Build 252 Will Not Launch

das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Steam just completed updating NS2 with the new build and now the game wont launch. Double click the icon, steam box says 'launching', for a second, then it disappears and I'm not in the game. No error log, no nothing.

I am... UPSET.

Please fix what you broke! I wanna play your game. I want to play it right NOW! RIGHT NOAW!!!1111

Comments

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I would try removing the file at %appdata%/Natural Selection2/system_options.xml that should reset your graphics options completely.
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No dice. thanks for trying though.

I guess I'll post dxdiag.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Do you have any mods enabled?

Is there anything at all in %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/log.txt?

• das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    There was something. I deleted it.
  • destroyerjjbgdestroyerjjbg Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183467Members
    same for me. 1st method dosent work.
    I think i have many mods downloaded, dunno if enabled by default, think no.

im on windows xp 32 bits sp3
    i will try windows 7 64 bits

i know i have some issues with memory , think one module fails dunno it will be the problem,think no

greets
    Well. I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling. that does not work.

When I attempt to launch from steam. The dialog 'preparing to launch' pops up, and next to the 'Natural Selection 2' on my games list the word 'syncing' appears for a split second. Then disappears along with the 'preparing to launch dialog box' and nothing happens, no game.

When I open the task manager and attempt to launch, the first time I try nothing happens in the task manager. The second time, natural selection 2 pops up in the applications tab for a split second and then disappears.

:(
  • DaveglwDaveglw Join Date: 2004-09-27 Member: 31957Members
    exactly the same issue here.....now reinstalling
    C.A.T.
    edited August 2013
    Guys, if you are having this issue.

If you have not already done so, please provide a dxdiag.

EDIT: Verify your game files using the steam client.

Additionally, try to give the game a second to figure out what is going on when you load into the menu.

Finally, try the nuke it from orbit option in Obraxis' Post

Let me know how it goes from there:/

edit: spellings, added steam verify step

• CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    edited August 2013
    Can you attempt to run the game, then post your %AppData%\Natural Selection 2\log.txt ? Preferably, in a pastebin link.
    I had deleted that in an attempt to get the game running earlier. When I try to launch the game now, a new one is NOT created. Therefore I can't do that.
    edited August 2013
    same for me. 1st method dosent work.
    I think i have many mods downloaded, dunno if enabled by default, think no.

im on windows xp 32 bits sp3
    i will try windows 7 64 bits

i know i have some issues with memory , think one module fails dunno it will be the problem,think no

greets

after a long load(30-40 s and like 2 attemps) game starts in windows 7 64 bits. The restarts got shorter.
    NOw i have a issue with the perfomance test that appears after start menu, like ur files game dosent match servers. Usually i get rid of this
    exit steam and reentering. I will try the disable mods if i cant pass the perfomance test.
    Btw neither to me , logs created when attemping to launch the game. The old was related to servers crashing.
    If you get the files do not match error when joining a local server please validate your game files in steam. IT should get fixed real nice.

I guess I should have added that before nuke everything.

Will edit.

edited August 2013
    that dosent work for me in windows xp 32 bits,at least for the problem launching game.
    and honestly didnt try in windows 7 64 bits but think dosent help. For me helps entering diferents servers. When one load then others usually gets fine with no files error. I still think is about my memorys modules coz got a lot of checksum errors decompressing rars but will try validate cache steam.
    ths for the tips btw.

mm i got new idea was wrong in windows 32 xp . If i go to steam folders , ns2, and launch from exe, the error message says about didnt find d3d11.dll.
    I think i need how to change d3d11.dll for d3d9.dll request for the .exe

greets
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    same problem, verified, deleted all files, re-installed. No luck. Guess i wont be playing tonight, thanks UWE :]
  • DaveglwDaveglw Join Date: 2004-09-27 Member: 31957Members
    both laptop and main pc will not start NS2 this morning. just a quick box saying starting...try a restart says already running. (not according to task manager).
    Reinstall NS on both machines twice, and reinstall steam....also clearing the hidden app folders etc.
    Still on both computers......won't run. Dxdiag run and fine all drivers up to date.
    It cannot be machine specific issue as both are very different and the issues started at the same time.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Same prob here Dave, Why wasnt this a opt-in option like the previous un-stable tests?
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I get the same problem on my laptop, it loads fine on my main computer...
    @destroyerjjbg to switch from directx11 to directx 9 manually you can edit system_options.xml in %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/

Look for a tag that looks like <device>D3D11</device> and change the 11 to 9 or opengl.

@tallhotblonde and zero can you guys give me the output of your dxdiag. the more we can tighten down the issue the better.

Thanks.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Confused wrote: »
    @destroyerjjbg to switch from directx11 to directx 9 manually you can edit system_options.xml in %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/

Look for a tag that looks like <device>D3D11</device> and change the 11 to 9 or opengl.

Weird. My system_options.xml file did not have the device tag in it. I tried to add it myself but it still did not work.

edited August 2013
    Go into your steam folder, then find where your natural selection 2 is stored. Attempt to launch from the ns2 application in said folder. If it tells you that a directx file is missing, then go download and reinstall directx: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
    Fixed it for myself and one other so far.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    das0308 wrote: »

I went to install this but it said I had the newest version already.

Also, after uninstalling NS2 and then blasting the %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ folder, I reinstalled NS2.

After the reinstall I noticed that I no longer have the %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ folder. I guess this gets created when the game starts but when I start the game it says D3D11.dll not found.

I am running Windows XP.

If someone would post their system_options.xml file for build 252 and I made the <device>D3D9</device> change, maybe it would let me launch?
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I should note that when I said that my NS2 has the same issue and will not launch that is on x64 windows 7. So the problem is likely not OS related or caused by that user having XP.
  • AndreAndre Join Date: 2013-08-03 Member: 186534Members
    "D3d11.dll is Missing or Not Found"

I have WinXP SP3 32bit.
    Direct11 > WIndowsVista, i guess
    If someone would post their system_options.xml file for build 252 and I made the <device>D3D9</device> change, maybe it would let me launch?
    dito,

deleted my NS2-User-folder too ....
  • FoelliXFoelliX Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22668Members
    deleted ns2 appdata folder completely and unsubscribed to all mods... fixed the problem for me
  • LeopardLeopard Join Date: 2013-08-25 Member: 187078Members
    I'm having the same problem, the game will not launch because d3d11.dll couldn't be found. I'm on Windows XP 32 bits, which doesn't have DX 11.
    In case it helps: here is a copy of a usable system_options.xml it runs open gl.

I have a feeling that it probably wont help those of you on xp but who knows

• gigglesworthgigglesworth Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186967Members
    edited August 2013
    Confused wrote: »
    I would try removing the file at %appdata%/Natural Selection2/system_options.xml that should reset your graphics options completely.

Thanks a bunch. This worked for me.

In my case the game fails to load if I select 'OpenGL' from the Video options. The default video driver appears to be D3D9, which isn't working well on my system.
    edited August 2013
    nothing working touching system_options_xml for me. Not the line <device>D3D9</device> added
    neither the custom openg gl one.
    Neither remove ns2 app data or unsubscribe mods works for me.
    Hope friday with new patch it works on xp 32 for me ths.

And new patch thursday morning 253 make all works again.
    Still dislike alien vision but looks a bit better . Too orange brightness for me.

greets