New player question and feedback regarding reinforcement program/game.

zero192zero192 Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187622Members
edited September 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hello.

I heard of the game via the free steam weekend/sale and I liked what I saw. By the time I got back from downloading it (data limit at home) the free trial had ended-not sure why a free weekend ends early sunday afternoon but alright. I liked what I had heard so I got it anyway.

I really love it so far. It is pretty much the exact shooter I have been looking for. I only have a few issues:

1. Some serious performance/crashing issues, which judging by the steam forums, everyone is damn well aware of. Something called 'awesomium' keeps crashing??? Doesn't seem awesome -_-

2. Some sort of SP/ coop mode would be great, but Im sure this has already been discussed.

3. My main question/issue. Weapon variety. Or the lack of variety. So for marines we have the assault rifle and pistol you start with and then the flamethrower, grenade launcher, and shotgun available after upgrades and for a significant amount of resource points. So 5 in total. And between the required upgrades and resource points, you will spend a lot of most games with only the seemingly woeful pistol and the assault rifle. And you will always start with only them. Even if you count the 2 exo weapons that's still only 7. As I said I love the game already, but I also already feel unsatisfied with the minimal weapon choices.

So, before I decide whether or not to support this reinforcement package, are there plans to expand the weapon variety anytime soon? Really, for both sides, as the aliens appear a bit lacking also.

Thank you :)

And to the devs: Awesome game! Please keep up with the great work. I hope a decent amount of the new players from this weekend stick with you guys despite the issues a lot of us are having. I intend to!

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    Don't forget the new hand grenades ^^. Adding new weapons is tricky, as they need to fufill specific roles to be worthwhile, instead of just adding a random gun.

Ax = low, but efficient structure damage. Free utility and luls weapon.
    Rifle = medium damage, good all around gun. Primary role is for skulk killing at range.
    Shotgun = high damage at close range. Good for fades, biting lerks, and skulks.
    Flamethrower = low damage, high support/disruption. Slows alien energy regen, removes umbra, spore, bile. Disables hive healing (!).
    Grenade Launcher = high damage, anti-structure and good alien damage.

Cluster Grenade = explosive force multiplier. Good for clearing vents, skulks behind nodes, and killing injured aliens taking PG.
    Nerve Gas Grenade = Useful for extended alien engagements, hive pushes, and good defensive uses.
    Pulse Grenade = Slows alien rate of attack, moderate impact damage. The opposite of enzyme for marines.

They're all soft counters rather than hard, but each does best in its role. Same goes for aliens. Adding another weapon should fufill a role that is lacking from the other weapons.
  • zero192zero192 Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187622Members
    Thank you for your responses :)

Thanks for telling me about zenoswarm Narfwak. I have a friend that is very new to gaming and I was hoping to play the game with them in a no pressure, private environment. Is there a certain place to get these mods? Through the steam workshop perhaps? I am new to steam also.

And yes, I fully agree with both of you. I am not at all trying to advocate adding in a bunch of needless weapons. Merely trying to point out what I at least perceive as a bit of a deficit in the game currently :) I think just maybe 2-3 additional weapons might do the trick. Maybe just to have some other spawning choices?

Either way it seems like they added quite a bit of content/weapon content this last big update so I suppose I should go do the reinforcement thing :D

Lastly, anyone else know of any coop type mods I could play with just one other friend?

Thanks guys!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    It's on the workshop, but the game will also automatically mount and download any server mods if you join a server running that mod (usually - always safer to subscribe first). You can filter the server browser by mod automatically by clicking the name of a mod the browser detects once it has finished updating the master list.

Just checked and it looks like it hasn't been updated since the patch, so it probably won't work for the time being. Server side mods are the #1 cause for very weird bugs after big patches like this so it's generally a better idea to look for servers running no mods or as few as possible for the next week or so. :(
  • zero192zero192 Join Date: 2013-09-02 Member: 187622Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    It's on the workshop, but the game will also automatically mount and download any server mods if you join a server running that mod (usually - always safer to subscribe first). You can filter the server browser by mod automatically by clicking the name of a mod the browser detects once it has finished updating the master list.

Just checked and it looks like it hasn't been updated since the patch, so it probably won't work for the time being. Server side mods are the #1 cause for very weird bugs after big patches like this so it's generally a better idea to look for servers running no mods or as few as possible for the next week or so. :(

Okay thank you for the link and your advice :) Any other good stuff/guides/mods/hacks (totally just kidding :P I dont believe in cheating, ever) I should check out? Any new player friendly groups/clans to check out? I play with a few organized groups on voice chat in some other competitive games and it vastly improves the experience. Also, if you dont mind, could you tell me what the 'performance' stat means next to servers?

Thanks again.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    zero192 wrote: »
    Narfwak wrote: »

Okay thank you for the link and your advice :) Any other good stuff/guides/mods/hacks (totally just kidding :P I dont believe in cheating, ever) I should check out? Any new player friendly groups/clans to check out? I play with a few organized groups on voice chat in some other competitive games and it vastly improves the experience. Also, if you dont mind, could you tell me what the 'performance' stat means next to servers?

