Do the devs even care about public match balance?

2»

Comments

• RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Surefour wrote: »
    Exos are weaker now but they can be beaconed. This makes alien base rushes WAY scarier and aggressive Hive pushes more realistic as you can get in, do a lot of res damage and then get beaconed out.

The fact exos can get beaconed now makes it even easier for aliens to revert aggression. Marine push coming? Force beacon at main, no more push.

Not to mention if the marines have 2 bases and you force a beacon on one there is nothing protecting the second base from getting instagibbed as the exos are gone from there aswell.

Forcing a beacon to leave the exos alone was a fairly effective way of getting rid of them. Can't do that anymore. Yeah, the aliens can delay the attack more easily now, but I think exos not being able to beacon was more beneficial for aliens; they could actually get more damage done during that time by taking out a lot of marine pres out of the game.

Also if the aliens are coordinated enough to achieve that while the marines are so unorganized that they don't split up instantly after the beacon, the aliens deserve to win anyway. It's not like the alien team can "instagib" the other base while also doing a considerable enough attack to cause a beacon to the other.
    Skulks ARE strong early game, but they aren't as strong as they were. You can get armor 1 up in under 2 minutes, that makes it 3 bites no matter what.

Which is still very weak for a marine.

Not really considering that the marine movement changes makes dodging skulks even easier now.

• bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    you can't judge the balance until they fix all the alien melee hitreg issues
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Surefour It is very clear from reading your posts and the thread that you lack the knowledge and experience to say if anything is balanced or not... maybe try playing more than your 10-20 hours and then you can talk.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mouse lag/input is about the only complaint I can justifiably comment on.
  • SurefourSurefour Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187188Members
    @Surefour It is very clear from reading your posts and the thread that you lack the knowledge and experience to say if anything is balanced or not... maybe try playing more than your 10-20 hours and then you can talk.

I'm so glad you with your absolute knowledge and experience can explain why I know nothing.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2013
    The last 2 patches you've made are only making the balance worse and worse making it more favourable to aliens.

Wow. You're the first one who doesn't complain about all the Alien nerfs and tells us they're in favor of them. Good job!

You're joking right?

increased lerk melee attack speed
    stomp deals now damage
    Railguns are now affected by umbra
    Improved Crag Heal ability slightly
    Increased Bile Bomb damage against Exosuits by 25%

I could list even more buffs, but let me just list more nerfs instead, just to show you how biased your selection is:

Fades got movement and structure damage nerfs
    Fades got Vortex changed
    Lifeforms don't get Biomass HP benefits until they research an expensive upgrade
    Upgrades can be disabled by destroying all associated structures on the map
    Lifeform eggs take longer to gestate
    Alien respawn time got increased
    Drifters are more expensive
    Umbra requires 2 Hives now
    Bile Bomb is on Biomass 3 now
    Babblers don't give ludicrous amounts of HP anymore
    Marines got movement buffs
    Marines got Catpacks
    Marines got Grenades
    Marines got Dual Railguns
    Marines can exit Exos
    Beacons work on Exos
    Exos can upgrade to a dual-version later

Thus far I've seen only even, long matches that were exiting until the last minute and a constant back and forth of map control.
    That is when both teams have equally good players and commanders who know what they are doing, which you can't really expect this shortly after a massive patch that changed a lot around. Not even talking about the current Free Weekend on Steam, which is surely going to net a lot of rookie players at the moment. Trying to make any judgment about balance under these circumstances is just silly.
    edited August 2013
    Stele007 wrote: »
    Dude, ns2stats by default shows the past 2 weeks, which WAS horribly biased toward aliens. Change the filter to only show today and you find marines have a slightly more than 50% win rate. Stop spouting bullshit.
    Imbaxlax wrote: »
    Oh, and NS2 most certainly does have a recommended number of players. Its 6-8.

Unfortunately almost all of the pub servers in NS2 are 20-24. I try to join 16 player servers when I can, but they're usually empty.

