ns2_tram server room too friendly for aliens?

GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
edited February 2013 in Competitive Play
hello friends and lovers!

I think this is an issue that a few teams are finding difficult to deal with and I think the problem is simply map related, I wanted to get feedback on a possible revision.

Server Room is a really Alien-favored hive, it gives access to 3 easily defendable RTs in Platform, Server, and Mezzanine. as everyone knows, marine teams are currently forced into split-pushing or dual sided pressure to pull apart the aliens in an evenly-matched game. this is quite frustrating on Server Room, because the vent outside Server allows for easy ping-ponging of aliens back and forth which covers 3 RTs in hardly any traveltime. on top of all that, if marines spawn in Warehouse, they typically must always dedicate a person to cover North Tunnels to prevent a base rush which is possible pretty much at any point in the game. marines have to walk a veeerryy long path to think about getting even close to Mezzanine, and the environments for attacking Platform and Server are very alien-favored.

fY4mjsX.jpg

I'm proposing that the vent be removed (I believe this is a good starting point that will determine if any further changes are necessary). it's currently way too ridiculous that Aliens can travel back and forth to cover both naturals and their hive RT. the only other map where this comes close to happening is on Summit where the vent allows access from Computer Lab to Ventilation. Summit is more balanced in contrast to Tram because the travel time through the vents is longer, and they are easy to cover by mining or just watching the exit. it's also difficult to get to the vents in the first place because you have to pass what is typically considered safe marine territory.
compare this to Tram, where the vent in Mezzanine is almost impossible to cover as it exits high up on the ceiling, it's very far past the RT, the exit hole is very large, and there is hardly any travel time between the 3 (!) RTs.

the other annoyance is Warehouse and Server are so close + easily defendable, in a 6on6 game you really can't commit enough forces to all of these tasks which is usually possible on other maps: dual sided pressure, capturing res nodes, and preventing a base rush. I think the traveltime from Server to Warehouse should be adjusted to be less friendly for that possibility. I think the overall goal for spawns should simply be that they are different and play on different weaknesses and strengths as opposed to being just straight better.
thoughts?

Comments

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    I could agree on this. Mostly i use that vent for movement and it's not that hard to get to attack mezza from different directions so it won't become too much of a marine dominated room.
    Warehouse is tricky to defend against arc as the north tunnels is like siege heaven in ns2 making up for the close distance defence of the hives.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    I agree with you that tram (particularly server room) is overpowered, but in order to give variety in maps- what if they put server room in a more siegable position?

As it stands right now, tram is a very alien-sided map in terms of res-flow, but it is very, very marine sided in terms of sieging. Warehouse can be sieged from Ore Processing and North Tunnels- the former having a gigantic easy hallway for marines to defend from. Elevator can be sieged from observation and hub very easily. Repair room can be sieged from ore processing (not as nice), and warehouse can be sieged from logistics and the room east of warehouse.

Server room is obviously the weird one left out that cannot be sieged.

What I think should happen is- place server room's tech point in a more siegable location. It is literally impossible to siege right now. If the aliens can secure Ore-server (or warehouse-mez; this isn't unheard of, it's basically the top portion of the map), they can get easily sieged out.

This would make it similar to summit (in terms of a hub location to get around easily, reflecting crossroads), but make gameplay drastically different by having an extra easily defended RT + easily sieged hives.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    This is a good analysis and I agree with the conclusion. If this were to happen I think the vent from Mez-->North Tunnels would also need to be tweaked so that marines do not have full LoS down the entire thing.

The very north-most vent in server room has also bothered me, having vents directly behind RTs allows quick escape routes for res biting skulks, and I have seen some simply ping-pong between plat/server/mez because of the convenience of the vents.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yes, after many scrimmages observed - I find this to be true. I agree with OP.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited February 2013
    Is it really that far from warehouse to mezz? I definitely don't feel its very far compared to any other map - opposite side pressure flight to vent, sub to crevice etc all seem further to me or at least equal, just based on anecdotal evidence.

I do see your point that compared to other spawns, the quick travel time between spawns seems a bit strong, but it hurts me a little bit when we start making all maps become more homogeneous. What if we were instead to alter the vent to come out on the ground level and narrow it exiting somewhere near the RT so that it would be easy to mine, and easy to cover while assaulting mezz.

That would be sort of a compromise solution because as people have mentioned, tram is already a pretty good map for marines with all the good ARC spots. And its circular style is also good for the double pressure team upgrade first meta.
  • BeerTentBeerTent Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169639Members
    I was thinking that tweaking the spawns, so that Aliens cannot start in Server Room might help, but then I remembered that Marines can also start in Shipping. (Server Room on some games is sort of like Dockings Caf. If you lose it, you've already lost.) If we remove that vent, a gorge would be required to lock the south entrance. It feels easily defend-able for two gorges to tag-team it, but it's certainly something that needs testing. A very good idea.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    Remove the close spawn, problem partly solved.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2013
    doesn't solve the problem that aliens can cover three RTs with the travel time of one, base rush or not it's still very flawed. ahh nice ninja edit :P

I'm not really in favor of removing close spawns to begin with, though. it promotes a more aggressive game and as long as each RT room is fairly balanced to be attackable by either team, I think it's OK. it doesn't seem to impact games as severely as in say SC2 where teching rates and unit production rates are taken into consideration. but that's another thread.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is also a issue when marines spawn in warehouse and alien shipping. Aliens can travel easily between 3 key rts making it really hard for marines to cover the rts.
    I feel like warehouse and server room are to close to each other, would need a little bit more space between them. I also agree that aliens have to much mobility there.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    the alley from mezzanine to hive room is a horror for every lifeform... its just soooo long and straight forward, rines can empty two clips while chasing you...
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    I also agree! I think though if the Mezzanine vent goes, Mezzanine will have to be tweaked to be a bit more alien friendly though.

