Upgradable Extractors

GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I am not sure how viable this would be but, what if Comms could choose to specialize upgrades for extractors. For example after an extractor is built the comm can choose to spend x res to upgrade the extractor to either an Armored extractor with 1.5x the armor but would reduce output by 25% or an Overpowered Extractor which would reduce armor in half but increase output by 25%.

You could also do a flat upgrade from the command center, but I like the per extractor upgrade, because it would let you exploit "safe" extractors, and help protect exposed ones. In the end I feel like this would be a nerf for Marines since it is a T-Res sink with arguably a net 0 effect if you have the same amount of overpowered as armored extractors, but it would let a bold team risk loosing extractors for increased res flow.

Obviously numbers could all be tweaked for balance, you could even have a penalty of reduced res or no res during the upgrade. The draw back would be even more micromanagement of res-nodes for Comms, but it could add some nice risk reward dynamics to the res tech tree.

A similar feature could be implemented for Harvesters once they mature. But I would make it a free upgrade since you have to wait for maturation, either that or make it function differently.

Ideally all these changes would come with Visual changes for the RTs as well but that seems like a tall order for UWE typically since 3D Modeling is expensive.

Comments

• stibaerstibaer Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186398Members
    I suggest the solution they used in Dawn of War.
    You can upgrade an extractor 2 times.
    Each time you upgrade it, it gets a higher incomebonus and a better defenseturret.

You also can research an upgrade that all extractors on the map produce a cetain amount moreincome. like+ 10%. 2nd upgrade gives you +20% on all rts.
  • ParityParity Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187335Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't want to see electrified resource towers like in NS1.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    I never minded electrified towers like NS1 had. They were relatively ineffective against bile-bombing gorges, fades and onos, but they prevented the lone random skulk from knocking down RT's. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing it back for that very reason. One random skulk shouldn't be able to take down an unmonitored RT.

That said, power nodes have changed this dynamic. The lone skulk/skulk pack will just instead take out the power node; so, the electricity may not have as much of an affect on anything.