Macros legit? Right click for para is sweet!

maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
Ok so i got bored a few days ago and played around with my G9x mouse setting up multiple gaming profiles...

First, I created a macro that hits number2->click->number1 with .02 second delay between everything for a total of .1 seconds for the macro to execute....

--The result an instant parasite, mind you this is to fast for the pistol but the parasite has no delays associated with it...

Second, I created a second profile on my mouse and bound the macro to my right click... and on the original profile i bound it to my thumb

--The result for the first 0-8 minutes of aliens when im skulking but without leap/gorge/fade my left mouse bites and my right mouse parasites... I love it, it is consistent and after 1 week i have yet for it to fail (my aim as a skulk could use improvement while wall jumping)... but early game i can put out a para without hesitation or delay with a simple right click...

Other fun things, i set up the 2 profiles with different LED colors on my mouse so i know which im on, and with a touch of a button on my mouse i can switch back and forth....

Now im sure people will call this lame or even cheating, as i am not that fast but Im still curious to see where people weigh in on hardware assisted gameplay.... (I dont complain about my 30-50 FPS over peoples 100+ FPS)

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, the parasite exploit that has been in the game forever.
    Mouse1 > Swap Weapons > Mouse1 > Swap > Mouse1

Instant parasite inbetween two bites, dead A0 marine.

And yeah, I would consider it cheating. A third party program is inputting keypresses for you.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I just got used to hitting V for quickswitch between parasite and bite as skulk. When closing the distance parasite the marine, then switch to bite for the kill.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes any scripting in this game I would consider cheating.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Quickswitch? When did they add that? Hmmm... I guess I need to weigh convenience with true legitness...

Is it bad that I tore off a piece of a sticky note and put it on my screen (who needs the server to allow custom dot crosshairs when mine is stuck to the monitor)
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can just replace the crosshair file in your ns2/ui folder and you'll have custom crosshairs on every server no matter what
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    i kinda like the sticky though... it sits on the screen so its seems to draw my focus more which i guess i like...
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    It's definitely cheating, just like the pistol script, but I personally don't think this kind of scripting is a big deal as it's easily fixed and incentivises the devs to doublecheck their code to make sure there are built in delays to prevent such trivial scripting. I find it ridiculous that pistol scripting was even possible. How did the devs overlook something so simple? It's obvious that if you don't put a delay on a weapon that people will script it to fire it faster than is possible as a human. It's a flaw in the most basic of gameplay mechanics.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I don't think it's thaaaat bad. I wouldn't call it legit by any means though.

But the other side of the coin (one which i'm only arguing to play devil's advocate) is that UWE's already streamlined other abilities by adding rightclick and shift (thus allowing a similar sort of "one button press->instant use of ability" thing), instead of for example, clicking 3 to leap, then mouseclick, then 1 to bite, then mouseclick, then 3 to leap then mouseclick etc (and likewise with shift and charge, right-click and blink etc).

During the days of no right-click in ns1, people made similar macros. I guess it was probably still technically cheating at the time, but it seems that the move away from the annoying "press 3, click mouse, press 1, click mouse, press 3, click mouse" style for abilities in quick succession to a more streamlined approach was probably intended from the start, but just hadn't had the opportunity to develop in (although who knows). It wouldn't be a massive jump in reasoning to suggest that perhaps a similar streamlined approach may be favoured for parasiting too, however, dev resources and lack of a more customizable bind system may be holding this up. That's a huge assumption though, one that's probably not true, but all I'm saying is that it isn't beyond the stretch of imagination.

As I said though, just playin' devils advocate, so take that with a grain of salt. It's still a macro that does key presses for you and circumvents the current game design which would have you do it yourself. Whether it's cheating or not, personally I prefer to earn my mid-bite parasites or parasite kills more by doing it the old fashioned way, rather than making it easy mode.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    I have an APM over 2 so I've never felt the need to script 3 key strokes.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    From what I have seen and read, since scripts and macros are legit in other games they are legit here. UWE will do nothing to prevent it, however, since almost 99% of the player database plays on third party servers you have to be careful since some admins will kick/ban you for using them.
  • BonkersBonkers Join Date: 2013-04-15 Member: 184834Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Lets not all get carried away with ourselves - this is just a sensible bind, I would actually consider using this for a push in of the mouse wheel or something?

Its not scripting or cheating, move on.
  • jolonne5jolonne5 Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187103Members
    Why do that when you can just make a script to bite and parasite at the same time ah!
    Hot key is f7
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/23648209/pb.zip
    enjoy
    ^^^ now that definitely isn't legit. It would basically add 10 damage to your bite (yeah yeah, you also have to expend energy to parasite but you don't have to use it).

If such a thing is possible then perhaps the core problem is the lack of a cooldown between bite and parasite (as you would with just bite->bite).
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    ^^^ now that definitely isn't legit. It would basically add 10 damage to your bite (yeah yeah, you also have to expend energy to parasite but you don't have to use it).

If such a thing is possible then perhaps the core problem is the lack of a cooldown between bite and parasite (as you would with just bite->bite).

Well you don't need the script to do it. It's completely possible to do it naturally this is just a convenience. I don't see the problem here... This isn't console gaming is it?
    Well without a script you're limited by how fast you can click to bite then 2 to equip parasite, and then click to parasite, then then 1 to equip bite again. I'd say its more than a convenience.

When you say "at the same time", do you mean the bite and the parasite is a mere instance apart? Or is it far enough apart that it's at least almost achievable at that speed without a script?
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Well without a script you're limited by how fast you can click to bite then 2 to equip parasite, and then click to parasite, then then 1 to equip bite again. I'd say its more than a convenience.

When you say "at the same time", do you mean the bite and the parasite is a mere instance apart? Or is it far enough apart that it's at least almost achievable at that speed without a script?

It has nothing to do with how fast you are. Its more a element of timing. If you are the type of skulk that spams bite when fighting then the natural way and this script are completely worthless to you. All this script does is remove 2 keystrokes from the equation. You can probably do the same thing in your mouse drivers with a macro.

When I say "at the same time" I mean at the same time. With or without the script. I always do this in the start of games to ninja kill some marines. You see if you parasite someone from a distance then you give away your position. Using this technique you can 2 bite kill marines. Its most effective while combined with sneak attacks. If done right a marine will have about 250 ms to react before they are dead. You kill marines so fast this way that a lot of times the marine that died will claim you 1 bit killed him at full health. That is what you get with 30 tick servers so yeah. Most of the time I don't even use the script. I just made it because I saw this thread and figured people would like to do it too. So if you don't know how to do it then use the script. To do it without the script all you do is select parasite and then +attack and bite at the same time. If making simple scripts like this is considered cheating then I guess ive been cheating for many years.
  • pinepine Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168276Members
    Personally; If it's a third party program, whatever it does it's not legit. I wouldn't call it a cheat, but.. definitely not cool.

Zerg defending the macro hatch scripts with injects. Same thing.