OLED TV hits the market

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold

Comments

• GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    Ah cool! Been waiting for these. I make a habit of asking if there's any OLEDs on display whenever I end up in a store with TVs just so I can have a peek for myself :3
    Not a fan of the silly curve design a lot of them seem to be going for though...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Now we just need an Oculus Rift with OLED.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    LG had them beat by a few weeks... but the LG model started at around 15k. Speaking from real life experiences with these, they kick the crap out of the current 4k tv lineup.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    edited September 2013
    "It has WIFI like every other television for the last two years!"
    "A camera THAT WE TOTALLY SWEAR YOU HAVE TO TURN ON YOURSELF"
    "Also, um, ports for plugging wires into!"
    "Your family will love watching two separate TV shows simultaneously so you literally do not have to interact with each other at all!"
    "3D! (note: you must be wearing bulky-ass shuttered glasses)"

Sure hope they figured out how to fix the issue with the different color OLEDs decaying at different rates. LOL when you $9000 TV has messed up hues 5 years from now.
    Go back to shoehorning larger displays into your phones Samsung, that's all you're good at.
    or just give me a 32" 4k OLED display, that would be cool too

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm curious when they'll ever make an LED monitor which can compare to a CRT in terms of refresh speed/response time, also curious when they'll start filming shows/movies at a higher framerate... I mean really we have the hardware and it's not utilized, movies should have been 60 frames per second ages ago; the blurring effect isn't an excuse to keep movies recording at low frames, they can add that manually with all of the editing tech and etc
    zeke, did you mean "LED" (aka LED backlit LCD), LED (actual LED) or OLED? ;3
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    *Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery due to the special handling and installation requirements of this product.
    so they made a smart tv you cant install yourself?
    Geminosity wrote: »
    zeke, did you mean "LED" (aka LED backlit LCD), LED (actual LED) or OLED? ;3

any lcd
    edited September 2013
    LCD and LED are completely different :o

LCD is like a mask of pixels with some kind of seperate and usually general light source required to give it brightness so usually you get pretty 'meh' contrast with your blacks being more grey, and it makes the picture feel less 'sharp' in general.
    The new "LED" Tvs (not OLED or Crystal LED) are LCD TVs where they've tried to compensate by using LEDs to light areas of the screen rather than the whole thing. This helps the contrast a bit, but again because you're not turning off the light on a per pixel basis you'll get some glow leaking into the blacks in places and most 'LED' TVs don't even have a full LED Backlight, opting instead for the cheaper edge-lit method (so you'll notice the darker colours get lighter as you get closer to the sides of the screen)

LED are individual light sources meaning each pixel is on or off giving you proper contrast meaning black blacks and a much 'sharper' or vivid looking picture.

The contrast thing is much more impressive than people tend to realise... in public tests, TVs with better contrast have often been voted on as having the highest resolution picture, even when they're half the rez of the other units they've been compared to :P

TLDR VERSION: LCD and "LED" is rubbish compared to Crystal LED and OLED :3
    edited September 2013
    my entire post was about refresh speed/input response, no led/lcd or whatever the crap can even compare to a 60hz crt, let alone the 120+hz crts

edit: and yes, crts are bad for your eyes; also them having no native resolution was pretty dope (and annoying) also they were superior in color, which is why some professional artists/photographers use CRTs
    edited September 2013
    Oh? According to all the tests and whatnot I've seen online, OLED actually has a faster response time than CRT :P

As far as I've gathered from reading about, the main problem with OLED for gaming is the motion blur which is caused by how we perceive motion and how that interacts with continuous displays. Check this to see what I mean: Why Do Some OLED’s Have Motion Blur?

As far as colour goes, I've never seen anything that beat DLP. The one time I saw a DLP TV I basically sat there awestruck for a good 5 minutes, it was like looking through a window or something rather than looking at a screen.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    To avoid confusion - the so called "LED" TVs and displays are just your ol' LCD panels with LED backlight instead of CCFL backlight. The inherent LCD tech problems are still present - they use liquid crystals that change translucency to filter the uniform backlight, so you have problems with viewing angles, backlight bleeding, contrast and color gamut.

OLED, on the other hand, is an entirely different beast - it uses organic luminiscent materials, so no backlight, each pixel emits its own light, brightness can be controlled per-pixel. It offers much wider gamut (apps must be properly calibrated, though, or the result will be oversaturated, garish image), superior response times comparable to CRT and perfect viewing angles. So OLED is not "LED", OLED is also not LCD, it's a completely different technology. It is possible to create an LCD panel with OLED backlight, though.

However, subpixel degradation is a problem, my 2 years old Samsung Galaxy 2 looks like crap now with dark spots all over the display. Still, if they offer it as a TV panel now, I guess they must have found a way to address the longevity problem.
  • SmashITSmashIT Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185504Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    However, subpixel degradation is a problem, my 2 years old Samsung Galaxy 2 looks like crap now with dark spots all over the display. Still, if they offer it as a TV panel now, I guess they must have found a way to address the longevity problem.

They might just offer the TV's with a 2 year warranty.
    Welcome to the world of planned obsolesce...
    SmashIT wrote: »

They might just offer the TV's with a 2 year warranty.
    Welcome to the world of planned obsolesce...

that's the market everywhere, instead of fixing a problem they mostly release a new model
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    edited September 2013
    DLP will still look the best due to the fact that each pixel is itself completely filled with the desired color.
    As opposed to LCD/CRT/OLED which all have a red,green and blue section stuffed super close to each other.

Digital micromirror displays are really just super cool in tons of ways.

OLED are capable of having ridiculous response times (on the order of tens of nanoseconds). Ofcourse that requires the driving system to be made carefully, unlikely in a consumer grade unit.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/KN55S9CAFXZA-features

Yay! Bit too expensive still, though.

It's under $9000 :-/ .
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    HeatSurge wrote: »

WHAT 9000!? There's no way tha... Oh wait... DAMMIT!
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    HeatSurge wrote: »

WHAT 9000!? There's no way tha... Oh wait... DAMMIT!

Kakarott wants his scouter back. :)) ;)