Reinforced Editor Bugs!

Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
edited August 2013 in Mapping
I thought some would of been fixed in the last quick update but the editor seems to have gotten worse with a crash on exit now.

• Biodome models appear black in thumbnails.
  • Skybox flickers white.
  • Extrude causes fps drop on camera move.
  • Sounds don't play.
  • Cinematics always play.
  • Crash on exit.
  • Builder doesn't auto generate overview.

Add any you've found to the list!

Comments

• JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited August 2013
    prop-thumbnails (= biodome models):
    its not only the biodome props, if you delete the image-editor-cache all generated prop images in the prop browser are black.
    (i did delete the ns2-cache to fix this problem for the biodome props... now its even bigger :D)

huge freezes (on big maps):
    currently i am working on a 110.000+ faces map... it freezes for 10-30 seconds really often if i move "something" a little bit.
    before the reinforement-update it was sometimes "slow", now it really freezes on big maps. btw: i only display the current working geometry (other parts are disabled by layers).
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    @joseppe I personally have split my map up in to 10 different sections to work on it then just copy and past in to one complete file to publish from. All maps seem to get like that when they get big as the editor is rendering your entire level even the game it self does not attempt to do that! (unless you don't have occusion geo)

I will report these errors on the bug list/tracker

As much information as you can possibly give will help!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    It's absurdly slow when you have a full map like that. And don't even mention autosave...FFS that is slow. At least they are trying to fix the render views stopping if your display resets like if you test a map.
  • jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
    The editor is to slow to do anything
    Nothing loads properly
    textures/props are black swatches....
    I was hoping for some awesome sdk editor improvements.

Specifically a better way to texture and make curved geo.
    Water
    fabric
    and a better more dynamic light system. (While lights are off the lights still stay very bright lit white)
    How come UWE has not commented on this post yet... I for sure thought if they totally broke the map editor they would say something to us... I have not been able to even open some of my maps since patch.... Feeling unloved by UWE atm.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
    It's not the first time and I guess they have loads of fixes to do related to the latest evolution of NS2. They can't spend too much time confirming or even commenting on all of them. I am sure they are aware of it and will do the necessary when they can.

edit. Though the few bugs, I haven't been having any problems with my workflow really. Just for reference, how big are the files you working with? On initial load, it might say that the editor is not responding but if you wait and give it its time it will load. Is that your problem?
    My program stops responding. and after 10 minutes crashes. if i try to place a prop my editor stops and crashes. textures mostly black.
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So..how are you supposed to create new levels right now, if all the thumbnails are black?

I recently had to re-install NS2 and just launched Spark. All thumbnails black :/

Won't allow me to do some proper level design right now.
  • KrozuKrozu Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154854Members
    You wait... until they patch it.
    That or play whack-a-mole with the props and hope you get lucky.
    OR download the cache from someone. I remember a download link to it somewhere on these forums. (note, the 'new' .255 thumbnails are going to be black, no matter what you do)
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    edited September 2013
    The editor issues are known, we had to finish Biodome with a few of these bugs hassling us. The black thumbnail bug got fixed for us earlier today - the rest will get fixed when one of the programmer lords become unstuckfrom more pressing tasks.

Brought to you by the dux Mapping PR Department.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Use displacement tool on some already textured faces, and do "build mesh geometry". Now undo back to before you did any displacement... now redo. TADA! Your textures are gone!
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited September 2013
    Ok so we can see the models now but most appear very low quality, to the point where you can't tell what many actually look like, seems to be mainly textures missing or low res, also skybox etc no change. :/
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Electr0 wrote: »
    Ok so we can see the models now but most appear very low quality, to the point where you can't tell what many actually look like, seems to be mainly textures missing or low res, also skybox etc no change. :/

This! It's like it's taking this snapshot of them before the texture has fully loaded, much like what you see in game where the textures are low res and "popping" up to higher resolutions.

EDIT: And they STILL didn't fix the skybox thing!