Damage Not Registering Correctly

darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Before you flame saying this thread has been made. I still think this problem needs more spotlight. Blah Blah.

- Who TF are you?
Well, I play with a balls out gaming rig with 2 7970's and the works. 144hz monitor, 30~ ping. I'm a competitive gamer that's been in MLG comp events on Planetside2, 400+ hours in NS2, ect, ect. I'm that asshole with 120 kills to 0 deaths.

- The problem?
I've noticed after the last major patch that the damage registry is luck based even if you land a full clip into a skulk or are almost inside a marine as a skulk biting with no damage registering. When taking a further look back at the history of NS2, I found that this was a major issue around initial release. Something is borked harder than usual. I have averaged the marine rifle damage rate to 1 bullet per 3 register as damaging. As Skulk It's hit and miss, but manually hitting attack instead of holding seems to almost remove hit reg problems. Still, the bullets and bites always make contact and spill blood.

- What have you tested?
About every windows setting known to god. I have found that in my testing running torrents to artificially boost your ping(150+) as a skulk causes minor movements to be ignored and appear your going in a straight line. The direct opposite is true with marines. It removes skulks twitch movements and makes them easy targets and gives you a higher chance to receive no damage from bites. Triple buffer on increases tracking and greatly lowers skulk teleporting.

- So What Is causing it?
I find you get more hits registered by firing in burst and manually clicking each attack as a skulk. Making me think there's some kind of check that happens between client and server that gets lost or bugged when pressing the attack button and causes the hit registry to "skip".

I'm interested in the communities thoughts on this. As I find that it's not talked about enough. Like it's a known taboo we don't speak of.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Video with net_stats on please.
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Video with net_stats on please.

Online video players can't handle 144 FPS and you need the monitor to see it. Slow motion is possible. But I really Don't want a 60 gig 2 minute video uploading for the next 24 hours.

Same thing happening here.

- Thread
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/124826/hit-registration-problem-video-proof/p1

- Video

A dev even commented on looking into it. Guess that failed a year ago.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    I don't understand why you need 144 fps to see hit reg fails, just record a 30fps video in x264 format and upload it to youtube, if you really think fps is important record a 60fps video and upload it somewhere else for people to download it.

EDIT: That thread is from Nov 2012...
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I don't understand why you need 144 fps to see hit reg fails, just record a 30fps video in x264 format and upload it to youtube, if you really think fps is important record a 60fps video and upload it somewhere else for people to download it.

EDIT: That thread is from Nov 2012...

Yeah and it's still a problem. You not play comp? This isn't a new..

P.S
    I can tell you don't read everything

EDIT:
    I'll go ROFL stomp some pubs and get some footage for ya. Like seeing it's going to do something about it...
    edited September 2013
    I do play comp, and yes, seeing it will get stuff done, if you can get a video of hitreg failing when net_stats is visible, it will be looked into and fixed.

I haven't seen things like what's in that video in a long time, that's why I pointed out the thread date, it's likely that was fixed already.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    1. The LMG has a spread of 2-3 degrees, not sure exactly what it is
    2. The hitboxes are extremely tight, to the point where you can aim 1mm below the armpit of a skulk and it won't hit.

From the first 2 minutes I watched, most of the weird rego' problems I saw in your video is because your aiming on the edge of the skulk. You are missing a few by 1-2mm and the others are missing due to spread.

fyi: I get perfect rego on this game, but its sometimes appears as bad rego due to unforgiving tight hitboxes, LMG spread and extremely high interpolation.
    Like mf- I also get perfect rego these days, used to have a lot of issues, especially with pistol and shotgun, they seem to be fixed now (though sometimes sometimes 12 damage shotgun shots make me why D:). The only times I notice problems, I quickly check and see the server is down to 10 ticks.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    First person to produce actual HD video footage of hit reg issues wins with front page credit and a cookie.
    Net_stats must be on, and be prepared to give a downloadable link to the video so that it can be frame scrubbed.

(pssst.. use handbrake to make those 60 GB 1080p 60fps videos into a 40 MB 1080p 60fps h264 video.)
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    that super effective video. Voogru.com has mods UWE server does not? Mods have been known to cause problems...
    that super effective video. Voogru.com has mods UWE server does not? Mods have been known to cause problems...

What mods in particular? I would like to have a no argument, games broken, fix it video if possible. It's tough finding a non-modded server these days.

IronHorse wrote: »
    First person to produce actual HD video footage of hit reg issues wins with front page credit and a cookie.
    Net_stats must be on, and be prepared to give a downloadable link to the video so that it can be frame scrubbed.

(pssst.. use handbrake to make those 60 GB 1080p 60fps videos into a 40 MB 1080p 60fps h264 video.)

I want a 1980s picture of a troll on my armor.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Probably shooting in between the skulk legs.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The video is old.
    Hitreg was borked but got fixed ages ago.
    Servers that can't keep up the 30ticks are the main cause for hitreg problems now.
    How shall a server register a hit, when it can't keep up with the world updates and need to drop packets?
    Hitboxes are tight your hit maybe wasn't one.
    Humans search all kind of excuses for their own errors.
    Vid or it didn't happen.
  • niitzeniitze Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185839Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2013

- Who TF are you?
    Well, I play with a balls out gaming rig with 2 7970's and the works. 144hz monitor, 30~ ping. I'm a competitive gamer that's been in MLG comp events on Planetside2, 400+ hours in NS2, ect, ect. I'm that asshole with 120 kills to 0 deaths.

