Marines are weaker than Aliens

2»

Comments

• CaptivaCaptiva Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187588Members
    Vision305 wrote: »
    Aliens do gather resources faster. However a marine can beat a skulk one on one even if the skulk ambushes the marine from the back. Not sure why armor doesnt repair at the buildings this is really stupid imo. I think it should. However, I do not like that marines can just jump into oblivion when a skulk bites them once on the back and spin in the air and then kill the skulk who just wasted 5 minutes sneaking up to the marine. This makes no sense to me. But you know how this works.... Marines cry that aliens are stronger and then when a serious issue is brought up that bunny hopping is ruining the game the developers just ignore it as if it were just more babies crying about balance.

Marines vs Skulk is broken! FIX IT!!!!!!

How and Why would you waste 5 minutes sneaking up on a marine?

I do not believe every alien should be able to kill a marine fast.
    People are just worried about stats.

Most marines in most games I play do not have shotguns or jet packs... If they do get them they die and lose them.
    If you are talking about the very few and far between masters of shotguns and jet packs then sure they can be hard to kill.

Skulks should have to work in packs to get easier kills, otherwise they should die.

If I do not have a skulk biting my ankles then I have a lurk dropping gas on me and machine gunning me from across the map while I get bile bombed and then trampled by an Onos.

Aliens are OP and complaining about marines jumping is silly to me.

• AddedAdded Join Date: 2013-03-20 Member: 184098Members
    MoFo wrote: »
    "Added wrote: »
    5. The dreaded server browser: Yet another common denominator between these games; the server browser is a MASSIVE problem for games of this type, as they confuse new players, frustrate experienced players (who prefer a specific server or game mode) and they don't serve any purpose beyond giving players a choice of server location/type/size. I've seen it work in DotA style games and I have been convinced that matchmaking (with party-play functionality) is the way to go. This is because most of the issues these games have is when players spend half their time switching between servers on the browser list, trying to find a game that isn't mid-way through or has just ended (at which point the players leave). Matchmaking is simply BETTER for this formula, given the ability to select filters and preferences, dynamically creating games is better because matches will start faster (little to no warmup time).

Sorry but hell the **** NO!!! The server browser and player rented servers is one of the BEST things about this game. If this game had launched with that matchmaking garbage, it would have already died off long ago.

There is absolutely NOTHING good about removing control and choice from the player and placing us at the COMPLETE MERCY of a computer algorithm.

Matchmaking is a horribly broken system at the very core, was designed for consoles that couldn't handle servers with browsers, and should be abolished as soon as possible. (especially since the next-gen consoles can handle servers and browsers)

Every game I have that has matchmaking is virtually unplayable.

Modern Warfare 2
    Modern Warfare 3
    Black Ops 2
    Ghost Recon Future Soldier
    Ghost Recon Online
    Farcry 3
    Splinter Cell Conviction
    Splinter Cell Blacklist

Taking control away from the player and that element of choice is one of the main problems with games like this, the idea that you can just jump in and out of any game server is certainly attractive, but on the larger scale it completely messes with games due to how fast players leave/join. Due to how hybrid games are paced (it has a very DotA style objective), masses of players joining and leaving really screws with games. This is especially noticeable when you have large servers which suddenly fill up and empty between map switches.

It's not that big a deal, but it's a problem I have noted in HYBRID games, I was not comparing NS2 to a game of MW3 or BF3 because they aren't remotely similar. Just because a game has guns doesn't make it an FPS.

Hybrid games are incredibly fun but the problem that each has is it's implementation; that is the developers don't think about how things will work down the road, they get the concept right (usually spot on) but the way the game is implemented is usually terrible.

Systems and functionality need to be in place to manage issues that arise from merging genres into a single game, you can't just have a hybrid game with RTS/MOBA/RPG/FPS elements and all be included in the implementation of an FPS game.

I've been playing hybrid games for years and they are by far my favourite type of game (Smite is closing that MOBA gap to 3rd person action, but it's a long ways off), but this is a constant pattern I've seen in all hybrid games. You either tackle these problems and create a game that is unmatched and truly unique (which is basically what MOBA's are) or you watch your game slowly die, no matter how much you struggle to stop it.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    MoFo wrote: »
    Mar wrecking everything. - That already gives them a HUGE advantage... Aliens can only get 1/3 of their upgrades with 1 tech point.

Shotgun Marines are able to one shot Skulks, Gorges, and Lerks far too easily. No Alien life form can one hit kill a Marine under ANY circumstances. Only 2 shotgun hits to kill an upgraded Fade (55 p.res) - Give them a Jetpack and they become stupidly hard to kill to kill. It usually takes a good Lerk or Skulk with leap to take them down, and even then it's a struggle.

And on the flipside, a fade can sit right in front of an lmg Marine and tank enough damage to kill him. Res investments are pretty strong.