Thanks again.

Most of the mods I use are purely cosmetic or I like to change my crosshairs. There's some simple white dot crosshairs or whatever strikes your fancy on the workshop. Just check it out and you might find stuff that's useful for you. Also check out the ns2 reddit pug system. Just need to join the mumble which unfortunately I don't have on hand, but the info should be somewhere on the forums. If there are enough people on we choose commanders pick teams and have some organized fun. Just be careful, these pugs are full of vets and you might die a lot if you're not that experienced yet. It's a good place to gain that experience though if you have the desire to.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Check out combat for a simple tdm mod. It's great to learn the different lifeforms and weapons, and as it's stripped all RTS elements there's no pressure at all.

Whatever you do, stick to the game. It's worth it!
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    There's a possibility of an upgraded rifle making it into the game at some point, it's been tested a bit and there's a lot of support for it since it was in NS1 but there's some potential balance issues associated with giving JP marines an enhanced longrange weapon so they're being very cautious about it (also the weapon would need a new model I guess)
  • ARMYguyARMYguy Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187280Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always wanted a HMG in this game, as it was my favorite thing to use in NS1. The giant robot of death is cool too, but its also really easy to take down, huge and slow etc.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ARMYguy wrote: »
    I always wanted a HMG in this game, as it was my favorite thing to use in NS1. The giant robot of death is cool too, but its also really easy to take down, huge and slow etc.

That's why you keep him at a safe distance in areas where he has the advantage, and team mates watching/welding him; bringing him into a enclosed room with no team around is what will make him easy to take down
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Don't forget the welders. They go through skulks like butter. :)

Oh, and that pistol you called 'seemingly woeful'? 5 shots to kill a skulk (before carapace and biomass upgrades). 0.5 seconds. When I play combat mod, I quite often only use the pistol for a while at the beginning as it's such a brutal skulk killer :)

Welcome to the game. Remember: get off the floor as a skulk, and learn to use crawl (left shift) to walk silently. Marines can hear you running about from miles away ;)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Don't forget the welders. They go through skulks like butter. :)

Oh, and that pistol you called 'seemingly woeful'? 5 shots to kill a skulk (before carapace and biomass upgrades). 0.5 seconds. When I play combat mod, I quite often only use the pistol for a while at the beginning as it's such a brutal skulk killer :)

Yes, you don't want him as combat opponent... ;)

@OP If you play xenoswarm you hit two birds with one stone: You play coop AND there are additional weapons and abilites!

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    You can allso go find a organiced team play @ gatheres at ensl.org - In case you want to play on a semi competative level, or just want a bigger challange :) (read: Fastest way to get better, besides joining a clan)
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd recommend getting some experience in pubs before jumping into gathers or pugs, as people expect you to know the basics of the game and have a bit of game sense. Some people don't have the patience to explain that during a match. Don't be afraid to ask questions, though.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Does anybody know how to open up the sandbox so that others might join in?
    If I go via Training -> Sandbox, I only get single player sandboxes.

I already figured out how to forward the necessary ports to open a normal server, but how do you make that sandbox public? So I can invite some friends/rookies for some ns2 familiarization...

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    GISP wrote: »
    You can allso go find a organiced team play @ gatheres at ensl.org - In case you want to play on a semi competative level, or just want a bigger challange :) (read: Fastest way to get better, besides joining a clan)

learn the game before doing this, even recommend watching matches on youtube, people in gathers will quickly become frustrated if you don't know the basics
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Yeah... The lack of weapons does make marines seem a bit boring, but I suppose it's because of the more arcade'ish nature of NS2. If you think about all the weapons in a game like Counter-Strike they wouldn't really serve any purpose... Like weapons having different kind of spread or rate of fire, well in NS2 there is no spread and rate of fire is max :D I suppose we could have a sniper rifle - the pistol used to have a sniper fire mode, which was fun, dunno why it was removed - but even that is kinda covered by the railgun and using a scope of some sort would be a death sentence... Also the game is asymmetrical, so each weapon has to be balanced towards whatever aliens got. While in symmetrical pvp like CS both sides can buy the same gun, no balancing required. ("COLT WAS TOTALLY OVERPOWERED AND TERRORISTS COULDN'T UNNH BUY IT"-shut up! :P )
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited September 2013
    I hate the name "awesomium"

Also this game does not 100 guns that all play more or less the same in the manner of CoD or BF.
    I hate the name "awesomium"

It's a third party program that's being used to load content from the web into applications (= games).
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to open up the sandbox so that others might join in?
    If I go via Training -> Sandbox, I only get single player sandboxes.

I already figured out how to forward the necessary ports to open a normal server, but how do you make that sandbox public? So I can invite some friends/rookies for some ns2 familiarization...

Hmm that's a good idea...I'll try to make it optionally public in the next update.