Mouse input needs work

ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
edited September 2013 in Technical Support
Mouse input is still not what it should be.

If I go into a game like TF2 my aim is great and perfectly smooth. When I go into NS2, my aim is not nearly as smooth while firing, the crosshair movement in correlation with the mouse movement is far more erratic compared to TF2.... it's certainly not a 1:1 ratio.

I don't know exactly what the problem is or what is causing it, but this and performance should be priority #1.

I sldo have every setting on low and have disabled Aero in windows and running in fullscreen (not fullscreen windowed) and have nothing else running besides NS2.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    if you could get some HD 60fps offscreen video of this, it would be greatly appreciated. We have been collecting videos like that lately from PTs, attempting to track down any mouse input delays besides the ones that were just fixed with fullscreen.
    Also, it will tell us if there's something wrong for just you by judging whether your video is more delayed than most etc.
    Be sure to include the full view of your hand and mouse, as well as at least partial screen.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Honestly, I think it has to do with fps. My FPS can fluctuate anywhere between 35-90.

When my FPS is high the aiming feels smooth just like in TF2. When my FPS drops into the ~30's is when the mouse input feels off. However, even when my FPS in TF2 drops into the 30's, the mouse input and aiming still feels smooth in that game.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Funny considering both engines use the same renderer and input handling system.
    You should take some comparison videos, then. :)

Edit: no vsync, right?
  • AddedAdded Join Date: 2013-03-20 Member: 184098Members
    edited September 2013
    He said he gets in the range of 35-90 so I doubt he has vsync, unless he has a 120hz monitor, but there would be no need if he gets that bad framerates.

As for the input lag, yes this game does deal far worse than TF2 does, but the graphics and needless enhancements make it obviously a lot more demanding, even if that really doesn't make sense with the incredibly steep learning curve (steep with a fairly low peak) with a design emphasis on competitive play. If you are running D3D11 I have tested and the r_mt 0/1 fix does work (I have tested D3D11/9 and only D3D11 seems to be affected by this.

Other fixes for input lag have been things like maxfps 59 in the console which should limit your FPS to 59 without causing mouse lag like vsync does. Mostly it's just messing with settings and trial and error - I know it shouldn't be that difficult but if you really want to play it then that's what you have to go through.

For my settings I'm currently sat on D3D9/Fullscreen/vsync disabled and FPS limited to 59 with texture streaming on (doesn't make any difference in performance but allows me to play for longer without a memory leak crash). D3D11 has even worse FPS than D3D9 and OpenGL is barely playable/completely unresponsive, input-wise.
  • oMeoMe Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25884Members
    edited September 2013
    Since the last patch that fixed dx9 performance i got a weird mouse feeling.
    Like input lag or something.
    The game runs smooth now, steady 60fps. But this mouse just feels wrong.

Tried to disable/enable mouse acc and raw input.. doesnt help.
    AO is off.
    Just in case: Do not... run DX11 if you are sensitive to mouse input. See the main NS2 Front page and NS2 main menu news.
    Use only DX9 fullscreen.

I also recommend testing your mouse input on any other map besides biodome.
    Again, video would be highly helpful.
    Thanks
  • Acid06Acid06 Join Date: 2004-06-16 Member: 29348Members
    Just wanted to mention that I'm experiencing similar issues. Maybe I just suck at NS2, but I have decent aim in Source Engine games (only other FPSs I play these days) and had decent aim on NS1.
    Yet, I'm just sucking badly at NS2. Initially I thought I wasn't used to the skulk bite hitbox anymore, so went on to play as a marine. Same thing...
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    edited September 2013
    This game has always had sub-par mouse movement, but it's gotten worse since reinforced. Frame rates that drop just below 70-60 lag quite a bit. Prior to that the mouse input system would still maintain some smoothness between 50-60. The mouse input lag makes the game unplayable at 50 or anything under that. Imagine if this was a console game running at 30. How would people play this game with the massive input lag it would get that that frame rate?

EDIT: Nvm the mouse lag actually shows up above 60, so you need a really high framerate. I'd say below 75 it becomes really noticeable. And this isn't really something video could show.
    Need more than subjective opinions, guys.. please.
    Videos, comparisons.. something.
  • oMeoMe Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25884Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Just in case: Do not... run DX11 if you are sensitive to mouse input. See the main NS2 Front page and NS2 main menu news.
    Use only DX9 fullscreen.

I also recommend testing your mouse input on any other map besides biodome.
    Again, video would be highly helpful.
    Thanks

I run dx9 in fullscreen with vsync forced driver side.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Turn off vsync, the input lag is too OP.