Marine turtle and how to flip it over

Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
I loathe marine turtling both as a marine or kharaa. You know that you're trapped and that it's over when the aliens get their ducks in a row and attack the power node. So, I think there has to be some way for marines to force themselves through aliens, but with a cost. My idea of that extra force is disposable exos.
These exos can be researched by commander and only he can give them to marines. With a low price! But there's a caveat. Every given "Wal-Mart exo" reduces comm chair's max hp/armor by set percentage so you can't let all marines to saddle up. Maybe 2 or 3 or even 4 if you're a raving lunatic with a death wish. If too many marines go ride these rusty, clanky exos, then 2 or maybe 1 gorge can finish off your comfy comm chair in a heart beat.
There's also another thing to consider. If you make these exos, when there's more than 1 comm chair, those chairs lose DRASTICALLY higher chunk of their max hp/armor and the exos will have proportionally less hp. Because space science.
These exos behave like regular exos, except that they last only 5 minutes and then they go boom! Even more annoying thing is that they start to take heavy damage after 20 seconds when they are spawned in the same room with a comm chair. These exos can't stay near comm chair or even in the same room with said comm chair. Space science. Side-effect of this is that you can't turtle with these things. And because this commander ability has a long (10 minutes?) downtime, you want to make it count. It's also possible for marines, who ride these things, to blow up their exos so that comm chair gets it's vigor back if things goes bad in marine base. Or maybe commander could blow them up? With a few seconds timer. That would be evil.
Of course these exos are differently colored than normal exos so aliens know when to mass rush the marine base and blow up the oddly sparkling and humming comm chair.
I think that this kind of feature would give more options for both marines and kharaa, but what do you think?

Comments

• wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    I don't have many problems vs turtles as Alien.

I keep gorging, babbling up and Bilebomb suicide rushing.
    Most of the times, I cause more damage than they can fix, and I will eventually take down important structures.

Once, in a 24 or 32 server, I managed to take out 4 full IPs in a single rush.
    Some marines started complaining about "Commander recycling the stuff!!!" :D
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    What about when you are turtling as marine?
    I have many experiences of long drawn marine turtles and it's so boring that I vote to concede. When I'm on winning side.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Marines should have 1 nuke they use in the game to take out a section of the map and it has some lingering radio activity affecting aliens so marines can pull their pants up a bit and march on... or just wait until next round and try, try again :)
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    Sounds way too overpowered. And it doesn't really give much chance for aliens :I
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Marines turtling?

Currently it's really easy (easier than it HAS been) for marines to save up for exos by turtling on 1/2 RTs. I've seen many turtles magically emit exo trains that squish 3 hives faster than they can be redropped.

However this is usually to the fault of the alien team for not getting 9 biomass and using the contamination abillity, which allows the khamm to echo structures (WHIPS) straight into the marine base. easypeasy.

I like where turtling is at the moment. Marines have a good chance of comeback given enough time, and aliens have a proper tool to help them break turtles.