawing board? Beta forever!
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I feel so alone on this thread lol. I actually enjoy the changes and not just as a marine either. Maybe its just my tastes but I only have fun if I feel challenged. The new jumping mechanic has added a new spice of adrenaline to fights now, its no longer I jumped him he turns around and is dead, there is a slight chance, oh so slight, that he might actually get me, and that's what makes this game fun and exciting for me.

My friend challenged me as a lerk to go up against him in crossroads. He had a shotgun, mines everywhere, at least 4 packs, a armoury, and random marines going to and fro. I had my lerk, and that was it. I took him on and it was a blast. The fight lasted 5 minutes with me darting in and out from every which way with him blasting, me dodging, and healing and repeat. I lost that fight in the end but it was so much fun. I felt like a shark from Jaws as I flew from every direction circling him. This mechanic made it more challenging to kill marines and I may be the only one among us who feels this way but I like challenges.

So I died to him and all his stuff, meh, just saying "bring it on!" I'll take the hardest challenge you can throw at me and I'll have a blast while doing it, isn't that what games are for after all. ^_^. Oh yeah, and sorry if this made anyone angry, it seems this thread has a lot of anger so I thought I would cheer it up a bit.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Leave it as it is: On pub most are skipping Skulk and evolve to Gorge immediately. As Gorges tend to stick together they are securing techpoints really good like Falls in Biodome or Hydroponics in Descent leading to Alien win most of the time. Experienced this every other game now. (And comm's yelling "Too many Gorges, too many Gorges") :D
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    i'd rather see a buff to skulk acceleration instead of marine nerf.

i like marines being able to dodge, but when your skulk collides with a marine and stops dead then you lose all acceleration and for a fraction of a second he can move faster. it's like you're punished for getting a more accurate and solid bite because you got close enough to collide and stop.
    Exactly this. It feels like you stop in the middle of the air after an already weak jump.
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Leave it as it is: On pub most are skipping Skulk and evolve to Gorge immediately. As Gorges tend to stick together they are securing techpoints really good like Falls in Biodome or Hydroponics in Descent leading to Alien win most of the time. Experienced this every other game now. (And comm's yelling "Too many Gorges, too many Gorges") :D
    Can't have enough Gorge tunnels. 2 or 3 insta Gorges = an awful lot of map control in 30 seconds. No-research tunnels was a huge Alien buff.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    God please no.
    Acceleration is in a fine place.
    Let's not repeat history by trying different accelerations for months and months again just because of this new mechanic ..
    i like marines being able to dodge, but when your skulk collides with a marine and stops dead then you lose all acceleration and for a fraction of a second he can move faster. it's like you're punished for getting a more accurate and solid bite because you got close enough to collide and stop.
    Yes.. This part I agree with completely, obviously, but it has more to do with preserving momentum and collisions than acceleration? (which generally refers to the gradient of change /increase in speed before reaching maximum value, from a dead stop)
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    God please no.
    Acceleration is in a fine place.
    Let's not repeat history by trying different accelerations for months and months again just because of this new mechanic ..

To be fair, (even without acknowledging that this is a different game from half a year ago), when many things were tried over months and months, performance was at a state where they shouldn't have been trying to balance the damn game anyway.

I still applaud UWE for their work, and understand the reasons why, but the game really should have been released this Halloween instead of last.
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    [Edit] Not sure what the hell happened, but quoting is definitely not on my side today.

I'm mostly supporting of this post, strafe jumping is absurd currently, the value I believe is 9 for the jump radius, this should be dropped to 7 or so, the distance/speed they can get out of the way is hardly strategic currently, you can just keep spam jumping like crazy and be basically unstoppable early game, toss in med packs and a skilled shooter, suddenly the marines are being carried.

As much of a backlash I may get for saying this, if this is how it's going to work for marines, then glance biting should be added back in, so at least some damage (25-50) is inflicted even if you miss the bite by 30-45 degrees, 75 for center bites of a 5-10 degree grace.

It appeared as if nobody liked this system, but I feel it was a good system, even if you missed the slightest bit you would at least inflict some damage, it doesn't really assist good skulks too much, and it raises confidence for newer/rookie skulks.

