Why there are so many problems.

Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
Building a game is much like building a house, you build a strong foundation first then you build your house. Well the foundation is the alpha and beta in the game and then you build the game on top of it. The reason we’re having so many problems is because in the middle of building the game UWE decided to go back and change much of what they did in beta. So of course at that point the “house” or game is just going to cave in on itself and now the devs are having to patch every single little thing they broke.

Effectively this game will never be fixed and there will always be severe problems with it. In other words it like building a house without a foundation, it’s just always going to be leaking.

Comments

• aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    "Why are there so many problems?"

Because the house is caving in, duh!

Can you explain why "the house" (lol) is caving in though, cause I missed that part.

And before you reiterate no foundation... "Spark"
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited September 2013
    Why a house metaphor?

See, a house is like a guitar, its got its main body (the main body) and it has other stuff (the strings). when you use a really big, general problem (problems) they can be best explained by using the main body (the main body), but the string are also considered when you describe the whole thing (the whole issue, and the guitar).

And that's why it plays a funny tune.

EDIT: how bad do you think the problem is, leaking players or "caving in" aka literally unplayable?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's a very nice analogy, it's just too bad you didn't actually have anything of substance to say in your post.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited September 2013
    the only problem which makes me not want to play is just how 'deep' and difficult to learn it is... if you want to improve as a player then you can't really play casually/public - because about 95% of games are insanely low skilled and not challenging at all. (where CSGO and TF2 have quite a few servers which fill with mid level comp players and sometimes higher, giving you a good and rewarding challenge)

but that's only a problem for pub heroes like myself, who don't have time/desire for scrims/competitive play.

i'm dreaming about Elo ranking, Elo skill team-balancing and Elo matchmaking.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    So your saying there’s nothing wrong with this game and UWE is doing an awesome job? Then explain to me why there were 3 patches within a week after releasing reinforced just to fix the mistakes they made?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    Know pain wrote: »
    So your saying there’s nothing wrong with this game and UWE is doing an awesome job? Then explain to me why there were 3 patches within a week after releasing reinforced just to fix the mistakes they made?

Reinforced is like an expansion pack, for example SC2: Heart of the Swarm.

why have blizzard released patches since? omg SC2 is a house with a fubar foundation!
  • aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Know pain wrote: »

When remodeling a house, does everything always go according to plan?

/thread
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    the game is basically a non stop BETA

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    What's the point of this thread?
  • hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    It's because our love for UWE is like a truck.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like a broken game. The most awesome moments I've had was in early buggy builds!
    Hilarious things like a friend of mine managing to get stuck as a Gorge on every getaway run. Or the crazy ragdolls flying all over the place! :D
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    No one has ever made, or thought of making, a thread about the most recent patch/DLC marking the demise of NS2.

You are the first person ever to do this. I commend you.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Analogies are fine, but they all have one thing in common - they only go so far, because while they are similarities that made you chose a particular analogy, there must be differences for sure.

So let's try devising a counter-metaphor and say that making games is like blending whiskies. If you want a blend with a distinct, peaty punch, you may add some Islay stuff like Ardberd of Lagavulin, but if you end up with something too heavy for your targeted consumer group, you may mellow it out with some fruity, sweet Speyside whisky like Glenfiddich, or perhaps add some wheat stuff distilled in continuous stills. And if you overdo this time too, you can once again add some peatier stuff, and you can go on forever, until you have the perfect blend for your purposes, whose taste, aroma, complexity and price caters the needs of your customers the best.

The important thing is, until you run out of money or die of old age, you can go on and on and on with your blending iterations.

How about that?
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    NS2 are installing double glazing, putting in under-floor heating and are grouting the tiles in the bathroom for your bad analogy in the form of patch 256 right this minute. Perhaps you can wait to see how it performs before posting a sequel to this "Not another pointless whinge thread".
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This thread is perfect in every single regard, barring one...

... all of it.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Analogies are fine, but they all have one thing in common - they only go so far, because while they are similarities that made you chose a particular analogy, there must be differences for sure.

So let's try devising a counter-metaphor and say that making games is like blending whiskies. If you want a blend with a distinct, peaty punch, you may add some Islay stuff like Ardberd of Lagavulin, but if you end up with something too heavy for your targeted consumer group, you may mellow it out with some fruity, sweet Speyside whisky like Glenfiddich, or perhaps add some wheat stuff distilled in continuous stills. And if you overdo this time too, you can once again add some peatier stuff, and you can go on forever, until you have the perfect blend for your purposes, whose taste, aroma, complexity and price caters the needs of your customers the best.

The important thing is, until you run out of money or die of old age, you can go on and on and on with your blending iterations.

How about that?

But why would you ruin a perfectly good Ardbeg?! This is heresy! It's like a house that is caving in! Or Natural Selection 2 going F2P!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    What would - metaphorically spoken - happen to NS2, if we took that house, strapped a bazillion balloons to it, and flew to South America?
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    lagavulin is perfect as is.