Skulk - is now faintly gnarling in regular intervals when idle, which can be heard by marines

zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
Omg this is getting worse. Why not remove silent walking altogether if you plan to nerf the Skulk's stealth aspect?

I always thought it was one of the Skulks merits to be able to be silent and wait for a prey. Now you've just taken away that ability. Guess it's less stealth and more run & gun then.

Talking about fixing stuff that isn't broken.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Yes, this is terrible. The new sounds shouldn't randomly play for any lifeform when slow walking or standing still.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    Wow, i didnt know that. Fairly retarded decision.

So its phantom for silence or aura for noisy scouting with no surprise head drops....
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    gorges has a sound to them aswell becouse i kept hearing a gorge in the darkness but he was standing still with cloak and i ran around with flashlight and axe becouse i was out of ammo, then commander gave me an ammo so i reloaded and turned to the sound and shot the gorge straight on! so the rest of the round he accused me for wallhack or something but i just followed the sound. Unless it was a skulk right next to the gorge but i am under the impression they gnarl aswell or breath kinda wierdly when idle.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    On the fence on the random growls. I do think lerk and fade need to have random growls if they don't have silence.

The one sound mechanic that really should be put in though is the skulk panting for when you're moving fast. It was so cute too.. =D
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I did notice Skulk + Lerk have the faint growls, but as far as I can tell, only after a fast movement stops.
    Then after a few secs on stationary, they go completely silent as before.

* just saw that 253 is out...no idea if this subject has changed in that build, but gonna find out now.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    Well, I noticed this too, except it's EVERYWHERE, as in I can't tell if there's a skulk in my base, in topo/skylights or if it's just bugged and too long range. If it's working as is, then the marine probably has super-sight and would have spotted you without that sound effect.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    There's quite a few odd changes in b253, including this particularly inexplicable addition. Historically, higher lifeforms (not skulks) used to emit growls at random intervals in ns1, but it was never explained why they did so and its only effect on gameplay was negative (neutering stealth for all non-skulk lifeforms). I, and other veterans whom I discussed this subject with during beta development of ns2, assumed uwe had realized this and that's why they chose to not implement it at all in ns2, but it is now clear that; to quote a recent prequel movie that compares to its original in the same way ns2 compares to ns1; we were so wrong!
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    @fanatic, i really hope it's not permanent. Audio clues that give away your position like how @RadimaX describes above, totally deform the gameplay.

There's this other game i used to play, Red Orchestra2, that does the same thing. It makes your character shout out random stuff at random times, completely destroying any sneaky / stealthy advancing you're doing. End result, hardly anybody sneaks around, it's mostly running & gunning.

Can't wait for a "Hush now Aliens! Mod".
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013
    zeep wrote: »

Or a hold breath button as new feature.

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Bicsum wrote: »

Yay, more buttons! Like it's not enough already pressing forward+left+crouch+two different commands for "dash forward" with fades.
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members
    This reminds me of Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm. Your soldier randomly shouts or talks giving away your position while you are going all sneaky peeky like :(
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Bicsum wrote: »

Yay, more buttons! Like it's not enough already pressing forward+left+crouch+two different commands for "dash forward" with fades.

I bet it would sound like Beethoven's ninth symphony when applied on a piano.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Plus , it also do it when you're NOT idle.

It seems to depend on the moment you start "idle-ing". Like a timer that still count because you were idle 1sec.
    -Sec 0 -> 1 = idle, timer starts.
    -At second 1+ you start moving, timer reach 0 (Say at 1.5), and the marine hear you; turn 180 degrees... and we're... f... ... back to the "jumping beans" contest.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Can you verify that it can be heard in third person? If so I'm pretty sure this is a bug (a bit of a weird one I might add). I was under the impression the intent was first person only.

At least you don't have randomly pitch shifted skulk meowing when you're in a vent as a female marine. I still have no idea what the fuck was going on with that build.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2013
    This is an awful idea. Not only because it will be infuriating as a skulk, the terrible sound physics of this game (sound seeming to completely ignore obstructions, like 5 metre thick metal walls) will make it annoying for marines as well.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I still make the noise when I pick phantom, not sure if others can hear it but if they can what on earth is phantom for :S
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Vigilantia wrote: »
    Well, I noticed this too, except it's EVERYWHERE, as in I can't tell if there's a skulk in my base, in topo/skylights or if it's just bugged and too long range. If it's working as is, then the marine probably has super-sight and would have spotted you without that sound effect.

Yeah I've had this quite often, no direction to the noise and it doesn't seem to get quieter or louder when I move around.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Sorry this is a bug, the sound should not be playing when sneaking or standing still. The fix won't make it into the hotfix we are planning on getting out today, but we'll get this fixed for next week
    Glad to hear that.

So it won't make that sound when sneaking or standing still, whether you have Phantom or not?

• soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2013