Dear Unknown Worlds... (regarding new projects)

LansevereLansevere Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187374Members
Per your Reinforcement package page information I have seen that members of your team may be working on new projects.

I am pleading that they take a look at the wondrous classics of Giants: Citizen Kabuto or Battlezone 2 for inspiration as those games have left a hole in my personage with their passage that both Natural Selection and Savage come close to mending...

Please, if anyone has played either of these gems of hybrid RTS/(FPS/TPS) yore, lend this desperate plea your memory of this time spent here on this thread...

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I sort of doubt they're going to make another game much like NS2. One RTS+FPS combo is probably enough. Keep updating NS2, and make an entirely new game for the second game (technically the third game after Zen of Sudoku).
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    $10 its zen of Sudoku 2.
    Fuck that game needs a sequel HARD AS
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I will pay 75$ to get exclusive access to zen of sudoku 2 before ANYONE else

TOTALLY WORTH IT!
  • SeriousSimFRSeriousSimFR Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187504Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Giants Citizen Kabuto... now THAT was an excellent game.

As for UWE new project, even if the reinforced program reaches its goal, there'll eventually be the need to move onto a fresh game, be it later rather than sooner. I don't think making another multiplayer title in the ns2 vein would really be the smartest move, as it'd probably draw players away from ns2.
    Maybe a multiplayer game based on a totally different concept, or even a singleplayer game? Hell, I would definitely buy an singleplayer fps game using the NS2 engine and assets and based on its universe and background, much in the avp's campaign style. Sp games are quite a big work though, considering the amount of level design needed, not sure if worth it.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I've been pondering on a single player campaign in the NS universe separate from the kharaa. Lots of potential for civil strife with the black armored TSF putting down the unruly mobs with lethal force, survival of the species/desperate measures and all that.
  • LansevereLansevere Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187374Members
    Giants Citizen Kabuto... now THAT was an excellent game.

As for UWE new project, even if the reinforced program reaches its goal, there'll eventually be the need to move onto a fresh game, be it later rather than sooner. I don't think making another multiplayer title in the ns2 vein would really be the smartest move, as it'd probably draw players away from ns2.
    Maybe a multiplayer game based on a totally different concept, or even a singleplayer game? Hell, I would definitely buy an singleplayer fps game using the NS2 engine and assets and based on its universe and background, much in the avp's campaign style. Sp games are quite a big work though, considering the amount of level design needed, not sure if worth it.

Yes, I miss Giants. I hope that ridiculous fun doesn't fade to black like Sacrifice and Battlezone 2...

About making singleplayer titles, though...

Single Player games are valued through story, pacing, length of content and replayability to a point where I think that the effort required to make a passable Single Player game is not worth it.

The same amount of effort put into making a Multiplayer game would achieve a much better response without having to tell a story, etc.

I agree that making a new multiplayer game would draw people away from NS2, but if it was different enough it could instead attract an audience of gamers interested in deeper strategy, more variety, different gameplay (expanding the total UWE audience for a net gain).

UWE should look at the Tom Clancy's The Division bit where a buddy jumps in on the action with a tablet. THAT was sick, and fresh, to boot. I know people that may be intimidated by the complex PC gaming interface that would jump on the chance to ride the action with a tablet.

I think that the talent the NS2 group has with multiplayer coding and coding great multiplayer action can be bent to a new area, but stay with MP gaming so that years of development and crunching doesn't get played and forgotten in 10 hours. (Makes me sad to think of those games...)