I'm interested in the communities thoughts on this.

EDIT:
    I'll go ROFL stomp some pubs and get some footage for ya. Like seeing it's going to do something about it...
    gFD5o.png
    edited September 2013
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    The video is old.
    Hitreg was borked but got fixed ages ago.
    Servers that can't keep up the 30ticks are the main cause for hitreg problems now.
    How shall a server register a hit, when it can't keep up with the world updates and need to drop packets?
    Hitboxes are tight your hit maybe wasn't one.
    Humans search all kind of excuses for their own errors.
    Vid or it didn't happen.

I just re-installed new fans on my second 7970 for steady 60 fps playback while hopefully keeping my 144~. Sound card is giving me grief again. The drivers are deprecated in 8.1 and cause a strange audio problem with voice input.

niitze wrote: »
    gFD5o.png

Shhh, no tears.
    Only dreams now.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Try to watch memory useage, with the current memory leak it seems as it becomes more the hitreg becomes worse
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Also keep in mind that the only thing that actually registers as a hit is the combat damage numbers. The rest are client side predicted
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    lol, MLG & planetside comp.

how does that even work, last I heard PS2 "comp" was 48v48.. how do they fly that many people out to the lan?
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    niitze wrote: »
    gFD5o.png

Shhh, no tears.
    Only dreams now.

@darkhunt333 :D
    I like the way you are dealing with 'off-topic' answers. You even gave niitze an "Awesome" badge.

Though sadly or more luckily I can't approve your hitreg problem. I was on the same server, where someone complained about Skulks taking to many shots, while I didn't recognize it. Though I have to say that I am not a competitive player, pub games only so far with some experience in a gather.

BTW: From what I know is that the blood from marines or aliens is just cosmetic and client based only! That means that a green or red blood splash doesn't mean you've actually hit your target. What actually counts as a hit is the drawn damage in figures! Everyone is invited to correct me if I am wrong.
    edited September 2013
    Who ever made Sony Vegas 12 deserves to go to burn at the stakes. Going to grab photoshop since I already know how to use it. I want the video to be "entertaining".

lol, MLG & planetside comp.

how does that even work, last I heard PS2 "comp" was 48v48.. how do they fly that many people out to the lan?

They don't, it was before the map for comp play was made. MLG would search for top clans and have them face off on one of the world maps. Giving objectives to each clan involved. I'll Have to find the video again, it's on the MLG twitch channel somewhere. It was really one sided, we held back half the clan near the end to make it interesting. I left after trying for 100 K/D and got 200-0 in a reaver in I think 36 minutes. Game lost its challenge.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
    What are you gonnah do with Photoshop, that ain't exactly a video editor. Or did you mean Premiere :P
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    I run a rig with similar specs as yours with a 144hz monitor. I hardly ever have reg issues anymore aside from the LOLinterp deaths but we already know about those.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    What are you gonnah do with Photoshop, that ain't exactly a video editor. Or did you mean Premiere :P

also, this^

• LastdonLastdon Join Date: 2012-06-29 Member: 153767Members
    It is not a problem with the client side code it is a problem with the server/net code. The problem has always been there and has never been fixed. People just say it isn't a problem due to how bad it use to be. Typically it is on servers that have not been reset for a couple of rounds. Funny to see the hitching on a ridiculous rig like yours. Makes me tingle inside to see how every step they move forward with this engine it goes 1.5 steps back.

Him using planet side 2 is a testament to how bad in comparison it really is. When I can do 50 on 50 battles and have no issues with prediction but a server that has been running for maybe a hour in NS2 has huge issues with a 8 v 8. Something is wrong and has been wrong.

I really shouldn't say a few servers either, it is on almost all servers. Unless they have been recently reset.
    edited September 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Premiere

This. Vegas was frustrating to say the least. For some reason it would skew the videos quality and brightness after finishing. All around painful UI IMO. I'm far from pro with any of this, but I know Premiere didn't grief me.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts

What mods in particular? I would like to have a no argument, games broken, fix it video if possible. It's tough finding a non-modded server these days.

IronHorse wrote: »

I want a 1980s picture of a troll on my armor.

Deal.
    And a free copy of the game.
    Go forth and provide!
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Besides issues with the current implementation, I'd say we need possiblities to adjust netcode settings client and server side. Seriously, I want a server that runs well for people with low ping, and not a home for players from other parts of the world. It can be seen that netcode is made in a way so that high ping players can still get a somewhat enjoyable game, but I don't see why we shouldn't force them to play on a low ping server in the first place.
    Seriously, I've played with artifical jumpy 200-500ms ping as marine when I was downloading a game in the background on steam, and people got so pissed by the "killed around the corner" thing it was incredible :P That marine favor makes alien incredibly annoying to play, because the time between hitfeedback and actually being hit is so massive, you just wind up dead most of the time, unless you have a high tier lifeform.

