[TUTORIAL] Fast Curved Trim Texture Alignment

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited October 2013 in Mapping
I'm working on making the final version of the ready room for my map, and one half of it is very "Descent-looking", ie LOTS of smooth, clean curves. This makes trim a nightmare for the flat parts where you have to rotate the trim to follow the flow of the geometry... that is... unless you know this little trick. All you have to do is raise one side of the trim w/o texture lock, lock it, then lower that side back down. That gets your rotations correct, then you still have to shift the textures into the right coordinates, which in this case was as easy as clicking "center". Depending on the texture and how dense you're making the curve, you might still have to shift them back and forth to make it not look so repetitive.

Video:

Yea yea, that's a LOT of polygons for a curve, but I did that many just for the example. :)

EDIT: Alternatively, if you've already textured around the trim and locking/unlocking will screw it up, what you can do instead is raise one side of the trim a teensy-tiny-insignificant amount (like .03 or something), and that should get you the same result. Just make sure the texture lock is off when you do this.

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Nice trick! Things like this cumulatively become huge time savers.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    That's...brilliant...
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    if you or anyone else has a bunch of tricky tricks, TELLZ US1!!1@2
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    if you or anyone else has a bunch of tricky tricks, TELLZ US1!!1@2

Gladly. I just found this one out today, and recorded it as soon as I figured out exactly what made it work. I don't have any other tricks at the moment that I don't think anybody else knows. If I come up with any other nice techniques, I'll post them up.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    That's very cool! Big time and effort saver. I added the tutorial to the NS2SCC third party mapping tutorials playlist.
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    OMG! It's easy! And it saves a lot of time! Thank you so much for the contribution!!!
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Very impressive, nice find, I shall be using this in the future.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Janos wrote: »
    Very impressive, nice find, I shall be using this in the future.
    @Janos finish Hera pls!
    @BeigeAlert find more useful tricks pls!
    Good idea adding the tutorial!
    :>
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    wow, you rule. this is so useful.