Alt+Tab Crash

Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited September 2013 in Technical Support
When queing for a full server instead of waiting for the que at that screen I like to alt tab out and do other things while waiting, however over half the time I do it, when I tab back in my game has frozen and crashed. My settings are maxed out and I have no crashes in game. I haven't crashed alt tabing while in game (atleast not yet) so it seems to only happen when I'm at server/main menu.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    DX11, fullscreen windowed. There is a memory leak in this mode, to see what I mean, alt tab then look at the NS2.exe process in the task manager for 10s or so. Eventually it crashes. Switch back to DX9 and it'll be fine.

EDIT: Also vsync is bad :3
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah that was the problem. With D9 no crash yet.

So I should turn off vsync? Not sure what it does.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Removes screen tearing (I've actually never noticed any in NS2) but gives you input delay unfortunately. Which isn't worth it IMO, input delay sucks.
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Roger, thanks for your help and advice! It will be used :)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Moving to Tech Support.
    This problem seems to be fixed in 256... can anyone else confirm?
  • EDVurdEDVurd Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    256 seemed to break alt-tab for me. If alt-tabbing with D3D 11 I came back to a crash, and so I switched to D3D 9 as discussed above and it seemed to work. However, i just tested again for a longer period of time and I came back to a super blurry and dark screen. I haven't been able to recreate that though. Now, it takes a bit longer for the textures to actually render.

I am running x1080 maxed everything, vsync off, fullscreen mode, Win7x64
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Alt-tabbing in fullscreen has always caused problems in NS2 of varying severity.
    Not for me, it always worked quickly and flawlessly. I see that 257 has now been posted, time to see what they changed.
    edited September 2013
    EDVurd wrote: »
    256 seemed to break alt-tab for me. If alt-tabbing with D3D 11 I came back to a crash, and so I switched to D3D 9 as discussed above and it seemed to work. However, i just tested again for a longer period of time and I came back to a super blurry and dark screen. I haven't been able to recreate that though. Now, it takes a bit longer for the textures to actually render.

I am running x1080 maxed everything, vsync off, fullscreen mode, Win7x64

Odd, I have the exact same settings except its flawlessly running. I just tested fullscreen windowed and thats not crashing for me anymore either.

I have Geforce GTX 770... I also have Physx GPU Accelerator turned on. Should it be on or off? Not sure what it does for me.
    I have Physx turned on, but it seems like 257 fixed the alt-tab issue with D3D 11, so I'm back on that.
    I've noticed that it now causes VLC to crash if I alt-tab while having a movie paused in VLC. I also just upgraded to newest nvidia 327.23 drivers, so not sure if that would be the issue.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Try not to run anything other than NS2.. its resource intensive.. far more than most games i know.
    And VLC has the ability to utilize your GPU too, iirc.. which could explain why.
    Nah, this is completely update specific. Yes, could be related to the nvidia driver update, but there were far less problems prior to 256.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yea many rendering changes have occurred lately.
    But i still stand by my original statement regarding running NS2 only, given it's penchant for consuming resources and it's inability to play nice with overlays. (mumble, msi afterburner, some AV)