Fade 3rd skill (big swipe thing)

RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
Is it me or it is completely useless ?

I'm getting used to the fade, but that 3rd skill seems really useless/non viable. I'd prefer the old vortex than that (and why the fuck the old vortex was replaced :( ; it was a cool idea IMO).

Comments

• SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    You probably don't get the current idea.
    Try placing a vortex, move in on a marine, hit him with the big swipe thing and repeat.
    Unhittable killing machine!

This guy does a pretty good job at it:

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It can be pretty useful when the marines are turtling or sticking together in large groups. Combined with vortex you'll be able to blink in, pick them off one at a time, and get back to safety easily.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Sammey wrote: »
    Try placing a vortex, move in on a marine, hit him with the big swipe thing and repeat.

He does normal swipe the whole video (unless once in the end). You can see by the damage he took it wasn't really viable. He could have 2 swipes for the same result it seems...

And the point of this thread* is the 3rd ability, not the vortex.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    You can stab while shadowstepping, so I like to use it in the air when I blink up and SS downwards.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    Use it right after the last jump before you reach someone. It's range is long enough that if you aim dead on, a strafe jump won't take them out of your range

edit: + shadowstep for corrections
  • zoljazolja Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17057Members
    Yeah that, shadowstep and vortex are either unwieldy or poor substitutes of better abilities. But out of all of those stab is probably the most useless. I'd rather have gorge spit than that.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    ive never had a chance to use it... rarely 3 hives, and because i only try to play on pub servers with decent players you really don't live very long as fade - unless you can avoid >1 marine throughout your entire fade lifetime :) (too impatient and like to test the limits a lot - which means i spend most of my time as a skulk)
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stab does seem pretty useless without vortex, but with it you can easily kill any marine anywhere.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Stab does seem pretty useless without vortex, but with it you can easily kill any marine anywhere.

Wow that has to be overstatement of the century. Any marine? Anywhere? Really!? Fades do need a small buff just now. You only have to look at comp play (at ALL divisions!) to see why.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Are you slowing down like in the beta if you attack with stab? (Im a bit outdated because of the crashes) Because that made it extremely unwelcome on my end. And is the vortex only staying for 20 secs? That all sounds like another death trap to me.

I have yet to see any of the "new" abilities in a casted comp map. Then again I would like to see lerk spores for a change as well ;)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I only use it with vortex to wear down exos in the late game, that have lots of marines nearby. Not skilled enough to use it on regular jumping marines, as normal fade swipe is usually better.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's actually great vs exos particularly dual, you can take off a big chunk off and blink away/vortex away. I don't think it needs to be too strong anyway, we already have xeno and stomp on 3 hives to tip the favour.

I guess it's one of those abilities you only tend to see in pub play and pub scrubs can't utilize it properly.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    edited October 2013
    Removed. Pointless subject.

Stab is useless and never seen in comp.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    it is fairly useless except during pub turtles, but if you have vortex and you have all the upgrads + aura you can use it to kill marines who arent paying attention or are busy using the armory rather easily, any marine stood still is an easy target.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ColtColt wrote: »
    Removed. Pointless subject.

Stab is useless and never seen in comp.

While your statement doesn't directly say it, it implies those are causal, which they are not.

A low skill medium impact ability (Which I would not classify Stab as mind you) would be useful in pub games but not really seen in comp games (assuming there is a high skill high impact alternative).

Stab right now feels like a Medium Skill, Low Impact ability making it fairly useless. I feel like if it were for example switched with Shadow Step and became an early game insta-kill it might be seen more. But that also might push Fades back to the level of OP they were pre-reinforced. Late game it can be used somewhat effectively against exos (Since it does Normal Damage not Piercing damage).

So I guess my point is, I like the concept of an ability that lower skilled players can use while mastering the lifeform. Stab isn't there yet but it is an attempt. Another route to improvement would be by making it more effective against armor and structures so it becomes more of a late game asset. To do this I would reduce it's energy cost increasing over all DPS.

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited October 2013
    Sammey wrote: »

and thats a good thing?

Personally I have no major problems with the current vortex, as the last one was useless.

As for stab, it should be replaced with another ability as it only works with vortex. (regular attack is better without vortex)
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    cooltic you and I have different meaning for the word useless.

I used the last vortex every single game it was researched, and lately the only reason I ever ask for fade to get upgraded is for SS, and it's usually after every other class has been taken care of that it's worth it.

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Lack of medpack support is the only reason vortex works in pubs.
    edited October 2013
    i think the new vortex is godlike.

2 marines with jetpack + shotguns in a room? you can keep them busy for ages. it's especially useful when you want to delay or help get a teammate out of trouble without putting yourself at risk.

not to mention you can drop a vortex, retreat to hive to heal - then instantly teleport back to the action (obviously don't drop vortex infront of a shotgun marine).

it's just pure fun to use, and if stab was better then it would be incredibly deadly... it makes me happy knowing that the old crappy boring annoying vortex was removed.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    coolitic wrote: »

and thats a good thing?

Personally I have no major problems with the current vortex, as the last one was useless.

As for stab, it should be replaced with another ability as it only works with vortex. (regular attack is better without vortex)

It was far from useless. Just because most people couldn't use it properly doesn't mean it was useless.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    i think the new vortex is godlike.

2 marines with jetpack + shotguns in a room? you can keep them busy for ages. it's especially useful when you want to delay or help get a teammate out of trouble without putting yourself at risk.

not to mention you can drop a vortex, retreat to hive to heal - then instantly teleport back to the action (obviously don't drop vortex infront of a shotgun marine).

So how do you keep 2 jetpack+shotgun marines busy for ages in one room without dropping vortex in front of one of them? Every time I've tried vortex in a room with more than one marine, one of them always has a working brain and would wait for the easy meatshot...
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013

and thats a good thing?

It was far from useless. Just because most people couldn't use it properly doesn't mean it was useless.

Old vortex was f* awesome. Delay (or stop ?) beacon, prevent respawning, vortex a marine to separate marines while your team comes by...

Allow an onos to come to an exo without much damage...

Strongest ability in the game IMO.
    edited October 2013
    RedSword wrote: »

and thats a good thing?

Old vortex was f* awesome. Delay (or stop ?) beacon, prevent respawning, vortex a marine to separate marines while your team comes by...

Allow an onos to come to an exo without much damage...

Strongest ability in the game IMO.

strong, yes.

obnoxiously turd 'world of warcraft'-like anti-skill crowd control ability, yes.
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    edited October 2013
    Now without old vortex an onos has troubles in getting close to exos without getting killed. In that way i would tweak bone shield ability to allow move slowly while using it instead of bringing back old vortex. BTW new stab is useless. Blink should be available during stabbing or just allow to stab after you charge and then realease the mouse1 button (time when you release is up to you).
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    obnoxiously turd 'world of warcraft'-like anti-skill ability, yes.

Don't forget to add xeno, stomp, spore, and umbra to your turd-like no-skill list.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    RedSword wrote: »
    Is it me or it is completely useless ?

I'm getting used to the fade, but that 3rd skill seems really useless/non viable. I'd prefer the old vortex than that (and why the fuck the old vortex was replaced :( ; it was a cool idea IMO).

Education Required:

Your welcome :)