Skulk hit registration

Butane45Butane45 Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186444Members
Is still fubar. Unless your shortened the skulks face without saying anything, what counted as a bite 2 patches ago doesn't count as a bite now. Tonight I had a fight where I saw blood, and the hit didn't count.

Comments

• ZlodoZlodo Join Date: 2013-06-28 Member: 185757Members
    It will never work right until they either reduce marines movement speed or ridiculously increase the size of the bite detection cone, because of latency. There's a reason no one makes fast paced multiplayer FP melee fighting games.

This is a typical case of game design failing to account for technical limitations.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The problem is that making the marine movement more jerky and unpredictable by re-introducing stuff like strafe jumps, the problems with lag become aggravated. The fluidity of the game experience is by large owed to the lag compensation and prediction of the game engine. If movement is more predictable, the engine prediction is more successful and the gameplay more smooth and consistent, and vice versa. I don't understand why they felt the need to "re-fix" this aspect of the game after doing it more or less right in 251.
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The problem also seems to exist to some extent with the fade, it feels like its damage cone has been shortened, although it's far more noticeable and severe with the skulk. It's rage-inducing. I refuse to play aliens anymore.
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    So true, it does feel like your only getting two out of three bites compared with a few weeks ago and before you get celerity and leap marines can easily out dance the sculk now.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why not practice with the crutch now so "when" it's fixed you'll be awesome later?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm seeing something similar as well. Bites don't seem to be landing when I'm really close to the marine (like pressed against him).
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    People see marines ending a game with 40-5 while they didnt hit skulks itself.
    Im sure many thinking things like "Damn, i could have the same kill/death ratio but the hit registration is so horrible"
    Its like ingame: Its always the coms fault, not the marine having zero gamesense and and zero aim.

The game has performance issues for sure, sometimes people playing on horrible 5 tick servers.
    These two things can have an huge impact on the tracking abilitys of an marine/skulk.
    But the hit registration itself is working fine in 95% of the situations
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's the servers fault when you are pressed against a marine so close the models are colliding (i.e. you can't get any closer) have the bite lined up and it doesn't register the hit? Although I'm not saying it happens every time it seems like 1/3 - 1/5 bites, although of course that's anecdotal. Have to run some tests using something like FRAPS. If it is the servers fault then it's far more noticeable in the current build than it was a few builds ago.
  • SewdiOSewdiO Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187136Members
    dePARA wrote: »
    People see marines ending a game with 40-5 while they didnt hit skulks itself.
    Im sure many thinking things like "Damn, i could have the same kill/death ratio but the hit registration is so horrible"
    Its like ingame: Its always the coms fault, not the marine having zero gamesense and and zero aim.

The game has performance issues for sure, sometimes people playing on horrible 5 tick servers.
    These two things can have an huge impact on the tracking abilitys of an marine/skulk.
    But the hit registration itself is working fine in 95% of the situations

You're doubting the sincerity of the posters, and that will make the discussion go nowhere. I'm pretty sure NS2 people can tell if the error is their fault or not, as you have to if you don't want to rage 100% of the time played (and in other games too, that's just more prevalent in NS2 IMO). Also they point out a difference in one version to another, it's not like a new player comming and saying it's broken (it may be true but may be biased).
    Also, you should be saying that for you / in your opinion hit registration works 95% of the time. That's like saying "the game itself doesn't suffer performance issues 95% of the time". While it may be true for you, it isn't necessarily for everyone.

And i can tell you that i'm often killed by marines after going behind a wall or the very instant i see him (that's why many aliens constantly move while bitting an extractor, to compensate for the delay).
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    well I know I'm never bothering to boot up NS2 again until this is fixed

the devs have basically bricked a game that wasn't completely terrible before
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    @biz if it's so game breaking in frequency, why don't you capture it on video so it can actually be fixed for everyone? You will get a cookie and a big thank you, too. ;-)

We experienced similar, yet infrequent occurrences in testing but this was with a jittery server on top of a now fixed bug where more than 15 players created network hitching. We need reproduction on video. Be sure to have r_stats and net_stats enabled when recording.
  • WiseguyWiseguy Join Date: 2005-07-24 Member: 56645Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sorry but what are you talking about? No idea what servers you guys have been playing on but skulk bite is still fine for me, only problem is marines moving more which means you have to rely on twitch aiming when they suddenly leap to one side.

That being said it was tricky for a couple of hours then after that I just got on with it and now its all gravy.

Also, top tip: Try biting someone who isn't shooting you in the face, the super skulk has been dead for a long time now guys so adapt and survive, ambush or die... Oh wait, Natural Selection? How fitting...
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    edited September 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @biz if it's so game breaking in frequency, why don't you capture it on video so it can actually be fixed for everyone? You will get a cookie too.

How am I going to show the difference between before and after without footage from before?

What is a video going to show when the game doesn't even have feedback about whether a hit was landed?

edit:
    maybe the 2nd part is answerable by showing an extended cut and assuming some level of marine health + armor
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Try playing Fade vs. jetpack on any good server. Thanks to collisions, movement changes and very short hit cones, it's incredibly hard to land swipes on any jetpacker that can hold spacebar + any combination of W, A, S and D.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    biz wrote: »
    @biz if it's so game breaking in frequency, why don't you capture it on video so it can actually be fixed for everyone? You will get a cookie too.

