Build 256: the one where aliens forgot to play as a team....

RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
<rant>
Just come off literally 6 servers on the bounce where marines completely owned the entire game purely because no one on alien team wanted to work together.
To the extent that on the last game 3 skulks were camping bamboo pass on bio while the marine team just locked down exchange restricting the alien team to 1 hive.
</rant>

Had to vent, sorry.

Comments

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is not a new development. People in pubs just don't work together. Sad but true
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    It's not usually this bad though :(
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This problem cant be fixed with a patch or update, it is entirely down to the players if they want to work as a team or not. same with any team based game really, you will always have those who don't want to or those who need guidance (usually from players or commanders with mics who can plan attacks and organise the team). Some games are great with team play regardless of which team they are on where as some can be terrible, that's just pub play for you.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Any time we have a news post about a new build I see more green names on the servers. I'm not surprised to see a lack of coordination or game knowledge in general to be honest.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is not a new development. People in pubs just don't work together. Sad but true

Meh, once every blue moon you get a pretty solid team but yeah it is pretty rare at times.
    I'm sorta used to it these days. It's not exactly NS2 either, try playing some BF3 on rush and you'll see how many people just don't play the fracking objective. Despite the whole screen flashing up with big attack markers and sound cue's.

I'ts usually not the lack of experience nor the lack of IQ on the player. For some reason some people can't get behind the logic of team-play in games.
    Simple logic like: Hive is dying > protect or die. Only to see them camping in some corner to not lose their life form, despite losing it anyway if the hive falls.

My guess is, players these days are more egocentric in general and simply play to have their own kind of fun.

Is it me or did gaming used to have more team-work online? Could be that I see gaming 10 years ago more rose colored then it really was. I really can't remember getting frustrated in games as much back then.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The other night I had an awesome team on a pub in mineshaft... I sort of became the unofficial field comm, and everyone was listening. We just relentlessly hit marine RTs, completely starving them and taking the rest of the map. Felt good.

But yeah, most of the time there's lots of derping that goes down
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ooh absolutely! That's the reason I still play this game. Those rare but awesome games are quite a thing when they happen. Any other game on the market doesn't even hold a candle to it.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well I got some good news for you: build 257 is up so you don't have to play b256 anymore!
    NedStar wrote: »
    Is it me or did gaming used to have more team-work online? Could be that I see gaming 10 years ago more rose colored then it really was. I really can't remember getting frustrated in games as much back then.

I'm pretty sure it's you. I wouldn't exactly call Quake or Unreal Tournament "teamwork heavy" games. I can't remember any games requiring any teamwork AT ALL before NS1, Enemy Territory and I guess Tribes 2 (never played that one).

Okay you said 10 years ago so I guess those are the games you are referring to. Then again, what teamwork based games do we even have now except NS2 and maybe Planetside 2? And Versus in Left 4 Dead. :) Battlefield is too big for that, I'm pretty sure it's just "COD with tanks" for most of the playerbase.

If we look at other games besides FPS's I'd say there's a lot more teamwork happening (and actually required) these days with all the MMOs and MOBAs etc.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    People in pubs never worked together, less then half of them communicate.

But the problem of the recent marine dominance is the retarded strafe jumping that is still in the game. After setting up the ambush, closing in to bite, while dodging the bullets, the skulk is rewarded with an ugly, jumpy random mess, where he is once again disdvantaged, because he must land his bites in range and properly timed, while the marine does not, and his buddies will probably shoot you after you land your first bite while your target is merrily jumping around.

Wheeeee..... fun, no?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited September 2013
    Didn't you see the patch notes?
    Balance

Gorge Tunnels no longer require a research
    Added bias to Marines through applying subliminal suggestion to high skill ranked players
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I HAVE A PERFECT SOLUTION.
    Go get a party
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    Balance

Added bias to Marines through applying subliminal suggestion to high skill ranked players

I dont understand this.
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Try one of the tactical gamer servers. We focus on team work and coordination. I have see many skilled players loose to less skilled more coordinated team. We kick people if they dont listen or work together. We have more paitence with rookies than
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    coolitic wrote: »
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    Balance

I dont understand this.

Marines get dat K/D Yo
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rebel wrote: »
    <rant>
    Just come off literally 6 servers on the bounce where marines completely owned the entire game purely because no one on alien team wanted to work together.
    To the extent that on the last game 3 skulks were camping bamboo pass on bio while the marine team just locked down exchange restricting the alien team to 1 hive.
    </rant>

Had to vent, sorry.

Have you played since the Reinforced patch came out or is this your first time playing in the past few weeks? It's just much, much harder in general to win as aliens now. They require an arguably higher degree of teamwork than the marines do now.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    If aliens work together in pubs, marines can't win. Just had a nice long game as marine commander. We were controlling 3 TPs for the entire time, kept killing plenty of Lerks and Onos that tried to attack us and had nearly all the tech.
    And then aliens started to work together (aka more than one Gorge biling a base at once) and marines were pretty much screwed. :(
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kamamura wrote: »

But the problem of the recent marine dominance is the retarded strafe jumping that is still in the game. After setting up the ambush, closing in to bite, while dodging the bullets, the skulk is rewarded with an ugly, jumpy random mess, where he is once again disdvantaged, because he must land his bites in range and properly timed, while the marine does not, and his buddies will probably shoot you after you land your first bite while your target is merrily jumping around.

Wheeeee..... fun, no?

Please stop spamming about strafe jumping all over the forum... There's a huge ass post about it already. I personally don't understand the problem with strafe jumping as I currently have no problem killing even very experienced div 1&2 marines as a skulk. But either way you can post endlessly on the strafe jumping OP post but please stop bringing it up everywhere else you go.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have you played since the Reinforced patch came out or is this your first time playing in the past few weeks? It's just much, much harder in general to win as aliens now. They require an arguably higher degree of teamwork than the marines do now.

Nah... Marines need to cover each other while some are building. Marines need to keep a few players near phase gates while others attack. Marines depend more on the commander for med and ammo while pushing.

Aliens just need to speak to each other, where to meet up and when to attack together. This is not more teamplay than marines need. It is less. But aliens are used to rambo-style.

Like CrushaK says, if they work together (=attacking as a team) they are nearly not beatable.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Kamamura wrote: »

Wheeeee..... fun, no?

I once knew an autistic kid who's favourite thing was elevators. He was 100% obsessed with elevators. To the point where he would play the very start of super metroid where there's the elevator you can go up and down on. That's ALL he would play, just going up and down and loving the thrill of the elevator.

You remind me of that kid, but your favourite thing is complaining about not being able to kill marines.

• MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    NedStar wrote: »

It's not you. Gaming in general is more accessible; therefore more people play games. Back In The Day™, when gaming was more niche, and games like NS and TF were alive and vibrant, you had to know a bit more about your computer to install mods and such. This served as a sort of filter that kept the more inept people away. Additionally, Kids Today™ are more entitled. You see a whole lot more of "It's my game I paid for it! I'll play how I want!" Couple that with the fact that Internet Gaming is much more widespread than it was, and companies hosting servers (rather than a much more admined environment of someone's privately hosted server run out of their house/job which was more the norm Back In The Day™) and you get what we have today.

/me gets back on his rocking chair on the porch and yells at kids on his lawn
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Honestly, I miss the independent gameplay for the Aliens (NS1). All you needed was someone to save for the hive, a couple of Fades, and maybe a Lerk depending how your early game was going. It was much more pub friendly. I wish they would have kept both teams more unique as it used to be.