Performance wasn't fixed with the new patch.

darkone96darkone96 Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156878Members
edited September 2013 in Technical Support
There is still a bit of mouse lag and low fps. I was running it smooth before the reinforced patch. Are they actually gonna fix the low fps at some point?

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Please provide your techsupport.exe zip file.

You should be running in DX9 fullscreen mode only?
    Anything else is in beta currently.
  • BlainnBlainn Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183189Members
    edited September 2013
    Starting on build 252 I got a hard time with NS2 too. The overall performance of DX9 is worse on my system than before. Strangly enough the beta DX11 runs a bit better than DX9 for me. But the inputlag is still present for both renderers. The lower the FPS the bigger the lag.

I tried:
    -turning on/off raw input mouse accel.
    -disabling windows aero.
    -setting max prerendered frames to 1.
    -playing around with multithreading and CPU core allocation.
    -switching to OpenGL (Fixes inputlag but fucks up performance and is featuring random crash fun / graphic bugs).
    -etc...

I discovered setting maxframes to 59 mostly fixes the inputlag by reducing waiting on GPU time but actually produces extrem micro stutters. OpenGL seems to fix the inputlag because here the CPU is the limitating factor like it was for me before build 252. This is particulary annoying cause the ensl season is about to start..

And for your information, it is not possible to capture it on video unless you are sending me a high quality camera.

Edit: needless to say vsync is off
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    @blainn well we need more to go on if you cannot provide a video. How about a techsupport for that dxdiag, like i asked above?

Something tells me what you are perceiving as input delay is actually delayed frames from your GPU being the bottleneck. I.e. "Waiting on GPU"
    I have come to the same exact conclusion lately.. its been driving me nuts, comparing and testing for past 2 weeks.

You'll notice the GC (garbage collector) runs while the game "waits on gpu" / render thread. Almost exactly every other frame.
    I think this is thrashing /interrupting something.
    Limiting your FPS with that debug command in DX11 will yield weird results.. because dx11 right now yields weird results.
    Try using DX9 fullscreen with that maxfps command and see what you find.

So yea, bottlenecked by the CPU = feels fine
    Bottlenecked by the GPU = feels delayed

Be sure to not test this issue on biodome, for the time being.
  • Vulcan78Vulcan78 Join Date: 2012-12-09 Member: 174603Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well I have to say that it was for me, tremendously so, but I have SLI and SLI was suffering from poor coding big time with the initial launch of Reinforced. I was getting some pretty bad stutter in Bio-dome, and even in other maps, but now its gone. But I am noticing something weird going on with Ambient Occlusion, I still have it set to very high but the SSAO doesn't look right, and it looks to be of very low quality. Is it the optimization? Does optimization override whatever settings you select after the fact?

System:

M18x R2: Nebula Red4.4 Ghz | 680M SLI | 16GB HyperX 1600Mhz DDR3 | 256 GB SSD |

41,197 Vantage
  • Vulcan78Vulcan78 Join Date: 2012-12-09 Member: 174603Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    M18x R2: Nebula Red4.4 Ghz | 680 SLI | 16GB HyperX 1600Mhz DDR3 | 256 GB SSD | Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300

41,197 Vantage