Tutorial issues, anyone?

SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Hi all,
Some people have been reporting that they can't get past the first objective of the tutorial: joining the marine team. Has anyone experienced this? If so, could you try disabling all mods, and then trying again? Let me know if that fixes it.

--Steve

Comments

• 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I've been away for a few upgrades but I was able to go rine at the start. My only problem was for the next game the rine side filled up with bots causing a re-start until I typed j1 in console as soon as the rr popped up at the end.
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It happened to me yesterday. Marine side had one bot so I couldn't join. Enabling cheats in the console allowed me to join, will try disabling mods and posting here, when I have time.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited September 2013
    I think the tutorials need to explain the importance of capturing resource points as a lot of newbie commanders are just building the base and ignoring the need to build extractors and drop power.

Seen marine commanders ignore calls to place power and extractors in favour of building their base.

Also seen alien commanders not understanding the importance of cysts.
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    perso wrote: »
    It happened to me yesterday. Marine side had one bot so I couldn't join. Enabling cheats in the console allowed me to join, will try disabling mods and posting here, when I have time.
    Ok. Disabled all mods, and joining the marine team in tutorial works now.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    What an hilarious voice over that would be.

It costs no res for the commander to drop a power node, build the power to 99% - don't complete it! This allows power nodes to be tapped to completion at any time and are at no risk of being taken down. You don't want to repair a powernode without a welder do you? Remember, if a blueprint structure is attacked by a melee type alien attack you're commander gets all of the resources back!

When you try to teach the ins and outs of power nodes you realise how accustomed you've become to such tedious and convoluted mechanics.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Yeah. I wait for the day, when they get detached from powering buildings and remain just light switches. They would be pre-placed in the whole map. (=lights on) They would be destroyed in 5 skulk bites and repaired in 4 seconds with a welder. (8 without)

Yay for battlefield-modificator! Srsly, why do they power buildings? To prevent turtles? That is something of the past. Attacking the power in main base is stupid since "power surge".

€dit: Sry for off-topic. The tutorial was fine as I tested it in 252.
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Slightly off topic...but a small tutorial related bug I noticed the other day. If you have the "Show Hints" option disabled, if you enter the tutorial menu and try to watch some of the quick tips videos none of them will play.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    watever you do dont kill the hive during the marine tutorial!
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »
    What an hilarious voice over that would be.

It costs no res for the commander to drop a power node, build the power to 99% - don't complete it! This allows power nodes to be tapped to completion at any time and are at no risk of being taken down. You don't want to repair a powernode without a welder do you?
    I see what you mean. But the tutorial is not meant to teach the finer details of everything. But when you need to send a simple, clear message, I'd say "power, then RT" is better than "RT, then power".

This might be coincidence, but the number of extractors built first in pub games seems to be very high since 253. Rookie players, sure, but I wonder if they did the tutorial.
    Remember, if a blueprint structure is attacked by a melee type alien attack you're commander gets all of the resources back!
    Slightly off-topic, but.... is there a difference? I always though the res are refunded no matter if it's destroyed by melee, ranged or by moving through it?
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    watever you do dont kill the hive during the marine tutorial!

Must... resist...
  • littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    soooooo i killed the hive in the tutorial all it does is disable the alien side. you wont spawn at all.

:3 i couldn't resist to try.