Tactics

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
What sort of advanced/clever tactics have you seen used in competitive play?
e.g. coordinated pushes, feints etc.

Comments

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    One thing we've done:
    My clan is known (locally) for doing shotgun rushes involving a forward armory (research shotguns at base, collect shotguns from an armory outside the hive).
    On Biodome, for our marine round, our plan was to claim the bottom left third of the map and leave the right side of the map alone. So, at the start of the round, I dropped a ghost armory between their hive and Agri Labs. They quickly spotted it, removed it, and then set up a Seeding-facing ambush in Falls. Meanwhile, we built base and wandered off to cap some nodes on the left side of the map.
    All in all, that armory bought us about 30 more seconds of quiet time at the start of the round.
  • MarZMarZ Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162473Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The "undefended" phase gate: Whole team pushing e.g. a hive as marines. One marine is hiding near the forward face gate e.g. crossroads and waits till 2-3 aliens surround the face gate. Then starting to pistol zipping the skulk and kill the rest with shotgun/rifle or even distract them. Now i am doing this in pub games: One lonely fade on the phase gate=> 2 Shotgun hits in the back
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    What i really wonder is.

-Why do they never echo harvesters in competetive games?
    -why never echo upgrades to a save place when the hive is under attack or arcs incoming?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    We (gorge busters) have been using echo in competitive games sometimes. It's a much slower expansion rate now that the commander has been nerfed into oblivion, but it allows you to be slightly safer in that expansion. I think it works better on some maps than others, and against some opponents than others. No reason not to give it a go on occasion :)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Lets see...
    Mucous membrane, enzyme, mucous membrane, enzyme...
    And a little more mucous membrane.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    you forgot the whip spam
  • _Revilo__Revilo_ Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    kalakuja wrote: »
    quaxy tested and proven:
    fast jetpacks+gls into 3 marine shooting themself while on the way to the hive.
    instant 5 lerk rush where 1 lerk flies to the pit, 1 takes gorge by accident, and 2 lerks that manage to find the marine base die to a mine at the powernode.

Please tell me these games were casted

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    mulkmulkmulkmulkmulkmulkmulkmulkmulkmulkmulkmulkmulkmulk
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    protip, crash less than the other team.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2013
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns2 tactics is entirely scouting and positional play due to 'unit' effectiveness being somewhat randomized by personal skill.

if you're looking for abusive shit, just do sg rushes and gorge rushes or cloakwalk cc rushes. but none of that actually makes you better.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited October 2013
    on-the-fly tactics are insanely difficult though, when compared to strategy like SC2. in ns2, most of the time you're better off just going cookie cutter and then supreme pressure when you get a break. doing something fancy like a base rush or expensive TRES dumps is just too risky.

deathmatch is supremely important. a sick play by a single player can turn the tide of a team battle far more than any tactic.
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns2 is all about on-the-fly tactics. Calling positions, scouting and reacting to it. Set strategy is the hard part. About the only planned things are timings to abuse. Lifeform timings, tech timings.

Things like knowing how much res the aliens are on and then pushing for gates right as fades are going up. Scout the number of lerks, then force the lerk to respond to one side and do damage on the other. There are TONS of little tactics the best teams use that most people will never notice.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They're called nuances. A combination of tactics, tricks, and subtlety that are unfortuantely learned after the fact of a match or by observation of other games if you're lucky.