Why do marines move slowly while going backwards?

McBernsMcBerns Join Date: 2013-08-04 Member: 186563Members
Is this UWE's balance logic or something?

Comments

• aYosaYos Join Date: 2013-01-14 Member: 179469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    McBerns wrote: »
    Is this UWE's balance logic or something?
    yes
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited August 2013
    This is all I could think of after reading this:

(apologies for the terrible quality)
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's not like you can walk fullspeed backwards without bumping into something.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd like to see anyone run backwards as easily as they run forwards, while aiming a gun.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Simple: Kiting

What do you think will happen when a ranged fighter with half a brain plays vs a melee one?
    And now explain how you would balance that, if marines could (ridiculously) sprint backwards.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's not about realism, it's about balance. Yes, kiting. It happens with exos already (it didn't before they were patched, they used to walk slowly backwards before as well) and it's pretty annoying but oh well it's okay because they cost 40/60 res and take a long time to research I guess -_- .

I'm pretty sure with some practice you can learn to run backwards pretty fast while shooting IRL xD ... not that it would be very useful, unless you're about to be fighting aliens I suppose. But incidentally I guess it's also more "realistic" (which is entirely pointless/useless/meaningless "argument" for anything in a game).
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Marines need a rollerblades upgrade, where shooting would give you backwards acceleration.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2013
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Marines need a rollerblades upgrade, where shooting would give you backwards acceleration.
    Pfft rollerblades... More like they need rocketboots awyeah and I'm with @F0rdPrefect on this one, good points!
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    You should never be going backwards as a marine anyway. It's all about the sidesteps.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    It is a bit excessive... Most games you do move slower backwards, but in NS2 it's like hitting a brick wall.

The kiting argument is a bit weak, considering marines have TURBOBOOST™ acceleration sideways.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    BentRing wrote: »
    You should never be going backwards as a marine anyway. It's all about the sidesteps.

Nah. If you're not in a rush and need to retreat, why not backpedal. +vision +aiming buffs.
    I've got more of a thought process that you should always be looking for an ambush, especially in a case where the enemy knows my position and where I'll be going. If I backpedal because of the need to retreat, the aliens that stopped my path should certainly tell those skulks trying to sneak up behind me to go now. A plus on vision in the wrong direction is an overall negative.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I'd like to see anyone run backwards as easily as they run forwards, while aiming a gun.

I wonder how many people who play this game actually have discharged a firearm. Actually hitting things while rapidly moving forward with a firearm isn't that easy (if you look at videos of embedded journalists in war zones like Iraq pre-2012, US soldiers aren't actively firing when moving. They're moving to positions, firing and then moving again) and trying to do the same thing running backwards is even harder.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

I wonder how many people who play this game actually have discharged a firearm. Actually hitting things while rapidly moving forward with a firearm isn't that easy (if you look at videos of embedded journalists in war zones like Iraq pre-2012, US soldiers aren't actively firing when moving. They're moving to positions, firing and then moving again) and trying to do the same thing running backwards is even harder.

not to mention the friendly fire part, and the whole tripping thing.

Every single male person from my country (finland), more or less. You could easily walk backwards full speed while aiming.

Of course you don't fire while moving in real life. It absolutely kills your accuracy while making you a stupidly easy target since it slows you down. When you're outside, naturally. Indoors just rush and spray & pray lol.
  • CuelCuel Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181295Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is a game, not based on realism. Whatever is possible in real life and not, does not matter. It's a counter to marines mobility, as they should learn positioning instead of rushing straight into a room and back up full speed when they get into an encounter. Jumping around is a temporarily dodge technique which might save you, or not. Running backwards while shooting would be too effective and not to mention, mobility is the aliens advantage
    I doubt anyone is asking for full speed run backwards, would be ridiculous, but a decent walking speed backpedal wouldn't hurt. People would still dodge sideways and by jumping, since the acceleration that way is nuts. Not to mention much more disorienting for a skulk.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Should just replace the physics with quake's. I wouldn't mind rolleyes.png
    Would that be vanilla quake or the pro mod physics? ;)

I only bring it up here because whenever people bring up movement in NS2 (or in general skill based FPS) quake is often mentioned but in the other threads about a comp mod my posts about how quake had a pro mod were conveniently ignored...
  • RenohRenoh Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165298Members
    edited August 2013

It's all about spamming G and running away (faster than the skulks, hopefully).
    Would that be vanilla quake or the pro mod physics? ;)

I only bring it up here because whenever people bring up movement in NS2 (or in general skill based FPS) quake is often mentioned but in the other threads about a comp mod my posts about how quake had a pro mod were conveniently ignored...

Whichever is used in QL, which I believe is the same as in Q3, so...no mod?
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    *read topic*

Oh no... not again...

*read content*

What the f................ ?!?

But some funny replys at least.
  • McBernsMcBerns Join Date: 2013-08-04 Member: 186563Members
    After looking at this thread and the posts, this is actually cracking me up.

:))
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hate the speed cap, but we can't always expect our favorite movement systems to show up in every game.

Just unbind the S key and learn to sidestep backwards.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

If he can juggle going backwards at near full speed, marines should be able to too!