If the glass window in Platform wasn't broken that would slightly increase the travel time between Server and Warehouse for aliens also, maybe that would help with the travel time.

Thoughts?
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would like to see adjustments to the vent between platform rt and serverroom. Its to easy for skulks to escape there.

I think the glass window in platform is ok.
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Grissi wrote: »
    I would like to see adjustments to the vent between platform rt and serverroom. Its to easy for skulks to escape there.

I think the glass window in platform is ok.

I was considering removing some of the debris between the vent area and the stair set that leads down into platform. That should increase visibility of skulks escaping. Might not be enough though.

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Maybe move the mezza/north tunnels vent to be a mezza/hub vent?
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I don't really have a problem with that vent, and I'd be sad to see it go. If people think it is too powerful, perhaps the mezzanine end should be moved to the opposite wall (so the vent exit is on the south half somewhere instead of the north wall). That increases the effective distance between the res nodes and gives marines more opportunity to hear skulks using the vent.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2013
    @Olmy: thanks for considering the feedback!

Platform:
    in map testing, I recall that the broken window in platform was implemented to allow Skulks to flank North Tunnels. remember in the days prior to the change it was very easy for marines to set up there and mow down Skulks in the early game. for the issue of traveltime from Platform I think it should be addressed in another fashion, maybe a broken tram that requires some footwork to get around.
    on the RT, I think the only thing that is necessary here would be a cleanup of the debris. the vent behind the Platform RT is elongated and easy to shoot into as well as being easy to mine; I feel like it's pretty dangerous for a Skulk to attempt to escape through there.

Mezzanine:
    I think starting with removing the vent is quite safe as it doesn't necessarily tip the balance of Mezzanine in either direction. the vent exit is behind cover already so it's not like it necessarily changes the dynamic of the room itself, the traveltime is primarily what seems to be the largest benefit for aliens.
    swalk wrote: »
    Maybe move the mezza/north tunnels vent to be a mezza/hub vent?
    this seems like a good idea to toy around with, I think some Alien buffs would be necessary to Mezzanine if both vents were removed but it might be a better idea for overall map flow.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    could try it... just look at the disadvantages as well (eg. route from server to ET)

the bigger issue might be that these spawns make the game more about 'random' combat results

maybe if aliens didn't have to route near hub whenever they went anywhere it might feel better
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That vent was awesome. sucks it was taken out.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That vent had the potential to be used by both teams, There is no reason to take it out. It messed up the flow of that area.

I could leap run, hide, heal, bite, repeat, maybe get gl'd.

or you could fly with a jetpack, run away from fade,onos, now that area is more linear.

I think it was a general bad decision to remove that vent, as vents make the game more fun and dynamics. opening up the map is a good thing.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Ironman wrote: »
    That vent had the potential to be used by both teams, There is no reason to take it out. It messed up the flow of that area.

or you could fly with a jetpack, run away from fade,onos, now that area is more linear.

I think it was a general bad decision to remove that vent, as vents make the game more fun and dynamics. opening up the map is a good thing.

Considering the height of the vent only jp marines could get in there. Until you could get jps, skulks could just abuse the crap out of that vent the whole game up to that point. Real balanced. Since the removal of the vent gameplay has gotten better in that area. Now only if we could do something about the North/South imbalance, thats a real fight that should be picked.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Ironman wrote: »

Considering the height of the vent only jp marines could get in there. Until you could get jps, skulks could just abuse the crap out of that vent the whole game up to that point. Real balanced. Since the removal of the vent gameplay has gotten better in that area. Now only if we could do something about the North/South imbalance, thats a real fight that should be picked.

Make shipping fixed alien spawn? :)
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm just asking some of the more experienced players here but one recurring motive that pops up on tram is that if marines in particular start at bottom in shipping, it becomes very difficult to hold both elevator and repair early in the game while also keeping the two peripheral RTs protected consistently.

I'm speaking from pub experience here but I find I win far more games as marine and especially aliens on the northern side of the map particularly in server room compared to say shipping. Holding 5 RTs is extremely easy and grabbing even the second tech point barely requires any effort compared to southern spawn and holding elevator is especially easy from the server spawn. Feels like you focus around 3/4 of your team in holding elevator while 1/4 defend ore/warehouse and push repair.

Shipping also makes my FPS plummet compared to the other two spawns.

I wonder what starting spawns in elevator and repair would be like...