Stalemates are NOT fun, but end up being the "normal"

13»

Comments

• VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    well i read all the posts, i still dont get it. the explanations dont make sense to me. hourlong back and forth games are the best games ever.
    and yes there are halfhour turtles, but just because players, and i do it too sometimes, just enjoy their higher lifeforms, everybody knows how to break a turtle, there is no other reason not to do it then just playing with your food. ;)
    as i said i dont get what the fuzz is about... probably never will. gl hf
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Radman wrote: »
    Teams have the skill to win the game, but not the skill and coordination to end it?

It's like someone complaining about a bug in the game, and addressing it like a l2p issue.

No they don't have the skill to win the game, because if it didn't end then they didn't win.

If the other team is turtling then you and your team in-fact do not have the coordination/skill to end the game with a final team attack
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    power nodes, the concede vote....even the tieing of tech to 2nd cc all steps taken by UWE to try to solve this issue.

sadly none have worked.
    pthe reason is that marines can access full tech on 1cc meaning they can hold off aliens as marines are all but full strength. Aliens on 1 hive dont get the same level playing field.

UWE need to limit weapons and armour upgrades when only 1cc is held...this will help massively.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That was true for pre-reinforced builds. Until now I didn't encountered real turtles that last longer than 10min. And even those were just because nobody on the alien team talked.
  • abluemanablueman Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188045Members
    edited September 2013
    In honesty I agree with Venatos, we all complain about unfair games, then you complain about a fair game where the teams are obviously evenly balanced. Whether thats because everyones a noob or everyones good it doesnt matter.

The best game I had was about 70 mins long, we looked like we were losing and the commander was talking about conceding we managed to get a key point on the map and turn it around against all odds, then they managed to gain ground back. It was an awesome fight. We won in the end and the fact that we did it against an obviously good team was much more satisfying than skulk rushing a bunch of noobs and winning in no time.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited September 2013
    A good team with crap comm will win, but a good team with a good com will win quickly.

Bothe rines and aliens coms have enough power to easily break a turtle (contamination,arc,wep drop,cat pack,drift abilities) If a game is lasting 30min+ and the other team is clearly loosing, eject your com and finish the game. I don't mean to sound mean, but sitting in 3 hives and 4 harvesters should be an instant win for any com who knows what he's doing.

In addition base trades are powerful tools, if you hold more res and more tech points, then created a backup main base. When the other team goes all in to destroy one base you take one from them, if you were prepared for this your team will hardly notice the loss but they won't be able to recover
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    A good team with crap comm will win, but a good team with a good com will win quickly.

Bothe rines and aliens coms have enough power to easily break a turtle (contamination,arc,wep drop,cat pack,drift abilities) If a game is lasting 30min+ and the other team is clearly loosing, eject your com and finish the game. I don't mean to sound mean, but sitting in 3 hives and 4 harvesters should be an instant win for any com who knows what he's doing.

In addition base trades are powerful tools, if you hold more res and more tech points, then created a backup main base. When the other team goes all in to destroy one base you take one from them, if you were prepared for this your team will hardly notice the loss but they won't be able to recover

Alien Standard Operating Procedure here. Reinforced solved the issue of marine turtling with more Khammander tools to use.

Remember, when all else fails, gorge rush with 1-2 onos. 50% of the time it works all the time.
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    I think the tools are in place to avoid long stalemates, and turtles, if desired. Usually there are one or two pivotal battles, or decisions by either team, that swing something in their favor.

I've also found that sometimes turtling, apart from just trolling the enemy lol, is actually fun. You can make up plenty of RPG-style narratives as to why these poor bastard TSF soldiers would be forced to fight an impossible, losing action in defense of a location. It makes it quite fun to take part in this desperate struggle ;) very sci-fi in itself, the heroic last stand of humanity against the onslaught of the alien horde. It's captured perfectly, and once in a great while, the marine team manages some brilliant tactical push and actually wins!
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    simba wrote: »
    A game where both teams are relatively well balanced, and it takes a long time for it to end? This is a complaint? What? I don't think this is a problem with the game, just the players that round for one side being unable to end it.
    Again, i'm not upset about hour long games that are neck and neck, dead even the entire time. Those are fun, and filled with action. The issue is when one team has already won, and has an issue being able to close out the game. Whether or not this is a "pub" issue or not, it's still a problem in my opinion. It gets to the point where players start leaving, or your team (that's winning) wants to vote to concede just to end it. Again, when a team owns 90% of the map, the game SHOULD be over, and it should be over quickly.

Eject com. If you own 90% of map, aka 4 hives or 4 CCs, ur Com should be building whips or arcs to end the game.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    The above is usually a problem with aliens, because marines have things like GLs which, when used defensively on high-population servers, often shut down both entrances to the final tech point quite effectively against anything but oni.

The solution is, again, teamwork. A lerk with umbra, then spores, a bile bombing gorge, a fade and/or an onos to cover the gorge, maybe + hallucinations.

Usually, the problem is that there's not a single player who even knows how to use spores or bile bomb effectively, or how to play fade or anything except run in as skulk->die->repeat. It's not the com's responsibility to "end" anything. Echoing whips against grenade launchers is a laughable waste of time - usually. If it's on the brink, yes it can help to distract marines for a coordinated push and hopefully an end to a game. But these games that people are talking about usually aren't.

I've been in quite a few games around sales when aliens have had everything except the final tech point and the game has lasted another 20 minutes at least - and most of the time I don't even play on green servers. I can't even imagine what it must be like there.

Then again, everything slowly returns "back to normal" a few weeks after a sale when the new people have either quit or become better on both marine and alien side.