Need More Commanders

SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I have seen too many games with full teams, but no one willing to be a commander.
So we sit and wait for 5 minutes, until reluctantly someone jumps in or people leave.

I can understand why, it takes effort to properly command, players can have high
expectations, you can get abuse if too slow with requests, blamed for the team losing.

So why exactly would anyone want to be a commander?

We need to some how encourage more people to take on the role, maybe some sort
of visual skin perk for a couple of days to those who have commanded a full game.

Some may think it extreme, but I also believe completing commander training should
be a requirement before you can join a server. It would help people better understand
how resources are involved and reduce the 'I have never done it before' barrier.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Comments

• Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Your suggestion will only annoy people and not get more coms.

Problem is com is mostly frustrating, plus it's like a hen-egg problem.

A) If you want to play a decent game, you need a decent com, however, bad coms can't get decent without practice.

B) For com to be fun, you need to be challanged.
    1. Alien is just mostly dropping stuff and using drifter here and there and doing nothing else; boring most of the time
    2. Marine is much better, because it is more demanding.

3. Still a huge fun killer is a bad team that has no clue. I had games where I had to protect like 3 bases from skulks [or marines for that matter] constantly, because nobody ever listens to anything or watches map. Games lost because of that too.
    Also no point in playing com when teams are uneven disfavoring your own team.

4. Interface, although improved significantly since beta, can still be frusttrating. Like selecting/hitting random buildings or NPC units being stupid (like MACs starting to weld somewhere whilst you wanted them somewhere else)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    As comm you need iron nerves. Everyone is complaining, noone cares what you say. Therefore i go commanding alot but you rly wonder why ppl don't like it? Maybe it is because how you are treaten at the moment as commander . And yes sometimes i also annoy my commander. But then its only because i need orders or have suggestion.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited September 2013
    The abuse is pretty mad sometimes.

How to get more comms?

Be a mediator. If someone is b*tching to the comm _undeservedly_, SAY something. Comm doesn't have time to argue with a single player, or the game gets even worse and he receives even more blame. Even if the guy blaming the comm would be right, you can tell him the way he's putting it is "way too mad" or overkill or whatever.

Edit: I still love being comm, because I'm pretty good at it, but holy hell it must be bad for inexperienced players. The number of times I have to explain why am I not doing something is HUGE, and if you can't answer that question whining ensues.

"Comm rt in sky pls."
    "i told you im not dropping you sky"
    "why not"
    "because it keeps getting taken out we gotta focus nano or we lose"
    "k just drop it i go nano then"
    "you're alone i can't drop it you can get taken out right after"
    "OMG STUPID COMM WE NEED RES"

Meanwhile your team is getting brutally MURDERED elsewhere.

Not the best example, but in general, reading (as in reading the situation) and communicating stuff like that is a drag. :P
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I always tell complainers that if they can do better, they are happy to start comming right this minute or the next match.
    Noone took up the offer yet.

As for comming.. The 'few' who are willing to comm are pushed away either by bad teamplay & behavior, or by needing to comm so many times that they just want to do something else.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I really liked commanding during the beta. But after release I gradually stopped commanding. There are too many unfriendly people who think they know it better after a few hours of playing, that don't even want to command themselfs or fail if they try it. And the way you command changed in a direction I don't like it + constant crashes made it too unattractive for me to command.

On the other side, waiting for someone to command takes way too long. You can jump around the map until the round starts = no one feels the urge to command and start a game. If there is no comm after 1 minute, a teamvote should decide who comms. Maybe with the option to opt out and in for the vote. Like in Empires Mod.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I don't think the whiners are the problem - the ignorants are. Those isolated beings who are completely unaware of any external influences.

I don't mind explaining the game to newbies. But I mind talking with bricks.
  • RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
    edited September 2013
    While i certainly understand the frustration with lack of commanders i don't really think that any form of extra enticement to learn to command is a good idea, because the people who i believe end up being A) good commanders and B) commanders who stick around commanding for a long time are those who have those iron nerves and will to support to push through all the crap on their own. And this is why there's so few good commanders. Extra enticement isn't gonna change something that has to do with your personality. In a game where the commander can make such a huge difference as NS2, i don't think the half-assers are good enough either. I'd rather change server than be led by a commander who doesn't really want to command, or more commonly; command myself.
  • 11monkeys11monkeys Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 177001Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Simple.
    You're not the commander. That simply is a bad term.
    You don't command anything. You're the teams bitch.