And for marines, well, there still seem to be issues with hits registering improperly, hits that 'should have' hit getting lost.

I also feel like models glitching into each other might be a cause too, because I've had it bunch of time that at point blank SUDDENLY all bullets miss (or god knows what is the cause of that issue).
    Lastdon wrote: »
    I really shouldn't say a few servers either, it is on almost all servers. Unless they have been recently reset.

I would not be suprirsed if this also has to something with the memory leaks. Because as for the client, it feels like my "personal hitreg" degrades over time as NS2 uses more memory, then when the game is restarted, it is all good again and it starts becoming worse. Might not be hitreg per se, but other issues like input lag or so (as the game also feels more "choppy" over time), I dont know.
    But considering servers suffer from memory leaks too, it might happen there as well, that it causes some issues.
  • Shr3dShr3d Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58265Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Before you flame saying this thread has been made. I still think this problem needs more spotlight. Blah Blah.

- Who TF are you?

- The problem?
    I've noticed after the last major patch that the damage registry is luck based even if you land a full clip into a skulk or are almost inside a marine as a skulk biting with no damage registering. When taking a further look back at the history of NS2, I found that this was a major issue around initial release. Something is borked harder than usual. I have averaged the marine rifle damage rate to 1 bullet per 3 register as damaging. As Skulk It's hit and miss, but manually hitting attack instead of holding seems to almost remove hit reg problems. Still, the bullets and bites always make contact and spill blood.

- What have you tested?
    About every windows setting known to god. I have found that in my testing running torrents to artificially boost your ping(150+) as a skulk causes minor movements to be ignored and appear your going in a straight line. The direct opposite is true with marines. It removes skulks twitch movements and makes them easy targets and gives you a higher chance to receive no damage from bites. Triple buffer on increases tracking and greatly lowers skulk teleporting.

- So What Is causing it?
    I find you get more hits registered by firing in burst and manually clicking each attack as a skulk. Making me think there's some kind of check that happens between client and server that gets lost or bugged when pressing the attack button and causes the hit registry to "skip".

I'm interested in the communities thoughts on this. As I find that it's not talked about enough. Like it's a known taboo we don't speak of.

It's like you made this thread to get everyone to know you can get a good KDR (cool story) and clearly haven't presented your point because you care about it, this thread seems to be more about your ability to fuel your ego in "pub stomping". If you're going to present an issue you're concerned with, nobody cares about your KDR and don't start a thread with "don't flame", obviously you have something flameworthy coming after that comment if you put it in there.
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited September 2013
    - So What Is causing it?

That is not a bug, and good players will manually click each attack. Reason for that is you lose track of your target if you go non stop attack. Burst firing is just a simple consequence of readjusting your aim.

I did try your method back in beta ( for instance firing LMG with mousewheel with different frequency of impulses) and i was in your exact same position as you one year ago. Until i recorded my shots with fraps and realized it was because i was losing target, not because of bugs. Firing slower which typically occurs when firing with mousewheel/manually click gives more time to stay on target.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Call me crazy--but I actually feel reg is the best it's been.

/shrugs

To each, his own.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    - The problem?
    Still, the bullets and bites always make contact and spill blood.
    This used to be quite prominent on higher ping servers around 300+. Almost like half your bullets seemed to disappear into a network void. It seems alot better than what it used to be now though. I don't have anything recorded to show this, so it's just anecdotal.
    - What have you tested?
    About every windows setting known to god. I have found that in my testing running torrents to artificially boost your ping(150+) as a skulk causes minor movements to be ignored and appear your going in a straight line.
    Well ofcourse. Utorrent is going to screw up the timings of your packets reaching the server. The server is obviously going to try it's best to predict the best path that you were taking given the limited, sporadic information that you are sending out. Running utorrent is like the absolute worst way of simulating true 'lag'.
    - So What Is causing it?
    These findings would suggest to me instead that you have trouble
    1) Tracking precisely the skulk model with perfect distance etc. LMG spread is 2.8 degrees i believe.

Most everyone with FPS experience has good snap aim. Div 1 players have about ~35-45% accuracy overall just as a benchmark. Sustained ~50% would make you one of the best NS2 players in the world, and anything higher is very highly suggestive of aimbot.

2) You havn't internalized exactly when the skulk bite checks for a hit. It sends the trace rays out as soon as you click (at the start of your bite animation). The animation + delay on normal damage indication is very misleading here. When you spam bite in melee, you are prone to miss (or think you have hit reg problems) with the marine animations doing strafes etc. at very fast relative speeds on your screen space.

There are also the micro collision problems that make it much more reliable to click bite manually.
    The best thing you can do is record gameplay, then go frame by frame afterward over suspicious events. Cut and edit is your best friend if you want to avoid long/huge videos. This is the only way to go about this issue constructively imo.

--
    The voogru footage you linked was entirely server specific to voogru servers at the time it was taken. It's no longer very relevant footage tbh.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    elodea, don't disagree with him man, he'll go 120-0 on you D: and then 200-0 on you in Planetside 2 D:::::::::::::::::::::::::