What happened to the ability for Marine commanders to drop exos?

DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I think the ability disappeared in reinforced.

At first i thought UWE balanced it out more by making Marines get 3 bases and research everything first but i've done that and still nothing.

Anyone know anything?

If it's been taken out completely i think that's just silly as the Alien commander can still drop Onus eggs are usual.

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Not enough room in the menu. (lol)
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe it have something to do with that you now can upgrade to Dual Exo after buying your single exo. Never have the commander been able to drop dual exo.
    But you are right, alien commander can still drop Onos eggs and they can simply use their own res to get upgrades.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Onos eggs are only available on Biomass 9 and cost 100 tres. Exos were available on a single tech point and cost 40 tres.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    that's a weird one, especially because you can effectively achieve the same through spending TRES on gear for one guy so he can save up PRES for an exo in a similar period of time.

it sort of makes sense though... maybe to make exo's more 'irreplacable' - so that marines have something as costly to lose as a fade/lerk etc. as lategame marines are far more formidable than skulks and can simply recycle a lot of dropped weapon PRES.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A commander can hit the beacon button, get out of the chair and into an exo just in time to teleport. Could have been to prevent that from happening.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited September 2013
    There is room on the menu, where it's always been, there's now an empty slot.

They should never of adjusted becon to becon back exos anyway, was a silly change that made the game play more noobish plus they could easily put a stop on the commander entering an exo within the time period he isn't allowed res.

The last decent gameplay build to me was 249, everything since then has been not well thought out in my opinion.

They should introduce a marine upgrade system smilar to Alien biomass or remove the onus egg drop ability to be fair to both teams.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    biomass 9 for fades and onos now, cant get much more "fair" than that, and as stated with the way you get exos now, buy single 1st then upgrade to dual, if the marine commander can still drop exo's, then marines could get dual exos for 20 pres saving them 40 (meaning they could do this another 2 times)

Beacon is much better now as you can beacon back your exo's if you think there gonna die or not make it, repair them and push back out, this also giving aliens time to regroup and defend.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A marine upgrade system similar to Biomass? You mean like the armor upgrades on the arms lab?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    They should never of adjusted becon to becon back exos anyway, was a silly change that made the game play more noobish

Better to leave it so when you beacon your exo guy can jump out and build a PG right?
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    A marine upgrade system similar to Biomass? You mean like the armor upgrades on the arms lab?

Maybe, if they tied each upgrade to a tech point and caused you to lose all time and res investment towards the upgrade when you lost the appropriate building.

I've already made the suggestion. Arms lab would work similar to spurs/shells/veils. You build a maximum of 1 lab per chair and when it's complete you get 1 additional level of weapons and armor. When the lab is destroyed you lose the level that came with it, so 2 labs is w2a2. One of the nice things about it is you can choose where to build your arms lab so it's not necessarily tied to the chair once built. 60 res to build, equivalent to arms lab + a1/w1 as well as a2/w2 without the arms lab itself.
    sotanaht wrote: »

Maybe, if they tied each upgrade to a tech point and caused you to lose all time and res investment towards the upgrade when you lost the appropriate building.

I've already made the suggestion. Arms lab would work similar to spurs/shells/veils. You build a maximum of 1 lab per chair and when it's complete you get 1 additional level of weapons and armor. When the lab is destroyed you lose the level that came with it, so 2 labs is w2a2. One of the nice things about it is you can choose where to build your arms lab so it's not necessarily tied to the chair once built. 60 res to build, equivalent to arms lab + a1/w1 as well as a2/w2 without the arms lab itself.

I believe Sewlek already tested the idea of tying arms lab upgrades to the number of chairs in the BT, but the idea was abandoned after some testing.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    A commander can hit the beacon button, get out of the chair and into an exo just in time to teleport. Could have been to prevent that from happening.
    Why would they want to stop that? Those kind of shenanigans are what make beaconing such a high octane adventure
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Draptor wrote: »

I think comms should be able to do that... it will either be a good decision or bad depending on what's going on at the time. As long as it is always a gamble it seems fair.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    They should never of adjusted becon to becon back exos anyway, was a silly change that made the game play more noobish

Better to leave it so when you beacon your exo guy can jump out and build a PG right?

Well, if marines that exited exos only had axes then it'd be possible but not realistic to do. I used to quite enjoy the scurry b2b to kill any lonesome exos after a beacon.

And I just realised, since we've been able to exit exosuits I've not once even felt the need to, or seen anyone else do it...
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    edited September 2013
    I've never thought to ask, but I assume the old commander dropped exo suit couldn't be damaged by aliens, right? Edit:just dawned on me that surely bile corroded them after the bile weapon addition but w/e.

So does the suit currently take damage if nobody is in it? Surely it wouldn't be as easy to preserve a suit just by getting out in time, but it would be hilarious to see.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Yes, they can be attacked when you're not in them. They actually die quite quickly. Catching a marine as they get in or out of an exo is a very, very easy way to make them rather upset to boot. :D
    edited September 2013
    sotanaht wrote: »

Nice, i like it, makes the teams fairer and gives the marine commander more to do.
    And I just realised, since we've been able to exit exosuits I've not once even felt the need to, or seen anyone else do it...

Reinforced introduced it and i've never seen anyone eject either.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I eject all the time.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I eject all the time.

I bet you do... ;):)

I just had too. Sorry.

I've used the eject function plenty of times. One time my commander told me to go to central in an exo and the only guy who went with me died. So i needed to eject in order to build the power and the PG. Of course as I was doing this an onos, gorge and skulk came into central and destroyed the exosuit, then chased me down for good measure. Yay pub teamwork
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you're stranded somewhere as an Exo I think you're usually better off trying to make it back to base than ejecting and hoping to be left alone long enough to build stuff. I figure it's mainly useful for trading exos, or "oh crap there's no one left to repair the power" situations.