At least untill you play with a good team wich actually doesn't see you as a bitch
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I'm usually the guy that gets badgered into commanding because no one volunteers. This happens enough I've actually started doing fairly well as a commander. The biggest thing that makes me not want to command isn't the jerks who complain all game. I've been playing online games for too long to give a shit. It's when people completely ignore you. When there isn't a single person with a mic in the game and people aren't helping each other out it feels like you are talking to a particularly thick brick wall.

It's worse as a alien commander, at least with marines you can still spam medpacks and nanoshield and pray your team manages to accomplish something. With aliens you just stare intently at the screen while your team dies as the only real method of direct support aside from the occasional well placed bonewall is drifter enzymes. You have to have a drifter ready all over the place and they will generally die costing you the equivalent of a harvester in res. I adore the addition of contamination you can personally take out the marine base with whips even with minimal player cooperation.

The best way I could see the commander experience improving was if we could magically drill into peoples' heads the notion that the commander is the commander. Even if the players suck, if they listened to you at least I don't feel particularly put off by it.
  • PattyDaPlayerPattyDaPlayer Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187346Members
    Pyro the best way I've found for people to listen to you as the commander is be both assertive and direct. Tell people directly what you want done and where to go. Check your map constantly and tell people closest to whatever goal you want done to do it. For example: on veil if you want people to go to pipeline and you see people in topo or c-12 specifically tell the topo/c12 people to move to pipeline get power up, etc.

Of course this doesn't totally mitigate the whole problem but I find that most of the time your players are not actually actively ignoring you but most are just lost and running around not sure what to do.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I play as comm quite often because I think it's one of the most fun parts of the game. Meanwhile I'm quite confident, calm and can react on every request instantly. You just have to deal with it, also with the unfriendly guys, because that's part of the job. You can't expect to be responsible for 10 people, not doing good, and not getting blamed. There are people that want to win.

But I admit, it's hard to get to a state where people are completely satisfied with you, even when you lose. Just deal with it.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    i like to command alot, but i dislike commanding on pubs, and that's mostly down to alot of players play this game like its call of duty and just try to get as many kills as they can, not at all a bad thing, but when you refuse to listen, refuse to work as a team, refuse to follow orders/stay in a group, then lose the game and then blame everyone else and even the commander.

• Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    I've been commanding since Beta NS1 days. I love it and hate it at the same time. Leading people to victory is an awesome experience, but there is tons of frustration that comes with it depending on the players you have. I just started getting into alien commander now and I love it. I get pretty agitated sometimes though if people aren't listening at all, and sometimes I curse up a storm, but at the end of the day its all in good fun.

If nobody is willing to jump in, then 'you' man up and take it whether you know how to or not. Its a great opportunity to learn the game from a whole different perspective.

Any chance I get I love commanding.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I have no problem commanding, and actually love the role

However, I hate losing even at a public setting and I know how much I weigh and since the community is so small you know by playernames who is someone decent and who is just well.. not, so when you see your team is the latter you can't really command because you're guaranteeing yourself a loss.. like losing with a total of 750 points is pretty obnoxious.. actually it's obnoxious that the game even went on long enough for you to single handed do so much damage and still lose because your team could not do anything

What I'm saying is

Commanding people who will lose regardless is not fun, you have a higher chance winning with an 'ok' commander and a good field player, instead of a 'master' commander and a bunch of awful field players

tl;dr - player skill levels have gotten worse as the years in fps gaming has progressed
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    "It's 10 minutes and we have no upgrades" *eject*
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I command a lot, although admittedly after 252+ I've sort of shied away from alien commanding, because if I want to sit around doing nothing of importance for 20-30 minutes I'll just play minesweeper or something.

The single most frustrating thing about commanding is having to deal with people on servers. On average, a player will be one of the following: a new player (or someone who just doesn't understand the objectives) who is uncommunicative and refuses to listen to any of your requests, or an arrogant backseat comm who clearly learned the basics of comming from a YouTube video a couple days ago and now feels as though he has the right to criticize your every move (you know the kind, the one who says "do you know how to comm" when you jump into the chair and berates you for not getting phase gates in the first minute because "how else can we have map control?"). On average, you will get 1-2 players who actually listen to what you tell them to do.