How it is now however, it's beyond absurd, I do feel UWE could have found a better resolution to balance this out, in pub rounds it results with not even good, but decent marines carrying the game.

There's nothing wrong with nanoshield, but I do think it should only effect exosuits, as they're pretty squishy currently and it can be the difference of an exo surviving a fight, as for marine, I imagine it being used for on an annoying marine with a jetpack and grenade launcher while he works on smashing the alien upgrades. (I'm guilty of being one of those marines.)
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited October 2013
    imo the single biggest 'mess' in the game and where the marine jumping is most apparent is the 'feed gate'.

i don't know what's causing it - but one of the recent builds causes a marine to come through a phase gate, and at the speed of light manages to get 15m away from you instead of being stuck in melee range (it's like the 'knockback' anti-stuck measure has been greatly amplified for no reason). it makes it ridiculously hard to destroy kill a phase gate.

is this just me? it's become almost impossible to track marines as they phase in.

xBlueXFoxx wrote: »
    [Edit] Not sure what the hell happened, but quoting is definitely not on my side today.

I'm mostly supporting of this post, strafe jumping is absurd currently, the value I believe is 9 for the jump radius, this should be dropped to 7 or so, the distance/speed they can get out of the way is hardly strategic currently, you can just keep spam jumping like crazy and be basically unstoppable early game, toss in med packs and a skilled shooter, suddenly the marines are being carried.

As much of a backlash I may get for saying this, if this is how it's going to work for marines, then glance biting should be added back in, so at least some damage (25-50) is inflicted even if you miss the bite by 30-45 degrees, 75 for center bites of a 5-10 degree grace.

It appeared as if nobody liked this system, but I feel it was a good system, even if you missed the slightest bit you would at least inflict some damage, it doesn't really assist good skulks too much, and it raises confidence for newer/rookie skulks.

How it is now however, it's beyond absurd, I do feel UWE could have found a better resolution to balance this out, in pub rounds it results with not even good, but decent marines carrying the game.

There's nothing wrong with nanoshield, but I do think it should only effect exosuits, as they're pretty squishy currently and it can be the difference of an exo surviving a fight, as for marine, I imagine it being used for on an annoying marine with a jetpack and grenade launcher while he works on smashing the alien upgrades. (I'm guilty of being one of those marines.)

glancing bites sucks because there's not enough feedback. you can't see how much damage you've dealt, information which not only helps you in a fight but also being able to relay that information to teammates if you die.

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Can't have enough Gorge tunnels. 2 or 3 insta Gorges = an awful lot of map control in 30 seconds. No-research tunnels was a huge Alien buff.
    I've been cynical really. It should never be needed to skip a lifeform because it feels more and more obsolete. What were Skulk's redeeming feature (early game)? High mobility, ambushing, deadly upclose, spy, biting down extractors and keeping Marines distracted that way. Nowadays it's only really good for spying.
    Takes so much effort to 1. keep track of and 2. to keep up with a Marine. At the same time the Marines are refining their jumping skills. Have you ever seen a whole group of Marines hopping around? Looks hilarious but it's sad what became of the game.
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    imo the single biggest 'mess' in the game and where the marine jumping is most apparent is the 'feed gate'.

i don't know what's causing it - but one of the recent builds causes a marine to come through a phase gate, and at the speed of light manages to get 15m away from you instead of being stuck in melee range (it's like the 'knockback' anti-stuck measure has been greatly amplified for no reason). it makes it ridiculously hard to destroy kill a phase gate.

is this just me? it's become almost impossible to track marines as they phase in.

xBlueXFoxx wrote: »

glancing bites sucks because there's not enough feedback. you can't see how much damage you've dealt, information which not only helps you in a fight but also being able to relay that information to teammates if you die.

Understandable, it would impair coordination, I would no longer be able to communicate consistently and say I have two bites on him, get the third one and he'll be down. I'm sure a simply resolution would be to simply reduce the strafe jumping distance a bit, because right now it's very difficult to bite a bunny hopping marine.