How am I going to show the difference between before and after without footage from before?

What is a video going to show when the game doesn't even have feedback about whether a hit was landed?

edit:
    maybe the 2nd part is answerable by showing an extended cut and assuming some level of marine health + armor
    Wut?
    We don't need to see any footage from before?...?

Just record your bites missing on film.. no matter how its occurring. (Damage numbers enabled helps, even if they are showing at the bottom of the screen /wrong position)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    biz wrote: »

edit:

Honestly, the way you've been banging on for the past few months I'm surprised you haven't packed up and left long ago.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    interp 99999 seconds on high speed internet age
  • AsmodiesAsmodies Join Date: 2004-06-17 Member: 29353Members
    The game really does interp too hard. L4D 1 and 2 had the same problem, the game was really biased towards the survivors because they had hitscan and the zombies only had melee. Basically the source engine and people using builds of it are just accepting that it's bad for melee and good for hitscan and trying to make melee work anyway. The problem is that with a 200ms fixed snapshot rollback even between people with *good* connections still get 300ms of latency, so the game is nearly 1/3 a second off when it comes to collision and melee attacks.

If you're going to build a disadvantage into an engine, compensate for it. If you know collision based attacks and melee attacks are going to be on average 1/3rd a second off, make them easier to land, if you know while dodging an alien is going to be 1/3rd a second late in response, or getting behind the marine, or getting around a corner, tweak with that in mind.

Anyone whose been playing online for a long time (especially in source) recognizes what's going on and probably knows a bit of why, it's a weakness of the engine and a system that is slowly becoming obsolete as worldwide connections get better. So for now, game design needs to compensate for it, not encourage its exploitation.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    edited September 2013
    current1y wrote: »
    I'm seeing something similar as well. Bites don't seem to be landing when I'm really close to the marine (like pressed against him).

I recently followed a marine as they tried to run back to base, I was literally bouncing off their back as I swiped continuously, The marine was a green so he had no idea what was happening behind him, he was just running straight as an arrow back to the armory. I kept going just to LOL at how bad it was, I would say I attempted 15 swipes with 0 hits. I was blinking to catch up to them then walking behind them.

I then hit ` followed by QUIT then ENTER and I refuse to play this game again until this is fixed. Just terrible.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    @biz if it's so game breaking in frequency, why don't you capture it on video so it can actually be fixed for everyone? You will get a cookie and a big thank you, too. ;-)

We experienced similar, yet infrequent occurrences in testing but this was with a jittery server on top of a now fixed bug where more than 15 players created network hitching. We need reproduction on video. Be sure to have r_stats and net_stats enabled when recording.

I will attempt to produce a video of this effect for you.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    joederp wrote: »

I recently followed a marine as they tried to run back to base, I was literally bouncing off their back as I swiped continuously, The marine was a green so he had no idea what was happening behind him, he was just running straight as an arrow back to the armory. I kept going just to LOL at how bad it was, I would say I attempted 15 swipes with 0 hits. I was blinking to catch up to them then walking behind them.

I then hit ` followed by QUIT then ENTER and I refuse to play this game again until this is fixed. Just terrible.

Just curious what pop was the server? I notice it happening the most in 24 player servers when it's full.

• VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members

I've had that, except it was pre-patch. Followed the guy and swiped 5 times as he ran then turned around in a straight line (so he slowed down). Are you sure it wasn't in a high pop/low performance server?
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I myself, and I can only speak for myself, have never had these issues with the skulk, gorge, lerk or onos. I have experienced what the above have mentioned about the fade, but I blinked onto the marine and then the swipe registered so I figured that the marine was just slightly faster than my fade at the time.
    After more play. Leaning towards server issues.
  • pinepine Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168276Members
    As alien; no difference for me, I seem to bite as terrible as before.
    As marine; I noticed a major hit registration fix. I seem to hit everything, one even called out hax (i was so proud :D ). Skulks melt like butter now.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    You all argue on detail instead on the whole thing

Yes there is lag caused
    -By network (no one have the same connexion/distance etc...)
    -The NS2 server software itself and / or slow servers

Yes :
    -the marine movement improved (strafe jump)
    -the AV is useless and the default vision makes it difficult to track in engagement (melee weapon)

This is not one thing but all these things together that makes it harder to kill marines.

The "bear trap bite" could be one solution. if not i would vote for :
    -AV last version return (green), with some improvement, or the moded one with some improvements too.
    -More life / armor for skulk. But we know what it's gonna introduce isn't it (NS 1.04) ?

• StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Just curious what pop was the server? I notice it happening the most in 24 player servers when it's full.

That happened to me on a non-full 16 player server without performance issues. It's due to collisions and ridiculously short melee cones, although server performance can make it even more evident with rubberbanding.
  • ZlodoZlodo Join Date: 2013-06-28 Member: 185757Members
    kalakuja wrote: »
    interp 99999 seconds on high speed internet age
    When people talk about "High internet speed" they're talking about bandwidth, which have nothing to do with latency (ie lag)

And latency generally doesn't go down because pretty much: nobody cares about it that much other than gamers and technology focuses on improving bandwidth instead. This is why there is a maximal amount of "twitchiness" that can reasonably work in a game played on the internet.