From 29.08.2013 - 29.08.2013 Marines only have a >50% winrate in 10-15 below matches, so thanks for proving my point
    edited August 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »
    The last 2 patches you've made are only making the balance worse and worse making it more favourable to aliens.

Wow. You're the first one who doesn't complain about all the Alien nerfs and tells us they're in favor of them. Good job!

You're joking right?

increased lerk melee attack speed
    stomp deals now damage
    Railguns are now affected by umbra
    Improved Crag Heal ability slightly
    Increased Bile Bomb damage against Exosuits by 25%

I could list even more buffs, but let me just list more nerfs instead, just to show you how biased your selection is:

Fades got movement and structure damage nerfs
    Fades got Vortex changed
    Lifeforms don't get Biomass HP benefits until they research an expensive upgrade
    Lifeform eggs take longer to gestate
    Drifters are more expensive
    Umbra requires 2 Hives now
    Bile Bomb is on Biomass 3 now
    Babblers don't give ludicrous amounts of HP anymore
    Marines got movement buffs
    Marines got Catpacks
    Marines got Grenades
    Marines got Dual Railguns
    Marines can exit Exos
    Beacons work on Exos
    Exos can upgrade to a dual-version later

Thus far I've seen only even, long matches that were exiting until the last minute and a constant back and forth of map control.
    That is when both teams have equally good players and commanders who know what they are doing, which you can't really expect this shortly after a massive patch that changed a lot around. Not even talking about the current Free Weekend on Steam, which is surely going to net a lot of rookie players at the moment. Trying to make any judgment about balance under these circumstances is just silly.

Vortex change can't be clarified as a buff or a nerf.

I do not see the changed saying anything about

I also only listed the buffs because they outway the nerfs by far.

Dual Railguuns aren't even a buff as you can only fire one at a time in which case you might as well just have a single rail exo.

The babbler change was needed.

Fade movement wasn't nerfed, they just require more energy usage.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Dude, ns2stats by default shows the past 2 weeks, which WAS horribly biased toward aliens. Change the filter to only show today and you find marines have a slightly more than 50% win rate. Stop spouting bullshit.

Unfortunately almost all of the pub servers in NS2 are 20-24. I try to join 16 player servers when I can, but they're usually empty.

From 29.08.2013 - 29.08.2013 Marines only have a >50% winrate in 10-15 below matches, so thanks for proving my point

Yeah, from a massive sample base of 26 played rounds. ~~woah~~
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Surefour You are either completely stupid or a troll most games are ended in the 10-25 minute window, excluding the alien base rush which is the 0-5 minute window... the graph then says for the 10-15 minute window marines win 75% of the time... in the 15-35 minute window the game is 50/50 win rate... since the majority of the games are ended in the 10-30 minute window, maines are not underpowered... get your facts right and like I said stop commenting on balance if you are as inexperienced as you seem to be
    @Surefour You are either completely stupid or a troll most games are ended in the 10-25 minute window, excluding the alien base rush which is the 0-5 minute window... the graph then says for the 10-15 minute window marines win 75% of the time... in the 15-35 minute window the game is 50/50 win rate... since the majority of the games are ended in the 10-30 minute window, maines are not underpowered... get your facts right and like I said stop commenting on balance if you are as inexperienced as you seem to be

The 15-35 window is no where near 50/50. It's below 33% for marines.

But I might aswell just stop posting since they devs are never going to respond to a post and this just seems to be clouded by fanboys besides the few that actually like to explain their reasoning.
    Rautapalli wrote: »

Yeah, from a massive sample base of 26 played rounds. ~~woah~~

I only brought that up because Stele007 insisted that I do.
  • baconliciousbaconlicious Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187199Members
    edited August 2013
    Do you guys only balance around competitive 6v6 play
    where these random nerfs/buffs with no interval between them balances competitive? every month the game changes so much that u become a rookie
    and for what i can see from the changelog, aliens loses early game = alien loses the game, aliens are even with the marines = maybe they have a chance, aliens have 5rts in 8 minutes = mb they win.
    that because now you have to waste 300res to get some lifeform going with some upgrades. 35res per alien path or whatever, really? Dont even care about those late game features, 9biomass for fade egg and some abilities? 9 biomass = 3hives, when u get 3hives on a comp 6v6 u prob will win with or without those new things.
    and lets say, 4res for cysts + 10res rt + 8res drifter. now you waste almost half your starting res to grab a single rt, if it goes down it's gg. except if u bile rush their cc.
    balanced for competitive 6v6 indeed, im kinda glad i retired before this patch

edit: but 12v12 is for fun, you shouldn't even care if u win or lose, just shoot.