Honestly, I feel like a lot of people miss the point about what the commander is supposed to do. Yes, the tech tree is important, but if the commander doesn't know what to build in order to get armor it isn't the end of the world. A more experienced player can instruct them during the course of the game. When I judge a commander I pay more attention to how he communicates with his team than what his build order is. (Well, that and medpacks. Those medpacks are important.) The most important thing the comm does is provide his team with a grand overlying strategy, a plan that they can execute. And I would rather have everyone following a horrible plan than have most of the team doing their own thing out of ignorance or a false sense of superiority.

I put up with it, because I do get something of a thrill being the commander and overseeing everything, but I can fully understand why many players, especially newer ones, stay away from the chair. The backseat comm types can be really harsh, and if I had just started playing NS2 I would be nervous about jumping into the chair knowing that my every move would be questioned like that. It's only now that I've played the game a bunch and understand its mechanics more than your average pub know-it-all that I can brush off some of their comments.
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    Commander really has little effect on the game after a certain level of competency.

Most of the game is decided by the team.

The constant whining is because all players see when the commander is slow dropping an RT, misses a beacon (beacons too cautiously) or makes any other error. But people overlook when 2 marines fail to hit the gorge bileboming your IP, or when people res-skip or block the spawn queue needlessly.

It's one of those things that will never be solved.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    edited September 2013
    I find myself commanding quite a bit lately simply because nobody else will. I enjoy it most of the time as I'm not super duper in the field and it offers another way to contribute.
    I'm not sure an incentive program would work but I do think that a movement should be started to thank people for commanding at the end of a game. There was a certain amount of this in NS1 but it didn't seem to carry over. The closest thing you get to a thanks for jumping in the empty chair and winning a game is not being criticized incessantly.
    .tl:dr Be extra nice to comms and maybe others will follow.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited September 2013
    I've commanded maybe 15 or so pub games.

Had over 150 hours of gameplay before my first attempt. Watched all the tutorial videos first, knew what I was doing, and had practiced in training mode.

Made the decision to NEVER command again for a few reasons.

1) No matter the reason, when you lose everyone blames the commander. You can get upgrades asap, call out enemy positions, and literally do everything PERFECT... yet when your team sucks they blame you.

2) Very few people want to actually LISTEN to the commander. They ignore resource points that are being hit, then complain that our upgrades aren't coming fast enough when we only have 1 or 2 RT's. "they're taking nano, EVERYONE to nano" = 1-2 people go to nano while everyone else continues camping their ambush spots.

3) When the game passes the point of no return (like when the enemy team holds the entire map) there's no reason to command anymore, so I'd hop out and add my vote to concede. Only to end up being harassed for "giving up way too early" - When your team can't even hold a 2nd resource point, there's no chance of victory.

So basically it's all down to the facts that the team rarely listens, always blames the commander for the loss, and is very verbally abusive. I actually feel sorry, and have a bit of respect for the people who put up with all the BS in order to command.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I communicate so much as a commander that I blot out what most other people say so I tend not to get people complaining or talking much, I'm the guy relaying most of the information. I consider myself a good pub comm, I readily accept the role and I very rarely get abuse. I tend to be remembered more on the servers I frequently play on due to me marine commanding quite well. I am noticing less and less commanders lately and it's a problem to the point where I'm forced to hop into that chair in the majority of my games.

I tend to only get irritated with commanders when they are slow at dropping structures and don't med when I request. Luckily these are in the minority in normal play but the majority of commanders only know the tech tree, they don't know the intricacies of what makes a commander so important. A lot seem to miss that communication is critical especially as marine comm but I guess many of these players are forced to comm because nobody else will or they are learning. I love commanders that show a willingness to learn, those that ask for help but the commanders I hate the most are ones that simply contribute nothing but dropping structures and research, never communicating or supporting their team directly.

However, a commander is only as good as his team allows him to be. If I find people complaining that we don't have upgrades then I tend to reference lack of RTs or a different tech choice.

It's not an easy problem to fix tbh. I think a badge mod would be nice if you are recognised as a player who accepts commander frequently and efficiently on certain servers but an official method seems difficult.