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Never stand blocking a phase gate as you bite it or the marine will appear at a place that isn't blocked. You can still sandwich a phase gate and be in melee range as they come through the portal bit.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    edited October 2013
    It would help immensely if we could track marines through our jaws. The narrow view makes tracking a target awkward when they are jumping around, but each time you bite, your view is severely reduced for a split second. This often coincides with the marine jumping, so they move away from you at the same moment that your view is restricted, making it harder to keep track of where they are. This is often the difference between dying and getting the kill.

Being able to see the orange outline through the Skulk jaws would solve this issue.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Zalamael
    A good point and a concrete solution in 1 post. What has happened to these forums?
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Yeah, i rly like that idea. Simple, no need to balance, sounds simple to implement. Anyway marine acceleration when strafe jumping is insane.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It also sucks that marines have damage direction indicators and aliens don't have jack. When you ambush them, they know from where attack is coming from, basically just jumping in the opposite direction. That even further enhances the insane jumping bullshit.
    Absolutely agree with the vision impairing jaws. Even an option to hide alien viewmodels entirely would be good.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    RejZoR wrote: »
    It also sucks that marines have damage direction indicators and aliens don't have jack. When you ambush them, they know from where attack is coming from, basically just jumping in the opposite direction. That even further enhances the insane jumping bullshit.

Okay, I get that strafe jumping right now is really frustrating to play against, but please refrain from spinning sensationalist mistruths, as it does nothing to strengthen your position. Aliens in fact, do have indicators telling them from which direction they've taken damage from that function in the exact same way as the one marines have.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spinning sensational mistruths? Marines don't have jaws flashing all over their HUD. I have over 200 hours behind me in NS2 playing exclussively aliens and the damage indication is so useless i haven't even noticed it in this time since you're always in CQB (i never get caught in line of fire from a far without knowing from where i'm getting hit without indicators). After chasing the jumping marines around, fighting with the fucked up FOV, vision obscuring jaws (model has eyes above mouth, but as player you have them inside mouth wtf), checking damage indicator direction is the last thing i need to be bothered with.

Removing the jaws entirely would complicate things a bit since then you wouldn't have the right feel when you're attacking, but they could indicate bites by just rendering teeth movement on top and bottom edge of the screen slightly. So they never actually close all the way through the screen. This way you'd have indication of doing bites and not losing the visuals over the environment. Or making the teeth progressively more transparent when upper and lower jaw is closing in to eachother. This way you see the bite happening but you don't lose much of the visual feedback from that activity.
    Also the other thing that's REALLY bothering me for quite a while is that the game just doesn't feel the same from both sides. When i'm skulk it feels like i need bloody half an hour to make a kill. When i'm a marine, skulk kills me in what it seemingly appears as a single bite in a fraction of a second. Level of armor seems to make very little difference, so does carapace level.

When i'm a lerk they seem to gun me down with 1/4 of a clip in like 1 second. When i'm shooting at lerk it feels like i'll need 2 clips and that damn thing still wouldn't F die.

Same with lerk biting stuff. When i'm biting it feels like i'll need to take a holiday to score a kill and when it's the other way around the lerk is all over the place with no fuckin way to even keep an aim on it let alone hit it with rifle or shotgun. Why the fuck it doesn't work the other way around? I do all the same yet i just die pretty much instantly.

And the Gorge. I play a lot with it so i know how it goes. I was filling one sucker with shotgun up his arse for like half a map and that damn thing just wouldn't bloody die. When i'm Gorge every dumber with ordinary rifle can kill me with a steady aim.

I don't know what or how UWE is doing the combat system, but it feels totally inconsistent from one or another side. Where it should actually feel similar once you know how both sides work. Yet it just doesn't.

Good example of a game where it feel the same from both sides is Left 4 Dead 2 "Versus" mode. In that game, both sides felt properly consistent and if you ever played in one or another team you always knew what to expect when defending or attacking. In NS2 it's apparently not the same because it just doesn't feel like it.
    Also the other thing that's REALLY bothering me for quite a while is that the game just doesn't feel the same from both sides. When i'm skulk it feels like i need bloody half an hour to make a kill. When i'm a marine, skulk kills me in what it seemingly appears as a single bite in a fraction of a second. Level of armor seems to make very little difference, so does carapace level.

