pls use your gorge tunnel to infest RTs

turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I have been playing this game far too much the past week and I have been kind of shocked as to how many people didn't know (what I thought) basic mechanics of both gorge and alien commander.

Gorge tunnels produce infestation. Works exactly like a cyst except that you can only build from it, not cyst. The typical way to use this is to put a sneaky gorge tunnel somewhere on the map and place a shade on it, but something I don't see anyone do is use it to cyst a RT. If you're fighting over a sought after room, marines are going to break the cyst chain to it in attempt to starve/annoy you, so place the tunnel relatively close (even on the other side of a wall) to the RT. First example I can think of is Nano on Veil. http://imgur.com/a/agdAq

Next up, alien commander. I don't think I have actually seen a alien commander spread the upgrades out between hives. Stop insisting that you put all of your shells at your crag hive, spurs at shift, ect. If you lose that hive (and marines take the room), you just lost your shells and ability to make them assuming you couldn't echo them out for some reason. Place at least one shell at your shift/shade hive when possible, echo only costs 2 res if needed. Ideally when both hives are up and you have a little spare res, you could just echo all of your upgrades to the opposite hive. Did your Crag hive go down? No need to fret because all of your shells are at the other hive, but you've lose your spurs (which can be rebuilt instantly if not already echoed out).
http://imgur.com/37puWrN

thx

*Edited your title so its more clear than 3 letters ;) -Ironhorse*

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I personally like to put my shells spurs and veils between hives in an infested room that does not see much marine traffic but only with a shade. Does not work on all maps though.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yeah you have to be careful with that tactic. We accidentally stumbled across all 3 of TAW's spurs on Descent (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2154909/#Comment_2154909) in round 2. Costly!

Also I forget which clan it was, maybe Saunamen? Or maybe it was in the summer cup... hmm anyway someone did the nanogrid gorge tunnel tactic, but it proved less useful than you'd imagine: as soon as marines have found it, they only need to take down that 1 structure and you lose:
    a) means to get to nanogrid quickly
    b) infestation to both harvesters very quickly
    c) ability to recyst the harvesters, or to echo structures nearby the dying harvesters (as it takes less time for the infestation to recede when it's only a gorge tunnel than if it's the whole room cysted up).
    d) pres on the gorge who placed the tunnel

Overall I'd say it's less useful than might be imagined, specifically for key map points.

On the other hand, gorge tunnels to sneaky healing stations can be incredibly useful to support the attack of more remote marine bases while allowing you to respond to counter attacks quickly: for example, sneaky gorge tunnels in topo/sky on Veil or silo/obs on Descent.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Also one thing i would like to add:

Alien Khamms please start using the shift, you can save a lot of tres using it e.g. if marines rush into a base with all upgrades "echo" them into another base with the shift.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Yeah you have to be careful with that tactic. We accidentally stumbled across all 3 of TAW's spurs on Descent (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2154909/#Comment_2154909) in round 2. Costly!

Also I forget which clan it was, maybe Saunamen? Or maybe it was in the summer cup... hmm anyway someone did the nanogrid gorge tunnel tactic, but it proved less useful than you'd imagine: as soon as marines have found it, they only need to take down that 1 structure and you lose:
    a) means to get to nanogrid quickly
    b) infestation to both harvesters very quickly
    c) ability to recyst the harvesters, or to echo structures nearby the dying harvesters (as it takes less time for the infestation to recede when it's only a gorge tunnel than if it's the whole room cysted up).
    d) pres on the gorge who placed the tunnel

Overall I'd say it's less useful than might be imagined, specifically for key map points.

On the other hand, gorge tunnels to sneaky healing stations can be incredibly useful to support the attack of more remote marine bases while allowing you to respond to counter attacks quickly: for example, sneaky gorge tunnels in topo/sky on Veil or silo/obs on Descent.

clearly you don't not cyst to nano, it's just a backup.

seeing as how I didn't post this in the Competitive section (I don't watch nor play, so I wouldn't), I didn't expect I would need to say that this isn't focused or even viable in 6's. thanks for the post.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    seeing as how I didn't post this in the Competitive section (I don't watch nor play, so I wouldn't), I didn't expect I would need to say that this isn't focused or even viable in 6's. thanks for the post.

On these forums you always have to expect that anything and everything you post will be viewed from a 6v6 comp perspective from a certain percentage of the members, unless you specify otherwise.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    ]

Doesn't matter that you don't play 6v6. It could be viable in 6s how do you know if you don't play pugs or other 6v6 games?
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    why would you take my word on what is viable or not in 6v if we both just acknowledged that I don't play or watch it.

edit: worded a wee bit better
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »
    I personally like to put my shells spurs and veils between hives in an infested room that does not see much marine traffic but only with a shade. Does not work on all maps though.

An example would be the back corner of Ballcourt with a shade, drifter and shift. (assuming you are holding locker and Generator) If one falls just start echoing everything to the surviving hive. The drifter is valuable to scout ninja phase gate anyway so now it gets double duty to justify it's new 8 Res cost.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members

An example would be the back corner of Ballcourt with a shade, drifter and shift. (assuming you are holding locker and Generator) If one falls just start echoing everything to the surviving hive. The drifter is valuable to scout ninja phase gate anyway so now it gets double duty to justify it's new 8 Res cost.

