The evolution chamber

cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
edited September 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I recently saw how sewlek added a evolution chamber in his beta-mod. There it was used for lifeform-upgrades but it got me the idea for a new function. Basically the khamm can use it to research some special upgrades for the team which make each game a bit more unique. I want to emphasise, that non of the upgrades should be game-defining or "must-have". Rather they should allow for some individual strategies. I also didn't want simple upgrades like "+5% damage for aliens" to keep the asymetry of marines and aliens.

So without further ado, here are 8 example upgrades I came up with (ideas were rather rushed):

1. Ressource towers gather ressources 10% faster - 20 res
2. Parasite won't get removed by a medpack/armory - 15 res
3. Buildings and players evolve 10% faster - 15 res
4. Drifter get +20% hp and armor - 10 res
5. Attacking a whip/hive will spawn 3 babblers to defend it (45 sec cooldown) -25 res
6. Infestation spreads 20% faster - 20 res
7. Buildings move 25% faster - 10 res
8. When a marine gets killed he leaves behind a spore-cloud for a short time - 25 res

So for example: If the khamm goes for a defensive strategy he might want to get upgrade 1, for fast expansion upgrade 6 and so on. I'm sure others can come up with even better ideas.
Tell me what you think (or maybe if there are previous threads with the same idea)!

Comments

• RenohRenoh Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165298Members
    I like the idea very much, and it would certainly add more to the already dynamic strategy. It would increase the skill ceiling for khammanders significantly.
    The only thing that worries me is that khams could end up only using tried-and-true special upgrades rather than experimenting every game (as every game is different, following one blueprint is not a good idea).
  • CJoker3221CJoker3221 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165521Members
    Would like to see these upgrades be available after getting the types of Hive

Example:

Shade Hive:
    I)Drifters go invisible standing still - 20 res
    II) Parasite won't get removed by a medpack/armory - 15 res
    III) Extend Shade cloaking area - 15 res

Shift Hive:
    I) Infestation spreads 20% faster - 20 res
    II) Resource Tower (harvesters) gather 10% faster - 20 res
    III) Buildings and players evolve 10% faster - 15 res

Crag Hive:
    I) Drifter get +20% hp and armor - 10 res
    II) When a marine gets killed he leaves behind a spore-cloud for a short time - 25 res
    III) Attacking a whip/hive will spawn 3 babblers to defend it (45 sec cooldown) -25 res
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Nice ideas but this is adds another level of obscurity the game doesn't need. The learning curve is already very high. Adding these sorts of obscure micro management changes would increase the player drop off and would help kill the game. Non-commanding players shouldn't be surprised by seemingly random events going on to them and around them.

I feel that additions from now onwards need an obvious cause to all players (not just the commander). If they gain an extra ability, it's because they bought it or picked something up. Basically, every effect needs a visible cause.
  • CJoker3221CJoker3221 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165521Members
    Nice ideas but this is adds another level of obscurity the game doesn't need. The learning curve is already very high. Adding these sorts of obscure micro management changes would increase the player drop off and would help kill the game. Non-commanding players shouldn't be surprised by seemingly random events going on to them and around them.

I feel that additions from now onwards need an obvious cause to all players (not just the commander). If they gain an extra ability, it's because they bought it or picked something up. Basically, every effect needs a visible cause.

I guess that's true, even the current Khammander is a bit micro-manage-y for my taste :/
    Marines have it a bit easy
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited September 2013
    I actually think it would help the game to simplify aliens or make marines a little more complex. I think a lot of new players stick to marines at the start because it is easier to understand and therefore they favour it later on as their strongest side. This is why it's often the case that it's harder to get on the marine team. It's why I prefer marines anyway.