Texturing w/ displacement tool???

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get decent results using the displacement tool. Geometry looks okay, but the textures are super stretched and awful looking!

Whoever made mineshaft seemed to get it figured out...

Comments

• Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    I don't think the displacement tool has ever really worked. I think what you see in mineshaft is just regular geometry, creating a mesh and just moving the vertices around.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ah okay. I was afraid of that. :(
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    The geo in mineshaft was indeed done with the displacement tool, but there are some rules and workarounds for some things with the displacement tool. I ended up making the most recent changes to mineshaft and sgt barlow was the original creator of the map. I cant, off the top of my head remember all the workarounds, but I do remember that you cant really use high angles, lights will noticeably highlight the polygons if you go beyond certain angles, so you want to gradually push the curve so it doesn't look bad. The displacement tools are very undeveloped and were mostly used on mineshaft, and at least in the immediate future I don't see them being worked on, but it may happen. If sgt barlow sees this maybe he can advise you on how to use it better, he helped me a bit when I did the changes to mineshaft, but I think ive purged those memories :P
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    You need to get a good idea in your head the correct size first, then texture it, then make it displacement. Doing it this way should keep your textures nice and not stretch them out. Once you create somthing with displacment ideally dont increase / decrease size as you cannot adjust the texture size well ! or at all in my case afterwards. Also if you do make each square bigger make sure you have texture lock off
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    I guess I can give it another shot, but the last time I tried it, the textures didn't just distort, they got stretched out to infinity, and the polygons involved couldn't be fixed individually (I set shiftx, shifty, to 0, sizex and size y to 1, and no change is visible)

Sgt Barlow Sgt Barlow Sgt Barlow (doesn't that make him appear?)
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    add me on steam ( _L_o_k_i_ ) and I can walk you through it
    Added you.

Also, I've done a little bit more tinkering, and it seems to work OKAY if I only work on coplanar faces at the same time (ie two polygons on the ground as opposed to one ground and one wall polygon). It's difficult however to displace a little bit at a time as the "brush strength" option only goes down to 1 (0 does nothing) and that's still ridiculously fast.

LOVE to hear from Sgt Barlow on this... he does still come to the forums right?