Different colored Squads in Maps/Easier Selection

BobdaBobBobdaBob Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188061Members
edited September 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
1. Each Squad has a Color (added: or colored Outline), on the Map *and* on the Scoreboard. Example : Squad 1 is Brown , 2 is Green 3 Purple etc.
Reason: Improved tactical Oversight for Squadmembers and Commanders

2. Commander can add and remove Squadmembers with Shift+number Click on the Name in the Scoreboard.This makes forming Teams far easier.
Reason: Easier and faster Management and Oversight for Commanders.

2a. (added)
Commander can dissolve the selected Squad with a Hotkey.
Reason: Better/faster User Interface when Squad no longer needed/helpful.

3. Show Icons for Equipment (Welder Exo Lifeform etc.) on Scoreboard.
Reason: see Number 2

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Although squads are great for the opening plays of a game, I guarantee you that the importance of squad formation etc essentially goes to complete shit as a match goes on and different players are suddenly needed to do different tasks from what you intended 30, 10 or 2 seconds prior!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I prefer numbered squads, that have different colors..

You're squad 5!
  • BobdaBobBobdaBob Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188061Members
    IeptBarakat:

One Purpose is to find and link up with your Squad on the Map . Numbers do not help with that. Also Squads would still be numbered.

Meatmachine:

Even later in the Game ,(efficient) Units are usually working in Groups.

On the other Hand a Hotkey to quickly dissolve the selected Squad would not hurt.Must add that to my first Post.

Now , where is that Edit Button?

• DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    All my yes, but it would probably only benefit the marine team.

I say it would have prolonged purpose into the latter stages of a game if it were meaningfully available to commanders. The commander could hand-pick X people to go and harass a hive, calling them "hey red gies" the entire time, yet everyone would know EXACTLY what the comm was talking about.

Imagine: each half of the marine team moves out in a different direction at game start. The commander band-box assigns each group to colours red and blue and as a result, spawning players just keep running back in the direction where they died until further changes are made by the comm. It's easy for everyone to understand what's going on.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @BobdaBob Search at the right top for a small gear. Click it, and select in the dropdown menu "edit".

I have to admit, I played with that idea some time ago. I would assign (at least, or on not so big servers) three squads: One defend squad, and two attack squads. And the defend squad's purpose is to defend bases and harvesters the entire time (mostly via pgs).
    The attack squads I'd use to harass/secure positions.

C:"Squad Alpha, secure deposit! Defense squad to main base!"
    Alpha leader:"On my way!"

8-)

Makes me think of squadleaders. If you could assign ppl you know/with mics as leaders, that could be helpful.

And I agree that it would mostly help Marines. I'd go as far and only implement it for marines.

Aaaand last but not least it could help to get ppl doing what you want them to do.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    And I agree that it would mostly help Marines. I'd go as far and only implement it for marines.

Aaaand last but not least it could help to get ppl doing what you want them to do.

Well aliens are part of a hivemind after all... It would only make sense if they had something similar and I definately agree with ways on helping to get people to do what you want. Though it seems like sometimes people deliberately ignore everything the commander says when called out by name.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Chikun wrote: »

Well aliens are part of a hivemind after all... It would only make sense if they had something similar and I definately agree with ways on helping to get people to do what you want. Though it seems like sometimes people deliberately ignore everything the commander says when called out by name.

Or called out somehow. Or given a move order.