Different NS

xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Warning. This is a not suggestion for developers or even modders to create new game mode/rebalance existing game. It's just a question.

1. So, how do you think, would it be FUN (just crazy fun, no balance, comp or whatever) to play a game mode where:
Res are ticking five times faster.
Respawns are instant.
Construction and researches are five times faster.
Every lifeform can xenocide with explosion scaling accordingly to lifeform cost.
Jets and exos get 5 times more fuel.
Aliens get 5 times more energy.
Marines can go backwards as fast as forward.
Marines ammo capacity is doubled.
Armories restoring armor.
No restrictions for placing structures (no supply points, no sentry limits, no hydra limits)
Etc.
Shortly: crazy action packed NS.

2. How do you think, would it be INTERESTING to play a game mode where:
Res are ticking two times slower.
Everything is building/researching three times slower.
Tech trees are more complicated (i.e. a3w3, nanoshiled research, proto only with 2 CC, need 1 biomass for each upgrade structure placed, more things require research first, like welders, whips, bonewall, scan etc).
Respawn takes 30 seconds.
Etc.
Shortly: intelligent strategical NS.

Would you play any of these?

Comments

• delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    I'd play the second one but that's because I come from a mod like Project Reality.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    NS is somewhere in between those two at current state, it got both lots of action and strategy. Depending on a mood, sometimes I wish it was faster so you could just deathmatch using all the advanced stuff, but still have all the base building stuff (so combat won't fit). And sometimes I wish it was more slow and relaxing, where you gotta think more than you shoot, where walking without an axe and not sprint is not considered disadvantage for your team.
    That's why I am starting this thread. I want to know you opinions about NS at different speeds.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    First one sounds like ns1 combat with xmenu/buildmenu/50levels. And yes I loved my lvl 5 uranium Lmg...

Second one sounds like current ns2 but having the average round stretched from 20 to over an hour... Most people would prob not play as it would probably prolong games where it's more or less over...

Not sure if your trying to put out two opposite extremes to show which way game play should shift or what but as always I'm sure this community will argue over which is better... In the end ill still be playing NS as I always have because that's just what u do when you have an adictive personality...
  • RenohRenoh Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165298Members
    I think that the first option would be a good idea because often I only have a short amount of time to play, so I want to be able to hop in to the action right away.

I'm also for a slower paced gamemode, but there are some inherent problems:
    *Any balance issues between aliens/marines would be enlarged
    *Any skill discrepancies would also become really unbalancing, as individual life forms and weapons would take longer to get and thus be more valuable
    *Commander would have more influence over the game (this could be a pro or a con, depending on your commander)
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    delta78 wrote: »
    I'd play the second one but that's because I come from a mod like Project Reality.

Project Reality in Battlefield 2, ah, sweet memories. I remember being a part of a squad that was assigned one truck and all we did was driving along the battle lines, digging trenches, building bunkers and stuff all the time. Little shooting, just shoveling and more shoveling, until our truck drove across a mine. Those were the days...

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    The first one sides like the universally panned CustomX servers Australia had for NS 1, you could log into those bad boys once a week and whatever crazy setup they had running had changed from game modes to forced models to everything else inbetween. It also sounds like an absolute performance nightmare, specifically speaking for NS2.

Second one sounds like something a lot of people claim they want on forums "I just need more strategy in my FPS mannnnn" yet the sales of games like Rainbow 6 (even after dumbing it down), Americas Army, Operation Flashpoint, Project I.G.I and Arma (sans zombie mods) tell otherwise. Pretty sure concept vs gameplay crash and die a horrible painful death.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Something like this already exsited, it was called combat but someone took it out.
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    second one is what ns should be (and was), first one is where it's gone, sadly, right now. (i still cry every time i see a flame at 3 min )

with the second type, game wouldn't be already decided after 5 min. Wich is one of the biggest thing to blame for the lack of players imho
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Alternate games modes are unlikely to ever be officially included in the game as developed by UWE, but user created game modes using the mod system are highly encouraged. The ModJam that UWE did a few months back is a great demonstration of what you can do in a pretty short amount of time.

That caveat out of the way - not sure I'd play either of those. The first sounds kind of lulzy, but not actually like that much fun (and would probably blow up the server in short order). The second just sounds tedious.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Know pain wrote: »
    Something like this already exsited, it was called combat but someone took it out.

Nah, combat is like deathmatch with unlocks. In first one, you'd still get comm, researches, bases, RTs... it's just crazy fast with lifeforms and weapons always always affordable and large amounts of ammo/energy so you are not forced to stop/go back all the time. Plus some fun, like onocide.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can haz onos mount?
    james888 wrote: »
    Can haz onos mount?

Since no lifeform is that valuable there and respawns are instant, yes, onos mount should be in.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I was playing with an idea running along the same lines as this. Some kind of survivor mode where research is faster, but there are simply NO respawns
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    I would play #1 over #2 anyday.

I prefer a much more action orientated FPS game than a slow drawn out game.
  • RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
    1. I would hate it.

2. I would hate it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    mattji104 wrote: »
    I was playing with an idea running along the same lines as this. Some kind of survivor mode where research is faster, but there are simply NO respawns

That would work on a high population server. It would be harder for aliens though, because as a skulk I play in a way I expect to die but do more damage. I would have to play different. More reserved. But then once higher life forms come out, it would be harder for marines.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    mattji104 wrote: »

The games would last ~1 minute.