Also, don't fades have a new ability now?
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    There is absolutely NOTHING good about removing control and choice from the player and placing us at the COMPLETE MERCY of a computer algorithm.
    Good things about matchmaking:
    - players are arranged by skill level (which means player descisions often have a larger effect on their game)
    - you all start and stop a game at the same time (players have a larger investment in winning and doing well, gap between play well, getting upgrades, and winning the game is shortened)
    - matchmaking allows for smaller teams which means easier/better teamwork and cooperation.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited September 2013
    Radman wrote: »
    And on the flipside, a fade can sit right in front of an lmg Marine and tank enough damage to kill him. Res investments are pretty strong.

Also, don't fades have a new ability now?

They might be able to do that IF the Marine stands still and lets the Fade hit him. With the new insane strafe jump I've seen LMG Marines solo Fades and win.

Also the new Vortex ability is a joke. It basically takes the Fade out of the game. Earlier today I was playing on Marines and this one guy playing Fade was wrecking us all game. - Then he got Vortex and didn't get a single kill after that point. My team ended up ignoring him entirely and focusing on other Aliens.

I think the Fade should teleport the Marine he hit with him to his Vortex point. They would still need to get another 1-2 hits in for the kill, giving the Marine a chance to survive and kill them (especially since the Fade usually has low health at that point) - would certainly make the ability interesting... though it might need to be moved to biomass 9.
    Radman wrote: »
    Good things about matchmaking:
    1) players are arranged by skill level (which means player descisions often have a larger effect on their game)
    2) you all start and stop a game at the same time (players have a larger investment in winning and doing well, gap between play well, getting upgrades, and winning the game is shortened)
    3) matchmaking allows for smaller teams which means easier/better teamwork and cooperation.

1) May sound good in paper, but often things like lag/connection are not taken into account. There is no matchmaking system that can successfully match people evenly based on skill, (especially when a party system is included) the teams are almost always unbalanced.

2) In what reality? The flaws of matchmaking actually lead to many players quitting early to mid game. It's extremely rare under matchmaking systems to end a game with the same group of players you started with.

3) Matchmaking does not "allow" for smaller games. It actually "prevents" larger games. There are plenty of servers in the browser that run with 12-16 players that someone can join if they want a small game. Most of us prefer larger games and don't want to be restricted, why should we be forced to play the way YOU like?

• Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
    The marine vs the skulk is broken combat. This needs to be fixed. It look bad and is frustrating for any skulk player.
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited September 2013
    I'm sorry but there is nothing more frustrating than fighting a jetpacker with the new fade. Before I could tap blink and have the momentum carry me a fair distance into the air, allowing me to keep celerity and conserve energy. Now it feels like I have to get adrenaline, hold down blink, and chase the marine because as soon as I stop blinking I drop like a stone. Not to mention the new jetpack allows the marine far more maneuverability.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    dePARA wrote: »
    Rookie coms
    - didnt drop ammo and meds
    - doing the wrong upgrades
    - wasting res on turrets

Rookie marines
    - didnt use theyr maps to defend stuff
    - have no aim and positioning

Thats why marines losing.

It's the same problem on aliens. Rookie coms don't expand quickly enough, don't use their res, don't invest their res meaningfully, aliens who have no aim and movement.

However, noob v noob, this game is VERY alien-sided, hands down. A lot of the time, all it takes is one mistake for marines to lose. Something like a base rush without a beacon, a phase gate with no people around it, etc. etc. and poof, game over. In addition, on aliens, you can still win if you half-ass it through lifeform-specific upgrades if you get crag and shift upgrades up + bile bomb. You can't half-ass it as marines without tight upgrades without too many mistakes and wasted res.

Oh, and arcs, GLs, and gorges test marine teamwork instantly, whereas on alien side you can just go gorge and bile rush from an exit which is unguarded. Bonus points for clueless marines not caring about that jumping thing that doesn't do much if any damage to them. Why should they care anyway? (speaking of which, maybe gorges bilebombing stuff needs to be made MUCH louder and more dramatic, like ARCs and the hive screaming or something. I think acid burning on buildings should be much louder, somehow more pronounced, and/or there should be a different alert for it: "Equipment Meltdown" "Acid Attack" "Meltdown Warning"... Something like that.). I think people really need the feedback that a gorge bilebombing is a "bad thing" (tm) - kind of like arcs or GLs are a "bad thing" and you get feedback from the visuals of the explosion and the loud sound of the arcs.

On the other hand, a team of marines who don't miss is mathematically impossible to defeat.

The place where both teams have a fairly equal chance to win is pretty high up, as far as overall skill goes. It's definitely not in the middle, if there was a curve. The curve would probably be exponential too. UWE has to keep it there so the "competitive scene" isn't a series of marines displaying large penile girth. As a results, pubs have to (mostly) suffer since the overall skill level there is much lower. It's my opinion that the game can't be "balanced" for both a "casual" and a "competitive" scene. So, like other "hardcore" games, the "casual" players will gradually leave (if they haven't already) and whoever's left will be at least above average performing stæmps on any noobs who try to enter later (see: cs, quake, UT to some extent series).