Team #156 celebrates over 100 builds of NS2

gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Yes, we are still alive but on life support. Not many of us left but we are still out here. I still have the Team #156 US West server up and running and it was one of the very first real US based NS2 server. Of course I have upgraded it since those days but at one time it was the cat's meow. Now I just wish we could get it populated once again :-)

Now we have over 15 servers including Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Central US and in Europe.

The things we have seen and how much the game has changed "since the very beginning" is quite amazing. The days of putting 10 macs under the com chair to using a flamethrower through walls to kill hives... the game has come a long way.

What do you remember from the "old Alpha / Beta" days?

Team #156 Playa_2b

Comments

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Grenade Launcher Attachment.

R.I.P
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    I remember trying to play multiple times throughout alpha and being disappointed that my PC still couldn't run the game any better than my toaster could.

Still love my black armor though. :D
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    best server for quaxy stacks.
    Gud gaims!
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bilebombing lerks! :D
    And the ability to place unlimited stuff as a gorge causing major lag and framedrops lategame!
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    -A black screen on start up.
    -Being able to clog really fast, and using it to clog phasegates that where against the wall so marines got stuck and continues to next PG.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    The I_have_too_much_Tres_so_i_will_cyst_EVERYTHING_and_kill_the_server_tickrate pub strat.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Batteries... lol
    mini-cysts still feel like they are an option if I gorged
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    hydras that did incredible amounts of damage and cost no res.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wooden target dummies. Bring it on new blood.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Personally I was a huge fan on the drifter rush. Every couple games I would command, and not get any upgrades for my little skulks. Just as they started to complain about not having upgrades I would send my 100+ drifter army to the enemy base and win. If I felt really troll I would just get groups of 15 drifters or so at various locations and when a marine would walk by I would send the drifters after him. People soon learned it was coming when the server lagged very very bad. I miss the drifters. SO troll.

As mentioned:
    Cyst a room to the point it was laggy...
    Back when I asked "How many sentries can I fit in shipping on the map tram?"
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Rockdown, crazy fade ghost teleporting mechanic, sniping lerk, skulk tennis with rifle butt, infestation requiring flame thrower (and FT going through walls), shotgun lerk spikes, 2 commanders in 2 CCs, GL being the holy grail of weapons, 40 something drifters taking down CCs like BB wishes it could.....
    and my guilty favorite: Actual pitch black rooms in the beginning of the round because the skulks had something other to do than rush base - they wanted to fight you in the dark.

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I miss ambushing marines with clouds of drifters. :(
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    1- Mine ladders
    2- SMG - GL combination
    2- Supper fast chewing lerks, first iteration of lerk bite :)
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited September 2013
    I miss

Rockdown
    Insta teleport Fade
    Ranged Lerk spores
    Drifters exploding into massive hives (or harvester/structures)

(Also, what was res called then, Plasma and Carbon? Still sounds way cooler :> )
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    Even though it had to go~
    I miss this the most!!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    hahaha.. that is soooon wrong.

Come to think of it I loved clogging PGs, I saw that happen in the patch I joined.
    Damn you for making me remember. /cries
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I actually miss the alpha LMG sound.

Helicopter LMG was best LMG
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Frenzy fade of GG!
  • UlmontUlmont Join Date: 2011-10-02 Member: 125211Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    RIP Rockdown Sentries & Amazing LMG Model.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Burdock wrote: »
    I miss this the most!!

Its been awhile since I have seen that video. Gosh the nostalgia.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Even better than the rifle butt skulk tennis, was the rifle butt stun. Don't you dare to jump next to a marine!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    That sweet "minimal" infestation. :)
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    We will never forget the greatest hero the Trans-System Federation has ever known: Welder Man!

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Burdock wrote: »
    I miss this the most!!

Haha classic trollodea