I wouldn't put a drifter under a shades protection. Their cloak is slightly different than the structures so they stand out and are easy to spot.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »

I wouldn't put a drifter under a shades protection. Their cloak is slightly different than the structures so they stand out and are easy to spot.

Good to know thanks. Maybe a Drifter set to patrol a wider area Ballcourt through generator for example, sometimes in Pubs I have trouble trusting my players to occasionally scout our rear.
  • popolitopopolito Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187177Members
    What i don't understand is how aliens lose a 30 minute game where they are on 3 hives for more than 10 minutes. Sucks to have commanders who don't realize they can end the game and/or don't use echo cost effectively and drop a million random buildings. Turns out many players are good fades when they have shifts and crags echoed right outside where they're fighting.
    Also the tunnel to nano is pretty decent in pubs in my experience. Saves a lot of res since a lot of pub rines suicide in y junction and system killing cysts. Can also backup your team quickly in nano. which is nice, since alien comm is so damn boring now.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    While I can think of a few places that strat may work, it's risky. Like you said, better to lose 1-2 on a fairly predictable basis, then risk suddenly losing 60. I suppose you could throw a shift there to emergency echo them away if you notice in time, but that just increases the odds of them being bumped in to.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Blarney is right. Much better than hiding upgrades somewhere, is being able to defend them instantly.
    hozz wrote: »
    Blarney is right. Much better than hiding upgrades somewhere, is being able to defend them instantly.

I think it is about managing risk. Honestly having all your upgrades in one place is a bit of a risk anyway. If it is area between your hives you are more likely to have time to respond from either. Locker rooms to Ballcourt for example is a short walk. On top of that this Strategy will only be effective so long as it is uncommon. If everyone starts hiding upgrades around the map it will become common place to scout the map for hidden upgrades.

Until then, the chances that Ballcourt is scanned/someone bumps into an upgrade hidden in a corner are pretty slim. If they do, chances are it is because they are in combat which should give you enough time to echo them away.

I have used this strategy a few times on various maps. Only once were they discovered (Bottom left corner of maintenance not Ballcourt) and I have never lost any of the upgrades.

And if I do put them in base, I try and split them up. Putting all upgrades in a nice little row is like Christmas to a JP Flamer Marine.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Plz fix the bug where infestation comes through a gorge tunnel that is not connected to infestation.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Also, somewhat related.. what i see most games now after this patch:
    6aor44J.jpg
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    a lot, if not all, of this will be in my rewritten kham guide soon.
    Its on the todo list, but ya know.. playing ns2 is much more interesting then writing borin guides. :D

• DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Plz fix the bug where infestation comes through a gorge tunnel that is not connected to infestation.

-Gorge Tunnels will now always spawn Infestation (other side doesn’t need to be infested)

From the reinforced changelog.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    If you're on veil and put a tunnel in nano, please put it between the rts behind the railing. The infestation will cover both rt spots and save your com a huge headache when marines try to cut the cyst chain in system waypointing. Plus its harder to hit behind the railing when a marine tries to shoot at it from outside nano because the railing blocks a lot of bullets.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Thanks for the gorge tunnel in nano tip, now that gorge tunnels are free tech, it should help ENORMOUSLY with those horrifying pipeline spawns. Awesome!

As for upgrades, on pubs just abuse F4-F2 gorge and stack a pile of clogs on your hydra guarded upgrades. Gg. :P
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    it should help ENORMOUSLY with those horrifying pipeline spawns.

Pipe is 1000x better than sub.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm not sure how useful this strat will be in practice as its my experience that which res nodes you can build are mostly limited by the ones you can protect from marine attack rather than any limitation from cysting/infestation. At best, nano is probably the only place this is viable as you get two RTs and can put that extra 5TRes into early upgrades rather than cysts.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    a lot, if not all, of this will be in my rewritten kham guide soon.
    Its on the todo list, but ya know.. playing ns2 is much more interesting then writing borin guides. :D

Yea the only problem with that is that you end up in the wrong tunnel with alien vision on lol or at least I do
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Rly? o_o

Yes system is way easier for marines to lock down than dome (early anyway) and since dome now goes to nano...
    Well yeah, but without the lockdown. Dun really happen often. Also, if marines get a phase in the neck, now THAT'S an impossible location to flush marines out of. Insanely long hallways, UPHILL from the hive. :P
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Yeah you have to be careful with that tactic. We accidentally stumbled across all 3 of TAW's spurs on Descent

I just watched that game it was funny how long it could stand but if the cyst chain worked for aliens they would not only infest gravity more but also secure dronebay meaning the marines would be pushed back to observation and occupied with getting back drone rather than backstabbing gravity. Gravity harvester would maby be flanked and taken out then that marine could backstab drone bay again instead of pushing in where the upgrades was. Im not saying it was the best location or safe to have them there just that it COULD work with a little luck and they was all out of luck! Nicely played btw :)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the gorge tunnel in nano tip, now that gorge tunnels are free tech, it should help ENORMOUSLY with those horrifying pipeline spawns. Awesome!

Wow, just got a blast to the past with that one :p

In case you didn't know (if you do know forgive me), Mendasp changed Veil around a few months ago, making it easier to cyst into nano from pipeline. Pipe is now generally considered to be better than cargo and as good/better than sub as a spawn point.
    Yeah I know, just have a hard time believing it. Pipe still looks like it's really far from anything, and it still has LOTS of uphill ground to cover to get away from. Gotta play it a bit more to know 4 shoo. :p