When i'm a lerk they seem to gun me down with 1/4 of a clip in like 1 second. When i'm shooting at lerk it feels like i'll need 2 clips and that damn thing still wouldn't F die.

Same with lerk biting stuff. When i'm biting it feels like i'll need to take a holiday to score a kill and when it's the other way around the lerk is all over the place with no fuckin way to even keep an aim on it let alone hit it with rifle or shotgun. Why the fuck it doesn't work the other way around? I do all the same yet i just die pretty much instantly.

And the Gorge. I play a lot with it so i know how it goes. I was filling one sucker with shotgun up his arse for like half a map and that damn thing just wouldn't bloody die. When i'm Gorge every dumber with ordinary rifle can kill me with a steady aim.

I don't know what or how UWE is doing the combat system, but it feels totally inconsistent from one or another side. Where it should actually feel similar once you know how both sides work. Yet it just doesn't.

Good example of a game where it feel the same from both sides is Left 4 Dead 2 "Versus" mode. In that game, both sides felt properly consistent and if you ever played in one or another team you always knew what to expect when defending or attacking. In NS2 it's apparently not the same because it just doesn't feel like it.

that just says that you're a below average. therefore you'd only get a consistent experience if you were able to play against yourself :P
    Below average people don't consistently top KD charts, regardless of the opposing team or your own team quality...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    People who consistently be at the top of the charts don't die to 1/4 clip consistantly in the same server in which they were at the top of the charts.
    Do you switch sides in one session constantly to know that from perspective of both teams?
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    *snip* Be nice to other members in here -Iron*
    @RejZoR. WTF do you expect when you make a post like yours? A confession from devs saying they vary the damage just to mess with people? Of course people are going to call you bad. If you honestly think that your lerk dies in 1/4 clip while other lerks can live through 2 clips of direct damage, well then...you're RIGHT. Cause its a conspiracy.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do you switch sides in one session constantly to know that from perspective of both teams?

Do you switch sides to see? No. You only play aliens.

You may be a decent alien with 200 hours, but if all you play is aliens then your definitely a bad marine. I understand, I play 2/3 games as alien probably. I prefer it. Because I have dedicated more time to aliens I am a far better alien than marine. As a marine I have pretty poor aim but I can be that lerk that wont die more often than not.
    edited October 2013
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    *snip* Be nice to other members in here -Iron*
    @RejZoR. WTF do you expect when you make a post like yours? A confession from devs saying they vary the damage just to mess with people? Of course people are going to call you bad. If you honestly think that your lerk dies in 1/4 clip while other lerks can live through 2 clips of direct damage, well then...you're RIGHT. Cause its a conspiracy.

Good i love people on forums who can't read and start to twist your words... Please, do yourself a favor and read my post again before you start twisting my words again will ya? Then open a dictonary and look up for words like "feels like" and "seemingly". Because that's what i used to describe the reception or delivery of kill damage for one or another side. I wasn't stating facts, i was stating how it felt for me during gameplay.

And i also gave you an example of a game (Left 4 Dead 2) that also has 2 very different sides in Versus mode (just like NS2) where it doesn't feel that weird, but it actually feels exactly the same regardless of which side you play, which makes the game feel incredibly consistent and learning curve remains linear. And i got attarcted by NS2 because it's in a way similar to AvP. And even there, aliens were fragile when caught in line of fire but they were also deadly when they came close. And it felt consistent for both sides. It wasn't all wonky like it is in NS2. That's why this issue was poking me so badly in NS2, because it's so obvious. The question here is, does anyone else notices it or not. Judging by your words here you don't seem to have a clue what i'm talking about. And without that, i can't know if it's just a netcode playing tricks on me, server lags, my local connection lag or some other issue. I don't know. But what i do know is that on same connection i didn't have any of such issues with L4D2 playing Versus or AvP playing as marine or alien...

@james888
    I'm playing FPS games for well over 15 years (and i'm not talking as Sunday gamer). That leaves a mark and you can't be bad with such history unless the game is badly designed...
This discussion has been closed.