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    might aswell just stop posting since they devs are never going to respond to a post and this just seems to be clouded by fanboys besides the few that actually like to explain their reasoning.

Perhaps instead of dementing into a laughable accusation of 'fanboys' you should just entertain the idea that you're simply wrong.

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2013
    I do not see the changed saying anything about

You see, I actually played the game and compared the Lua files to the old version.
    I wouldn't trust Hugh to catch all changes when he made that changelog, since it's based on what the developers write into their internal commits. And some smaller things can simply be forgotten during that process.

Fade movement got some variables changed, not just more energy consumption. Stuff like how much force it adds, how effective Celerity is in combination with Blink, etc.

EDIT:
    Just took an actual look at Hugh's changelog. There are quite a few things missing from it, like supply cost adjustments, Onos Carapace buff, Flamethrower damage reduction, Ink cooldown increase, etc.

If you argue solely based on that list, your case is lost already.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    CrushaK wrote: »

f___, i didn't realize it was a free weekend... i was wondering why the hell there were so many greenies on the server... ugh, at least i was already reluctant to play it for performance reasons.
    edited August 2013

The 15-35 window is no where near 50/50. It's below 33% for marines.

But I might aswell just stop posting since they devs are never going to respond to a post and this just seems to be clouded by fanboys besides the few that actually like to explain their reasoning.

You're looking at the wrong dates or are too stupid to realize that you're looking at build 251 data as well... filter the results to include only 252&253...

I'm very near to coming to the conclusion you're just a troll since you joined the forum on the 15th and the only post you have are these troll post on this tread.
  • RevyRevy Join Date: 2008-03-22 Member: 63928Members
    I'd say I had the balance issues bang on for servers larger than 12....all the way up to 32 it was done to perfection, the latest expansion has brought in everything I had enabled and scripted into the game since it most of this stuff you see now has been in just turned off! in the LUA files I have been tempted to come back to the game but reading a lot about the balance issues still and the fact the game still does not look like we are going to get a nice 32 man server going still..Ill hang back a little bit more
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes, they do.

/thread
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    edited August 2013
    a nice solution to all this is to make pubies play 6v6-8v8 instead of god awful server and client performance breaking 12v12

this is not about balancing comp play vs pub play, its about balancing for player count, and so far 6v6-8v8 is more balanced, so play on those servers, cant? well instead of complaining about this complain about how every server is 12v12..
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    If you expect one of the single most asymmetrical competitive games ever made to be balanced for both 6v6 and 12v12, you're gonna have a bad time.

Playing 12v12 NS2 is like playing 64 man metro in BF3. Fun as fuck, but retarded as all hell.

It can be balanced using dynamic parameters. At least if not perfect it wouldn't be a mess depending on server population. Nothing requiring a genius.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    If you expect one of the single most asymmetrical competitive games ever made to be balanced for both 6v6 and 12v12, you're gonna have a bad time.

Playing 12v12 NS2 is like playing 64 man metro in BF3. Fun as fuck, but retarded as all hell.

It can be balanced using dynamic parameters. At least if not perfect it wouldn't be a mess depending on server population. Nothing requiring a genius.

Dynamic parameters like what?
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I'd like to answer your snide topic title with a snide response: Do people even bother to consider that:

* The last patch (b254 at time of writing) is VERY recent
    * There is a free weekend going on
    * UWE recommends a maximum player count of 16 players per server

So you're playing a new patch with a lot of unoptimized new features, hordes of rookies and hilarious high player counts.
    And you wonder why balance feels off?
    Give it a few days.

Closing topic.
This discussion has been closed.