Biomass and CC imposed limitations

LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
Does anyone else thinks biomass is a lame way to limit what aliens can and cannot do? I know it gives players health but it just seems lazy. I also think the need to have multiple CC to drop certain units is a lazy way to limit marine strategies.

I always been in favor of, if you got the team res, then you can do it, but the way the tech trees are set up it just doesn't give you that flexibility, you HAVE to get a certain level of map control to do these things. I don't think a snowball game design focus like that is unlocking the full potential for this game.

I know this game isn't Starcraft 2 but what I like about it is off one base you have that option to get the higher tier units, it isn't advised and if you lose it then chances are you are screwed. I wish something like that was in this game.

I am in favor if the marine right off the bat have to build 2 different structures to drop exos in based right off the bat while still on 1-2 res nodes. They are skipping out on a crap ton of upgrades and phase gates whilst going through that path.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    No marines or skulks! Just exos and onos, c'mon it'll be fun guys!
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    No marines or skulks! Just exos and onos, c'mon it'll be fun guys!

Be careful what you say, I suspect that there are people who wouldn't realise this is satire.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    You would be surprised how much res goes into things other than teching up. Things like outposts (armouries, phase gates, observatories, turrets), and the inherent cost of moving marines throughout the map (medpacks, ammo packs, scans).

By simply staying in a very limited area, and never spending any resources on things not directly relating to tech, you can actually acquire tech at an insane rate. Such a strategy can be seen quite clearly in the somewhat pubbish 10-12 minute level 3 armour+weapon rush. Despite what some may say, it can actually be very effective, and while I won't say that its easy, you can win a game like that. However, if you gave a team everything they needed with this strat, a lot more people would just sit in the same place and gather resources for 15 minutes before doing anything. And when I say "a team", I mean marines.

Marines are insanely good at defending locations. If marines keep their starting res and get one additional extractor, they can basically just sit tight for 15 minutes and no amount of resources would allow the aliens to win. They would need to wait until they could pull out the big tech like fully upgraded Onos.
    This whole tech requirement is essentially a way to stop the dominant marine strategy from becoming "turtle2win". The alien biomass feature is just a way to create some parity between the two teams.
  • LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
    edited September 2013
    Marines are insanely good at defending locations. If marines keep their starting res and get one additional extractor, they can basically just sit tight for 15 minutes and no amount of resources would allow the aliens to win. They would need to wait until they could pull out the big tech like fully upgraded Onos.
    This whole tech requirement is essentially a way to stop the dominant marine strategy from becoming "turtle2win". The alien biomass feature is just a way to create some parity between the two teams.

Thats the thing, the game needs a tech tree change and maybe a change on how to gather resources, the tech trees is based around imposing limitations on build orders. That is lazy game design which leads to limited strategies. If they could change that and leave it free form, which I define as gather resources and build what you want regardless of map control, then the game will really shine.

What you are saying is the devs created this system where there is no way aliens can bust through marine turtle defense, so you are okay with them artificially imposing limitations on strategies.

Map control should only mean more resource income and map awareness, it should not influence what unit/upgrades you can get.
    if you gave a team everything they needed with this strat, a lot more people would just sit in the same place and gather resources for 15 minutes before doing anything.

I don't think so, if they decide to stay on one base the entire time, and aliens have free reign on all the other resource nodes, upgraded fades and lerks would tear through those non-upgraded marines who also have poor Pres income.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    The only thing you need a second cc for is dual exos, that's it.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can't compare this game to a classic RTS because each side gets its base units for free at a set interval. That's why Marines are able to turtle so well. It has nothing to do with base limitations or strategy . It is because the game is an fps as well as RTS. I suggest you rethink your assertions in that light.
  • LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
    edited September 2013
    Wheeee wrote: »
    You can't compare this game to a classic RTS because each side gets its base units for free at a set interval. That's why Marines are able to turtle so well. It has nothing to do with base limitations or strategy . It is because the game is an fps as well as RTS. I suggest you rethink your assertions in that light.

I don't think I have to rethink it because it is an FPS. what about it being a FPS and free units makes imposing limitations absolutely necessary?
    The only thing you need a second cc for is dual exos, that's it.

Something that should be changed.