Compiling to Death

GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
Everytime i join a server or change the map while playing my client compiles all the files again. This happens everytime. Am i the only one with this problem ?

Comments

• OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    It's not compiling. Compiling them takes significantly longer. You can tell by switching the render device. It'll recompile them when you do that, and that's when it takes a long while. Something is going on though. Shaders used to take a split second to load. Now it takes upwards of 10-20 seconds for me.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    edited August 2013
    vittfat8.jpg

vn7f2ugs.jpg

what is this then ?
    again this shows up all the time.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    this is still a problem after the update :/
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Been running my OS and NS2 on ssd's since the end of 2012. NS2 never really loads fast like other games but it was ok. The latest patch has slowed down loading the game and maps in particular to a crawl.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    compiling is worst now that before, loading know is a mess for me now
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Takes 20 up minutes longer than it used to.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I assume this is due to it compiling more.
    It recompiles, so far i know, every shader 'again' on a new patch to be sure they are all correct. AND we get more and more shinies to compile right?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    FYI, these shaders are not compiling everytime.
    Same with GUIBASIC, but It is however being loaded when needed, as GUI items are intentionally not precached. This shouldn't cause any hitching at all.

Now.. if you can show me a screenshot or log.txt of the game "compiling" any shaders while playing a game (people are dying etc) then there's something to be concerned about.
    Until then.. this is typical behavior?
    Not speaking about long loading times, BTW, thats a separate matter and should be in a different thread, with a link to a pastebin of your log with
    r_loading true 
    loadtimes true

enabled while loading a map