I would like to see servers that have specific requirements for commanding. Servers ranging from complete newb to frequent and experienced comm. If you try to command without experience on some servers, you should be ejected. It's harsh but at least it gives people some indication of what to expect on a server.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I never ENJOY alien khammanding since 252, but I do it when the next best person or willing person is a "well I guess I can try to figure it out as I go." Those are really only situations I'll comm anymore, avoiding total disaster for my team I guess, but not the role I wanna be playing anymore. I guess I just feel limited to what I can do compared to what I used to be able to do (Tech tree). Rine comm, I'll do, but the fun just seems to have been taken out of the equation for me somewhere.

I dont think any incentives are needed, and imo would be to absolutely ridiculous to be awarded a skin/badge just for comming a game. Would introduce ten times more bugs than it'd be worth I imagine.

Anyways, I didnt even feel comfortable comming til I had somethin like 200 hrs in-game. I imagine I'm not the only one who was so reluctant to comm at first.

• GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah my problem is less with noobs and more with the back seat comms. If I tell you we are pushing Cargo not Nano, then we are pushing cargo NOT Nano. You pushing Nano by yourself or worse with the 1 or 2 other guys who agree with you only makes the bigger push suffer. The worst is when no one was willing to jump into the chair for 5 minutes before the match started. Then as soon as it starts they have all the answers and are directly opposed to whatever direction you are taking the game.

But honestly, this is what makes commanding SO much fun in pub games. It really is about establishing confidence and trust with your team, and truly leading. It is scary and intimidating and it does take on more responsibility for the winning or losing. But that is where I get a lot of the fun.

All this talk about the lack of upgrade paths means you aren't commanding, is kind of ridiculous. The person deciding what equipment is available is the Quarter Master not the Commander, if that is the only aspect you are looking at, you are playing the game wrong. Yes, it is a res game, yes an army runs on it's stomach, and yes the Commander needs to deal with supply lines. But Commanding is about managing resources AND people, the latter of which is always going to be the hardest.
  • TzimisceTzimisce Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58437Members
    Requiring 2 commanders per game instead of 1 is horrible, was tough enough to get good comms in NS1. I wish UWE would have just ported NS1 to a new engine and then started to gradually develop new things from that.

Khammanding just doesn't seem right for this game.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I tend not to comm because im better on the field, so unless I know I've got 2-3 good shooters, im not hopping in the seat because my team needs me more outside of it.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some thoughts:
    • Some commanders don't have a mic, or simply don't like talking online. If you ignore those, you lose a lot of potential commanders. Also, in pub games (at least in the EU), language barriers are still present. The game could help here by providing better UI tools to communicate without language. For example, commander markers like "attack here", "gather here", "defend here", "need a gorge here", "need a tunnel from here to here" could help a lot. The players could see them in-game and on the map, or as some kind of objectives list. The Alien map markers ("expanding here", "threat", ...) are a start, but they do not communicate what the players should *do* there.
    • Obviously, the whining and undue commander blaming is a turn-off. Experienced comms will shrug it off because they know they did ok, but new comms receive bad feedback even when they were doing fine. The "be a mediator" advice mentioned above is good... players should step up for the commander if he/she is being flamed.
    • The PRes penalty for jumping out of the hive is not helping either. I'm aware that this was added to fix a perceived problem, but it creates a new one instead: it penalizes creative, skillful play, while it should be just the other way around.
    • Alien Commander: Drifters are too expensive to use them offensively - either make them cheaper, or give them cloak again.
    • Alien Commander: Almost no tech priorization (just single lifeform unlocks), which removes too many options. My suggestion would be a cheaper lifeform unlock, and then you research the abilities for that lifeform individually. The total cost per lifeform should be similar to now, maybe a bit higher as you can skip and reorder then (which is a buff).
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited September 2013
    Got to love those people who still demand upgrades because they think they would help them to turn a match around against a hopelessly stacked team that took down any primary base RT you ever dropped because your team can't defend it.
    And once the round is over, you get a "shit com" from them in chat.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Got to love those people who still demand upgrades because they think they would help them to turn a match around against a hopelessly stacked team that took down any primary base RT you ever dropped because your team can't defend it.
    And once the round is over, you get a "shit com" from them in chat.

I have 1 question, and depending on how you answer it i think you are a %%# com or not...

Instead of getting upgrades did you build turrets, recycle, or sit on res?

If you do not get upgrades because you have NO res thats fine. If you do not get upgrades for any other reason, your a piece of shit. This is a team game, especially in a PUB where people are here to have fun, upgrades help people kill thing and people like to kill things...