A Competitive Pub Server

2»

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    Yea, I don't mind anyone joining as long as it's going to be an environment free of complaining about skill and stacking kiki

It's just really nice to play public-style with at least half the server being at least pretty decent. I'll always take a scrim first, but sometimes I would rather play on a server like this than a pug/gather.

I also think it's a great place for rookies/new payers who are walking into the game with competitive experience from other games (or atleast some higher tier play), or anyone else for that matter, who wants to be thrown into games like this so they get better faster.

Having not touched a mouse and keyboard (figuratively) since cal-ns, I know I wish I had a server like this to play on for launch day
    Syknik wrote: »
    Only thing to really mention, remove Docking and Mineshaft from the rotation.

And yea, if you're going to put on Jambi, please put on the ns2_nsl_jambi :D

I also mess with the unfinished version of tanith, great frames and the map fits ns2 for the most part. Cargo's a bit rough as new fade.. but I love tanith AMIRIGHT
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    We need something like this in Europe. I really don't know where to play.

Too many inexperienced/"dont care" players in pub, and I lack the motivation to join a team...
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Godar had one for a while, had problems keeping it populated.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I am a pub player who likes playing against people who are better then myself.

I've been playing since ~b180 in beta. Would I be welcome on this server?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    nice, ill be looking for it.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    current1y wrote: »
    Yep. It was semi successfull in all-in but none of us wanted to take the time to populate it.

Honestly, I'm not very optimistic that it will succeed, for this very reason. Even if would yield a better class of game and a better experience overall, my experience is that most skilled/comp players would rather just immediately join a populated rookie server than put any effort into seeding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

So, my bubble has not been burst. However, I feel that even if it has a small chance to succeed, it is worth it to try and to support it in any way I can, for the betterment of the community. Continuing as we have been just yields frustration all around.

We will not be adding a password or reserved slots to the server, we want there to be as few obstacles to joining the server as possible. I think the 'rookies joining' problem will be marginal at best, and in most cases should resolve itself - most rookies don't like playing on a server where they get reamed inside out. Reserved slots are counter-intuitive to the largest problem we are facing here, which is that we need to populate the server, not worry about overpopulation and preferential treatment. If we do somehow end up with a problem of there being too many people wanting to play, we will simply host another server.

The difference between this and the "marshmallow experiment" is that after 15 minutes, they were 100% guaranteed a better reward (another marshmallow). With this server, it may never fill, or random bads join and it becomes just as unfun as any other pub. There is no guarantee for time spent seeding.

Unfortunately, the few games I tried to play, the skill level seemed worse than your average round on KKG and is my biggest deterrent in returning. Not sure how to address that.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @PaLaGi

Fair points, which I also have no immediate solution for.

For the duration of the free weekend, I would appreciate it if vets would gently redirect rookies away from the Elite server and towards our ROOKIES PLAY HERE or the primary DFA server. We can hand out admin to some trusted comp players who are willing to help with the seeding / moderation as well.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Havoc, while playing I didn't necessarily tell them to go to the other server you mentioned, but I told them that if they are terrible and complaining, that they shouldn't be on the server. I don't care if people on either team aren't the greatest of players, but don't start complaining and calling out cheats. That is what I find the most annoying on any server that I go too.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Well maybe you should stop cheating Syk. gawd...